What's new

ASUS RT-N66U Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.372.1393

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

So I dont need to worry that the standard firmware appears to have a higher number on the 4th point?

The automated version checker has always been a bit iffy - best to manually upgrade it. See the changelog on Asus's website - if you intend to use AiCloud them upgrading to 372 is mandatory, as previous versions had some major security issues that allowed anyone to remotely access your files without the need for a username/password.

Seems like there is always a way to hack when cloud services are used that why I don't use my Linksys EA-4500 going through a third party server to access a device that's in the next room seems crazy to me.

Seems like there is always a way to hack when cloud services are used that why I don't use my Linksys EA-4500 going through a third party server to access a device that's in the next room seems crazy to me.

Unlike Cisco's cloud service, AiCloud is actually useful. It allows you to remotely access files from either your router or other devices on your network while you're not at home. I used it once while at a friend's place - I remotely streamed a Simpsons episode that was sitting on my HDD at home. Streamed it over AiCloud from my home to my Xoom tablet, which was connected over HDMI to my friend's TV. It was a pretty nice experience - it worked much better than I would have expected.

But I agree that if you don't specifically need that feature, it's safer to leave it disabled.

Asus AiCloud is very slick. It's one of the best things about the router. It also has a Password Protection Feature which is nice too. (look under AiCloud settings).

The irony is that "supposedly" the Linksys "classic" firmware is more vulnerable.

https://superevr.com/blog/2013/dont-use-linksys-routers/

I'm glad that someone discovered the AiCloud vulnerability and Asus fixed it in .372 (and Merlin added the fix and older driver to his new build). But I think all of these router vendors need to spend a little more time (and money) making sure they don't have any glaring vulnerabilities.

Last edited:
Asus AiCloud is very slick. It's one of the best things about the router. It also has a Password Protection Feature which is nice too. (look under AiCloud settings).

The irony is that "supposedly" the Linksys "classic" firmware is more vulnerable.

https://superevr.com/blog/2013/dont-use-linksys-routers/

I'm glad that someone discovered the AiCloud vulnerability and Asus fixed it in .372. But I think all of these router vendors need to spend a little more time (and money) making sure they don't have any glaring vulnerabilities.

Agreed it's almost like they don't even test before the release and they use us as customers to find the problems and issues. I bought my EA-4500 back in May of last year and the only new firmware released was the cloud UI and nothing since then. I often wonder what most people do that just don't have a clue. I guess they don't get what they pay for. sad :(

Unlike Cisco's cloud service, AiCloud is actually useful. It allows you to remotely access files from either your router or other devices on your network while you're not at home

Hi Merlin,

Currently I've an external HD connected to N66U USB port.

I also have a NAS connected N66U LAN port.

Is there anyway I could access the NAS via AiCloud too?

Thanks!

Hi Merlin,

Thanks!

As long you have SMB enabled on the NAS, it will be accessible through AiCloud. Make sure you have Smart Access enabled on the AiCloud section of the webui.

If you use the web version of AiCloud, there will be an entry with the name of your NAS on the left side, just underneath the router's name. Likewise, the mobile application should show you your router, and any other network device that has SMB enabled on it.

When you use the web version (not the android or iOS app) while you're away from home, you type "https://yourddnsname.asuscomm.com" in your web browser. And it will take you to the Asus AiCloud login screen. But it works fine with android/iOS app too.

"yourddnsname" is whatever you setup on the router DDNS.

Hi Merlin,

Thanks!

As long you have SMB enabled on the NAS, it will be accessible through AiCloud. Make sure you have Smart Access enabled on the AiCloud section of the webui.

If you use the web version of AiCloud, there will be an entry with the name of your NAS on the left side, just underneath the router's name. Likewise, the mobile application should show you your router, and any other network device that has SMB enabled on it.

Ok, I'm able to access my NAS via AiCloud now :)

I only need to input my username & password once and was able to navigate freely between folders in the NAS without any problem.

However, for the external HD connected to the N66U USB port, it kept prompting me for username & password whenever I navigate to other folders. My Smart Access & Cloud Disk is already enabled.

Am I missing something here? Thanks!

I had a similar issue last night after I made some changes. I'll try to figure it out tonight, but if you figure it out, please post.

You have to configure share access under USB -> Servers Center -> Network Place. Note that passwords with some non-alphanumerical characters often have issues when you try to authenticate through a web interface.

I'm not sure this has been mentioned anywhere and not exactly sure where to post it, but I signed up to snb to let everyone know:

Additionally with this latest build 3.0.0.4.372.1393, it appears to have broken the PPPoE functionality. I have Century Link DSL and I have the DSL modem set for Transparent Bridging. The previous version 3.0.0.4.372_1363 works just fine, but something in the new build wouldn't allow me to connect to the internet.

I had reset to factory defaults with the latest firmware, manually re-entered the PPPoE settings, but no dice. I tested 2 other routers, another RT-N66U and a Cradlepoint, and the Cradlepoint connected with PPPoE just fine, but the other RT-N66U with the latest firmware wouldn't work.

Once I reverted back one version of the firmware, all was well. So I ruled out having bad hardware, I hope.

Hopefully this gets addressed in the next build, not sure if Asus devs are following this thread or not.

I just received an RT-N66U new from NewEgg today and it has firmware 3.0.0.4.274 on it. I haven't been able to find this version as a download available. Any idea where this version might be available if I want to go back to it from other versions, mainly RMerlin's?

I never heard of 274 The latest Merlin Build is 3.0.0.4.372.31_0 I am using this version now with no issues that I can tell. the Asus 372.1393 and the 372 firmware both have issues on the 5 Ghz band so if you use that band you don't want those firmwares Asus is aware of the problem. All of the Merlin builds for download can be found here.

http://www.mediafire.com/asuswrt-merlin/

Last edited:
Ok, I'm able to access my NAS via AiCloud now :)

I only need to input my username & password once and was able to navigate freely between folders in the NAS without any problem.

However, for the external HD connected to the N66U USB port, it kept prompting me for username & password whenever I navigate to other folders. My Smart Access & Cloud Disk is already enabled.

Am I missing something here? Thanks!

You have to configure share access under USB -> Servers Center -> Network Place. Note that passwords with some non-alphanumerical characters often have issues when you try to authenticate through a web interface.

Yes I've already configured share access under USB -> Servers Center -> Network Place earlier and the password is also non-alphanumerical characters.

Wonder if there's a bug for the AiCloud in this version.

I had a similar issue last night after I made some changes. I'll try to figure it out tonight, but if you figure it out, please post.

Jlake, do you have any luck?

Oric1,

I did have luck. But only after an hour of pulling my hair out. I wish I could tell you exactly what I did that fixed the problem, but I can't. I'll give you a list of things that I did, but not sure which one solved the issue.

1. Reset router to factory defaults
2. Ran ccleaner on all my computers
3. Changed the routers IP address from 192.168.49.1 to 192.168.48.1
4. Configured Firefox to delete "all" history upon exit.
5. Reset aicloud
6. Uninstalled aicloud from my phone
7. Reformatted both USB drives
8. I set everything back up again (including aicloud), remapped the drives to my pc's, reset additional bridged router to factory defaults (and reconfigured) and now everything is working fine (I can login to router and map the drives in windows and Aicloud works)

The firmware doesn't matter because I was having the issue on both stock and Merlin. Currently I'm using Merlin latest .372.31

The only strange things I note is:

I formatted one of the drives to FAT 32 and the other to NTFS, but they now both show up in windows as NTSF.

Also, one of the drives shows up as sdb1 and the other as sdc1 on the GUI whereas Aicloud sees them as sda1 and sdb1.

I thought maybe it was a master browser issue but I had used Merlin firmware to force master browser but that didn't help. But then again, I was running low on patience at that point. ;)

Last edited:
Thanks jlake, will give your suggestions a try and report back on the outcome.

oric1,
also check to see if you have any shared network printers etc. Try unsharing them.
And make sure everything is on the same workgroup. "WORKGROUP"

Date on the Asus website for .372.1393 has been updated. Was there an update to the firmware?