What's new

ASUS RT-N56U beta firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

CL-Jeremy

Regular Contributor
Hi Everybody!

We have been working on a next version of firmware for the RT-N56U. This is beta version 3.0.0.4.154 and we would like feedback about any of the improvements that you enjoyed or any of the things that were missed.

As a precaution, we recommend you save your current settings should you wish to return to the previous firmware. Before using this version, please clear your current settings.

To use this firmware, simply perform a firmware upgrade normally. We also, recommend using a wired connection to upload the firmware to your router to ensure there are no complications.

Mirror 1: https://www.asuswebstorage.com/navigate/s/24397C844F1345FA9B9523E63F2B6AF04

UPDATE 7/31/2012

Beta version 3.0.0.3_165

Mirror 1: https://www.asuswebstorage.com/navigate/s/D76E86F61D6C42DF99F7FD7103046F514

Same precautions and directions apply.

UPDATE 8/21/2012

Beta Version 3.0.0.4_206

Mirror: https://www.asuswebstorage.com/navigate/s/FC00FF291D244202B3BDF14CB28E220C4

Last edited:
?

Jeremy

There is a beta .155 availiable is this older than that version?
Also does this version support the 64 K nvram?

CC

Jeremy

There is a beta .155 availiable is this older than that version?
Also does this version support the 64 K nvram?

CC

This is for the RT-N56U.

The RT-N56u seems to aquire IPV6 address via Comcast but when I run the the IPV6 test it fails. The pc network IP status also say's I have a IPV6 address. Any ideas?

The RT-N56u seems to aquire IPV6 address via Comcast but when I run the the IPV6 test it fails. The pc network IP status also say's I have a IPV6 address. Any ideas?

From what I know, Comcast is still working with Asus on resolving the compatibility issues between Asuswrt and Comcast's native IPv6. Someone in the RT-N66U section of Asus's VIP forums is in contact with one of the Comcast engineers involved in the IPv6 project, and as of a few days ago, they had partly resolved the issues, but there was still work left to be done. Reference: http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx..._id=11&model=RT-N66U (VER.B1)&page=1&count=14

Last edited:
I already submitted this report, but thought I would add it here to see if others have the same issues.

Previous firmware:
https://code.google.com/p/rt-n56u/ 1.1.2.0-002
I did set the firmware back to factory defaults before uploading ASUSWRT 3.0.0.3.135. And even after I updated to ASUSWRT 3.0.0.4_154 I reset to factory defaults.

USB:
WD2500JB-00REA0 250Gb, formatted as NTFS

Browsers:
Firefox 13.01
IE 9.0.8112.16421
Browser add-ons:
Flash 10.3.183.20 (don’t ask me to update to the newer flash, as it’s broken in Firefox 13.01 and Win7)
Java SE 7 U5 10.5.1.255

Traffic Monitor:
Using Firefox, It updates properly for the “Internet” tab, but when I select any of the other tabs (Wired, Wireless (2.4Ghz), Wireless (5Ghz)), it will show the graph for a second or two, then revert just to the “Internet” tab.

Using IE things work properly

USB Applications (fresh USB drive):
Installing “Media Server ver. 1.0.0.13” will install the “Download Master ver. 3.1.0.58”. But you cannot manage the “Download Master” (http://192.168.1.1:8081/task.asp) it will lockup the browser (either Firefox or IE), and still shows “Media Server” as not installed. You cannot stream any files on the USB Drive

Installing “Download Master” first, you can manage the “Download Master” (http://192.168.1.1:8081/task.asp) no problem.
Then install “Media Server” and you cannot manage either the “Download Master” (http://192.168.1.1:8081/task.asp) or “Media Server” (http://192.168.1.1:8081/mediaserverui/mediaserver.asp). Both lock up the browser (either Firefox, or IE). Although, you can stream files from the USB drive.

When browsing steaming content on some clients, the Linux penguin icon is shown instead of the RT-N56U router icon (petty complaint, I know, but shows that more QC is needed).

Although, I do believe that when you install the "Download Master" and/or "Media Server" the packages are pulled down from ASUS (not enough room in the firmware to have those locally), so they might need to be looked at.
Otherwise, everything else I tested worked fine.

Also, looking at the 'www' directory, there are several .asp files that are outdated that can be removed (ex: old media server config page) to gain space, or are not available from the any active page (ex: guest network).

Another improvements I would like to see, is trying to get faster transfer rates when copy files to an attached USB drive (big wish, but realize it may not be possible).

There is a bug in QOS. If you try to add a new rule in the transferred section you cant add 512~KB only ~512KB as in the default rules for file transfers.

If you want to try this out select HTTP, SSL, File transfers from the sevice name section and it defaults to ~512 Which is basically the same as WWW.

Apart from this everything seems pretty good and its great to see they finally fixed time of day to enable radio :D

I have "Media Server" and "Download Master" working. Removed the daemons, and reinstalled, and got newer versions:

Download Master ver. 3.1.0.59
Media Server ver. 1.0.0.14

Again the only caveat is that you have to have both installed and running to get the Media Server configuration pages.

Also, I'm getting ~9-10 MB/sec transfer rate with a NTFS USB drive attached (gigabit, Ethernet connection) . Impressive! :D (It was a quick-n-dirty copy/paste with copying up some MP3 files with windows explorer).

Quick test of the Download Master (pulled down "ubuntu-12.04-alternate-i386.iso" via torrent) wasn't to bad, average 1000.00 KBps download. Still a bit quirky as when it was done, it didn't show up in the "finished" when it was done. But I could select "Clear completed tasks" and clear it out as it was available in the "Completed" directory.

I set up my RT-N56U this morning and installed this beta, but is there a final firmware with the new GUI? When I checked the firmwares from the link in the router the newest one had the old GUI.
Where can I find a final firmware with the new GUI?

I did not see a way to release the WAN IP address with this firmware. I had to go back to v1.0.1.8g firmware to be able to release my WAN IP address. I can't switch back and forth between my old router and the ASUS if I can't release the IP address from my FIOS ONT each time before switching.

I set up my RT-N56U this morning and installed this beta, but is there a final firmware with the new GUI? When I checked the firmwares from the link in the router the newest one had the old GUI.
Where can I find a final firmware with the new GUI?

Considering they posted this first beta only a few days ago, I don't think a final release will be available for at least a while.

I did not see a way to release the WAN IP address with this firmware. I had to go back to v1.0.1.8g firmware to be able to release my WAN IP address. I can't switch back and forth between my old router and the ASUS if I can't release the IP address from my FIOS ONT each time before switching.
I don't know if this will work, but...

Try going to the network map, Internet status, and turn connection status to off. That might release your WAN IP address.

Just found your other post... never mind.

Last edited:
Locked up.

Well, I got the router to lockup yesterday.

I was doing a torrent download via my local computer (wireless connection) using uTorrent. After the torrent finished downloading the router locked up hard. I couldn't access any of the web pages, nor could I telnet into the router.

I tried to connect via cable, no go. Tried another computer to connect to the router (wireless or cable), again, no go.

Had to power cycle the router. It looks like the log files are overwritten when the system reboots, so I can't see if there were any anomalies.

Some suggestions

I like the new Firmware, especially the Parent Control and the new QoS features.

I have a few suggestions:
1. in the wizard of "Quick Internet Setup", when setup SID passwords, better to have a way to swich between hidden text and plain text. The input page doesn't show plain text but the summary pages does. It is strange.

2. In old versions, I can temporarily disable a client from Network Map->Client->Client status. I hope the new version can keep this feature.

3. In Traffic Monitor, I hope Daily statistics can have Internet usage data. I don't care wired nor wireless data. My ISP Comcast has usage cap.

4. Better to have SSH and SSL.

I'm glad Asus is still working on RT-N56U.

ipv6

Anyone managed to get ipv6 working ?

My ISP is RDS-RCS (Romanian one )

Now my isp offers a PPPOE connection and for ipv6 it state the requirements for router to PPPoE/v6 si DHCPv6 Prefix Delegation

Which i believe translates to DHCP-PD and interface PPP in router's configuration .
I tried everything but i cant get it working

here is the log:

Code:
Jul 21 09:16:39 radvd[1453]: version 1.9.1 started
Jul 21 09:16:39 radvd[1453]: IPv6 forwarding seems to be disabled, but continuing anyway.
Jul 21 09:16:39 radvd[1453]: no auto-selected prefix on interface br0, disabling advertisements
Jul 21 09:16:39 notify_rc : start_httpd
Jul 21 09:16:39 RT-N56U: start httpd
Jul 21 09:16:39 dhcp6s[1452]: server6_init: failed to initialize control message authentication
Jul 21 09:16:39 dhcp6s[1452]: server6_init: skip opening control port
Jul 21 09:16:40 radvd[1453]: attempting to reread config file
Jul 21 09:16:40 radvd[1453]: no auto-selected prefix on interface br0, disabling advertisements
Jul 21 09:16:40 radvd[1453]: resuming normal operation
Jul 21 09:16:40 radvd[1453]: attempting to reread config file
Jul 21 09:16:40 radvd[1453]: no auto-selected prefix on interface br0, disabling advertisements
Jul 21 09:16:40 radvd[1453]: resuming normal operation

well it seems now ipv6 is working. strange thou. I'm pretty sure it wasnt isp related since it was working on win7 directly at that time and i haven't changed anything on router from 2 days ago

RT-N56U beta firmware

Hi Everybody!
We have been working on a next version of firmware for the RT-N56U. This is beta version 3.0.0.4.154 and we would like feedback about any of the improvements that you enjoyed or any of the things that were missed.
Firstly, thanks very much for making this beta publicly available. I'll list my feedback below as succinctly as I can. Please let me know if you need any more detail.

Browser: Safari 6.0

1. The new interface is one of the most aesthetically pleasing I've ever seen on a wireless router - while remaining reasonably intuitive and feature-rich. Nice work.

2. Main page (index.asp), "System Status/2.4GHz or 5GHz tab:" When the page is initially loaded, the SSID and WPA-PSK key are highlighted in a pale yellow. If I click on the other frequency (either 2.4 or 5GHz), the highlighted fields are no longer pale yellow, but a blueish-grey. All subsequent switches between tabs cause Safari to offer to save the password in the keychain.

3. QoS Automatic mode (QoS_EZQoS.asp): This feature indicates that web surfing and online gaming are the highest priority. It doesn't mention VOIP or streaming video, which I believe are more likely to be a concern for SOHO users.

4. QoS User defined rules (Advanced_QOSUserSpec_Content.asp): Related to above.. The popular services don't include entries for 'streaming video,' or 'VOIP,' which I feel are fairly popular services.

5. Firmware upgrade check (Advanced_FirmwareUpgrade_Content.asp): Clicking the 'Check' button produces a response of 'Not support.'

6. Traffic Monitor (Main_TrafficMonitor_daily.asp): Traffic history is not maintained after a reboot. As this information is very valuable to users with quota limits (hooray for Comcast), it would be nice if it could be maintained through a router restart/firmware upgrade. If necessary, perhaps it could be stored to USB connected media (flash drive, etc). As a cool/no-one-else-has feature, it would be interesting if the user could enter their ISP billing date and have a monthly bandwidth tally displayed on the main page, or in the space to the right of the 'reboot' button.

7. Network map / client status (index.asp): Although the new DHCP assignment interface is a big improvement, it would be convenient if there were an option to click on a listed client and add it to the DHCP list for manual IP address assignment.

8. WAN / Virtual Server / Port Forwarding (Advanced_VirtualServer_Content.asp): Famous Server List? :)

Again, thanks for making this available, and for listening to feedback. I'm a big fan of the RT-N56U and have recommending it and it's big brother to friends and associates.

Regards.

Is there ever likely to be VLAN and guest WiFi support on the RT-N56U? I recently started using these beta firmwares as the "normal" ones are terrible.

Really like the GUI on these beta versions, and they seem very stable. I look forward to future development.

For some reason FTP (FTPES) WAN connections keeps crashing for time outs, with earlier version (3.0.0.3.116) FTP worked ok. :confused: