What's new

ASUS RT-N56U beta firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

User account permission not allowed to change in FTP

I have enabled FTP, however, new user account permission cannot be changed to R/W or any status other than the default "NO"

Cannot access to Download Master or disable Media Server.

It seems like my USB Applications are all messed up.

I am on 3.0.0.4.206

Thank you in advance for any help to resolve if this is not a bug.

I have enabled FTP, however, new user account permission cannot be changed to R/W or any status other than the default "NO"

I am on 3.0.0.4.206

What version did you upgrade from? Did you reset to defaults before upgrading?

bb

I am on 3.0.0.4.206

There's a button called "Share with Account" - click on that to enable account-based access.

After that, add a user to the list. Select it, then you will be able to toggle access on each folders.

There's a button called "Share with Account" - click on that to enable account-based access.

After that, add a user to the list. Select it, then you will be able to toggle access on each folders.

I tried all that, however, when I hit "Apply" router returns "null" and changes cannot be made.

I probably need to hard rest the unit, if other attempts fail

Thanks for your help

Hello,

Just upgraded to the beta firmware.

Have no beef with it except for the fact that the router has not created an "Ai_disk" folder that holds all of the data on my external HDD (that is connected to the router).

Because of this, I cannot simply map a network connection to the whole drive (rather, i would have to map a drive to each of the several folders).

Any suggestions?

It's still sharing the entire drive, just with a different name. If you named your drive "WD750GB" in windows. Your samba share is \\RT-N56U\WD750GB and all of the drive contents are there. It's nice actually. If you have two drives connected to the router, you can quickly tell which one is which just by looking at the share name.

Personally, I would like to have the choice of either sharing the entire drive, with my choice of the name, or allowing me to share off just the directories/folders I want. Similar to how Cisco does it with their USB enabled routers.

I had to go back to Pavadan's firmware. I use an old WRT54Gv2 running DD-WRT as a bridge/repeater, and with the beta firmware it just goes stupid.

None of the logs on either device show anything out of the ordinary, but any device downstream of the WRT54G has connectivity issues. Timeouts, variable up/down speed, etc.

But if leave everything else alone, and go back to Pavadan's firmware, all is good. Weird. :confused:

Just switched from Padavan's firmware to Beta 206. Very nice, all the basic functions are working well, and I like seeing the IPv6 controls. The GUI is just like the rt-n66u GUI (oddly enough *smile*, glad that Asus is going in this direction), and all the basic functions that I need are there, working, and easily accessible.

Good work, Asus. I'm sure that there are some things that aren't quite perfect *smile*, but I do like the 56u/66u GUI better than Padavan's new interface. Although both are fully functional.

IPv6 works, except my log gets this repeated every second.

Aug 19 13:12:34 RT-N56U: start httpd
Aug 19 13:12:35 notify_rc : start_httpd
Aug 19 13:12:35 rc_service: start_httpd is waitting start_radvd...
Aug 19 13:12:35 radvd[7228]: Exiting, sigterm or sigint received.
Aug 19 13:12:35 radvd[7228]: sending stop adverts
Aug 19 13:12:35 radvd[7228]: removing /var/run/radvd.pid
Aug 19 13:12:35 radvd[7236]: version 1.9.1 started
Aug 19 13:12:36 RT-N56U: start httpd
Aug 19 13:12:36 notify_rc : start_radvd
Aug 19 13:12:36 notify_rc : start_httpd
Aug 19 13:12:36 rc_service: start_httpd is waitting start_radvd...
Aug 19 13:12:36 radvd[7239]: Exiting, sigterm or sigint received.
Aug 19 13:12:36 radvd[7239]: sending stop adverts
Aug 19 13:12:36 radvd[7239]: removing /var/run/radvd.pid
Aug 19 13:12:36 radvd[7237]: Exiting, privsep_read_loop had readn return 0 bytes
Aug 19 13:12:36 radvd[7246]: version 1.9.1 started

After a while the router crashes, presumably because the log gets too full. Tried telnetting in, couldn't work it out.

Error still on .206

I'm getting radvd resets every hour. I'm using 3.0.0.4.206

Aug 31 19:59:57 notify_rc : restart_radvd
Aug 31 19:59:57 radvd[1609]: Exiting, sigterm or sigint received.
Aug 31 19:59:57 radvd[1609]: sending stop adverts
Aug 31 19:59:57 radvd[1609]: removing /var/run/radvd.pid
Aug 31 19:59:57 radvd[1607]: Exiting, privsep_read_loop had readn return 0 bytes
Aug 31 19:59:57 radvd[19073]: version 1.9.1 started
Aug 31 20:59:57 notify_rc : restart_radvd
Aug 31 20:59:57 radvd[19076]: Exiting, sigterm or sigint received.
Aug 31 20:59:57 radvd[19076]: sending stop adverts
Aug 31 20:59:57 radvd[19076]: removing /var/run/radvd.pid
Aug 31 20:59:57 radvd[4035]: version 1.9.1 started
Aug 31 21:59:57 notify_rc : restart_radvd
Aug 31 21:59:57 radvd[4042]: Exiting, sigterm or sigint received.
Aug 31 21:59:57 radvd[4042]: sending stop adverts
Aug 31 21:59:57 radvd[4042]: removing /var/run/radvd.pid
Aug 31 21:59:57 radvd[21420]: version 1.9.1 started
Aug 31 21:59:57 notify_rc : restart_radvd
Aug 31 21:59:57 radvd[4042]: Exiting, sigterm or sigint received.
Aug 31 21:59:57 radvd[4042]: sending stop adverts
Aug 31 21:59:57 radvd[4042]: removing /var/run/radvd.pid
Aug 31 21:59:57 radvd[21420]: version 1.9.1 started

Also my laptop loses the default IPv6 gateway when connected over wireless after 20-30 minutes since establishing the connection which results in no IPv6 internet connectivity. This doesn't happen over LAN, I don't know if it has anything to do with Windows 7 or Atheros wireless card driver. I tried multiple wireless card drivers with no luck, it always loses the default IPv6 after a while and the only solution is to reconnect to the network.

Can someone confirm whether this latest version (4.206) has NAT loopback enabled? If not, is it possible for the user to turn it on via the GUI?

I'm playing with it now, and when I try to 'remote access' the main router page using my DYNDNS address:8060, it times out. In fact, any network resource is unreachable when using the dyndns host address. Yet, if I substitute this with my WAN IP address, it works. I've confirmed that my dyndns host address is pointing to the current WAN IP.

Can someone confirm whether this latest version (4.206) has NAT loopback enabled? If not, is it possible for the user to turn it on via the GUI?

I'm playing with it now, and when I try to 'remote access' the main router page using my DYNDNS address:8060, it times out. In fact, any network resource is unreachable when using the dyndns host address. Yet, if I substitute this with my WAN IP address, it works. I've confirmed that my dyndns host address is pointing to the current WAN IP.

Why do you want to access the remote interface from within your LAN?

Are you asking if I want to, or, why I want to?

I'll answer both. Yes. And here's why.

I have several mobile devices that use wifi at home and at work. Apps that require access to network devices on my LAN from outside my network (i.e. security cameras) are configured with mydyndnsname.com:1234.

That way, if I'm outside my LAN and need to access the camera, I run the app, it connects to mydyndnsname.com:1234 and it works.

Then, I come home, I connect to my LAN. I run the same app to view the camera, and suddenly it can't connect. Instead, I have to create a second camera with the INTERNAL IP address of the device.

In other words, without loopback, I need redundant profiles for all devices which I may want to connect to from WAN or LAN. The original stock firmware has loopback. I can only assume the BETA does not, as it will not allow me to connect to the WAN address if on the LAN.

If there is a 'switch' to turn on loopback, I can't seem to find it.

NAT Loopback is enabled by default in Asuswrt (which means firmware 3.x.x.x). However their implementation is based on a very old design, that is a bit quirky (for instance, it will NAT every single LAN 2 LAN connection, causing various issues).

I'm not sure if you can route through both the NAT loopback AND a port forward at the same time with their implementation.

Last edited:

This the exact problem I get if I remotely change a setting on the router that restarts the wan interface, WAN IP gets changed and my dyndns host is also pointing to the new IP but access using the host name doesn't work, only WAN IP address.

I think this is a somekind of bug inherited over from Tomato days if that's possible as it happens also.

Last edited:
NAT Loopback is enabled by default in Asuswrt (which means firmware 3.x.x.x). However their implementation is based on a very old design, that is a bit quirky (for instance, it will NAT every single LAN 2 LAN connection, causing various issues).

I'm not sure if you can route through both the NAT loopback AND a port forward at the same time with their implementation.

You know, I was going to mention that quirkines, but didn't want to muddy the waters.

After I flashed back to the standard firmware, the WAN redirect to internal wasn't working either. As usual, I was doing it at 3AM when I should have been sleeping. After reverting back to stock, and it not working, I threw in the towel. By the time I awoke in the morning, it was working again.

At first I thought DYNDNS.ORG was having issues, but that didn't make sense, as I was able to get to internal devices using my cell phone when it was connected via 4G (not wifi). I was halfway tempted to retry the beta again, and let it 'stew' overnight to see if it resolves.

On an aside, does anyone know if the BETA version gets rid of (or increase) the 32 port limit for port forwarding rules? I've maxed out, and cannot add a single additional device. The RT-N66U running tomato does not have this limit (but stock it does).

Also, restoring the config file from the non-beta firmware to the beta flashed router works on most settings - except my 32 port forwards. The entire list is gone. While I'd hate to re-enter all the data, I don't mind doing it if the reward is having more than 32 slots.

Are you asking if I want to, or, why I want to?

I'll answer both. Yes. And here's why.

I have several mobile devices that use wifi at home and at work. Apps that require access to network devices on my LAN from outside my network (i.e. security cameras) are configured with mydyndnsname.com:1234.

That way, if I'm outside my LAN and need to access the camera, I run the app, it connects to mydyndnsname.com:1234 and it works.

Then, I come home, I connect to my LAN. I run the same app to view the camera, and suddenly it can't connect. Instead, I have to create a second camera with the INTERNAL IP address of the device.

In other words, without loopback, I need redundant profiles for all devices which I may want to connect to from WAN or LAN. The original stock firmware has loopback. I can only assume the BETA does not, as it will not allow me to connect to the WAN address if on the LAN.

If there is a 'switch' to turn on loopback, I can't seem to find it.

Ah ok. A workaround might be to enter a fixed DNS entry on the router somehow (if you use the router DNS that is). That way, when you are at home mydyndnsname.com would return your internal IP address. I had a similar setup once for my Quake server, but using entries in the hosts files on my LAN PCs. Not elegant, but it works. I realise the hosts file method would not be appropriate for a device that is mobile though - so maybe the RT-N56U has a "hosts" file for defining custom entries in the DNS? I'm a Linux novice, so I may be accused of Everyman Logic here! ;-)

I'm not familiar enough with routing tables to accomplish this. Besides, with 30+ devices that need WAN>LAN access (security cameras, thermostat, powerstrip, router, several PCs,sprinkler, alarm system, etc), I don't know how a single entry could point to all those devices.

As it turns out, it really was a false alarm anyway. After the dialog here yesterday, I decided to bite the bullet and reapply the BETA firmware. I also manually added all 32 port forwards - which BTW, THE HARD LIMIT ON 32 PORT FORWARD RULES STILL EXISTS. :( After installing the firmware, I went to bed. This morning I tried accessing my router setup page by entering the mydyndnsname.com:8060, and it worked like a champ. So whatever glitch/bug is there with nat loopback, it seems to resolve itself.

It astonishes me that such a nice, high-end router (with oodles more power and memory) has a limitation that my 10 year old Linksys WRT54G doesn't. Oh well.

So for now, I'm keeping the BETA firmware. WOULD LOVE to get rid of the 32 device limit (which also exists on static DHCP assignments!).

You know it just dawned on me. It takes a MONTH for Asus to release a revision of their beta firmware. :eek:

So we should be getting something soon.

Any bets on how long it takes to go from beta to supported? :p

I too have had weird things with my old WRT54G working as a bridge/repeater. This firmware, for me, is allowing it to work this time. Weird.

As for Guest WiFi... they have the web page (http://192.168.1.1/Guest_network.asp) but I can't get it to do anything :(

Using 3.0.0.4.206 firmware, the guest network is at best flaky and at worst a nightmare. If you just enable guest1 on 2.4 or 5gHz, it works OK as long as you don't mind having an open guest. But, not only (as the other poster mentioned) is it true that modifying those parameters actually changes the parameters for the non-guest networks, but it also leaves the AsusGuest ssids active. Even more, messing with guest 2 got it confused enough that I felt like I ought to reboot. At that point, the router had actually lost all its settings. Ugh!! If I had the source code, I am pretty sure I would find that there's a mismatch in the index into a table and/or an SSID table that's too small.