What's new

Asus RT N66U MicroSD

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sitecom

Occasional Visitor
I've got this router and having found out that it has a microsd slot, I would like to know how I can get access to it via ftp or similar as its tucked away under the case.

Currently I have the latest Merlin FW, I know there is Tomato FW which I used quite shortly but which of these FW's is best for accessing the microsd?

Also I have usb stick plugged in, Im able to find it with PC, is there a method to do it with an Android app? If so, some instructions would be really appreciated.

Only threads I saw were quite old and was thinking maybe things changed over the year(s)

Thanks

I'm using noname 2GB SD card.
Currently I have the latest Merlin FW, I know there is Tomato FW which I used quite shortly but which of these FW's is best for accessing the microsd?
At least, asuswrt and asuswrt-merlin can share it as usual USB drive.

One difference I've discovered on asuswrt-merlin is /jffs/scripts/services-start script, which ignores SD card presence.

Last edited:
I'm using noname 2GB SD card.
At least, asuswrt and asuswrt-merlin can share it as usual USB drive.

One difference I've discovered on asuswrt-merlin is /jffs/scripts/services-start script, which ignores SD card presence.

So it will see the card just like it would with a USB stick? I.e. plug and play?

So it will see the card just like it would with a USB stick? I.e. plug and play?
Hi,

Sure you plug the SCcar INTO the router (internal reader) and than you can PLAY around with it! :rolleyes:

But keep in mind then "Plug & P(l)(r)ay" is more of an Windows thing, in Linux (=your router OS) you plug and play around with the command line to make it work! :eek:

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

Sorry should have been more clear, (plug and play was wrong term to use) what I mean is when I use a USB stick, I can see it easily as a mounted device. I have an app on android called bubbleupnp and it can see the router when the USB stick is in, so I can play media.

What I'm asking is does having microsd plugged in permanent, it it detectable how a usb stick is?

Sorry should have been more clear, (plug and play was wrong term to use) what I mean is when I use a USB stick, I can see it easily as a mounted device. I have an app on android called bubbleupnp and it can see the router when the USB stick is in, so I can play media.

What I'm asking is does having microsd plugged in permanent, it it detectable how a usb stick is?

When you plug the new MicroSD card in the router you should format it as ex2 filesystem. After that it will be seen as usb stick. I am using 32 GB card in my router without any issues. Try to search the forum how to configure the card,

When you plug the new MicroSD card in the router you should format it as ex2 filesystem. After that it will be seen as usb stick. I am using 32 GB card in my router without any issues. Try to search the forum how to configure the card,

Thanks. Does it need to be formatted from the router itself or can do it from PC? Also how do you tranfer files to and from it? I'm using Windows 7/8 and if its possible with an Android device, that will be a bonus

Thanks. Does it need to be formatted from the router itself or can do it from PC? Also how do you tranfer files to and from it? I'm using Windows 7/8 and if its possible with an Android device, that will be a bonus

It is recommended to do it from the router itself. When the card is successfully mounted it will be accessible as a samba share and visible in "USB application > Servers Center > Network Place(Samba) Share / Cloud Disk" menu. To manage the access rights you should play with this menu. If your Android device is able to see the plugged-in USB stick it will be able to see the MicroSD card also. Once the card is properly installed it is not different than usual USB stick.

Last edited:
It is recommended to do it from the router itself. When the card is successfully mounted it will be accessible as a samba share and visible in "USB application > Servers Center > Network Place(Samba) Share / Cloud Disk" menu. To manage the access rights you should play with this menu. If your Android device is able to see the plugged-in USB stick it will be able to see the MicroSD card also. Once the card is properly installed it is not different than usual USB stick.

Thanks. If Im gonna put the odd videos from camera recordings (720p and 1080p) and maybe some HD videos, is it best to get a class 10 card?

Thanks. If Im gonna put the odd videos from camera recordings (720p and 1080p) and maybe some HD videos, is it best to get a class 10 card?

Yes, Class 10 is the best. Please note that using cards with more than 32GB memory has never been confirmed yet on RT-N66U. I am using 32 GB Class 10 card. You should also consider that MicroSD cards and USB sticks have limited write cycles in their lifetime. This is not a problem with USB sticks as they could be easily replaced, but replacing of MicroSD card will need opening the router, formatting, etc. So, especially about MicroSD card, it is recommended to use them for "static" purposes, i.e. - rare write activities.

Last edited:
Yes, Class 10 is the best. Please note that using cards with more than 32GB memory has never been confirmed yet on RT-N66U. I am using 32 GB Class 10 card. You should also consider that MicroSD cards and USB sticks have limited write cycles in their lifetime. This is not a problem with USB sticks as they could be easily replaced, but replacing of MicroSD card will need opening the router, formatting, etc. So, especially about MicroSD card, it is recommended to use them for "static" purposes, i.e. - rare write activities.

Yea same here, didnt read anyone using a 64gb card. Im sure the micro SD should be fine since it takes quite the bash on mobile devices and it will be way less when in the router.

Now if I can find a way to transfer files with ftp...

Yea same here, didnt read anyone using a 64gb card. Im sure the micro SD should be fine since it takes quite the bash on mobile devices and it will be way less when in the router.

Now if I can find a way to transfer files with ftp...

No problems. Just use the FTP part of the menu in the router's FW. The card is accessible by FTP also. My advice is to play first with USB stick and familiarize yourself with transferring files, access control, etc. Than you just install the card and do it. As I already said, once installed the card is EQUIVALENT to USB stick.

@netware5 I used MiniTool Partition Wizard to create a ext2 format for a 16gb microsd card I have lying around. Does there need to be a partiton where some of it needs to be FAT or NTFS and the rest ext2 or the whole card can be ext2? The only guides I found are for Linux which I dont have access to right now

Right now the whole card is ext2, Primary partitition and cluster size 4KB

Last edited:
@netware5 I used MiniTool Partition Wizard to create a ext2 format for a 16gb microsd card I have lying around. Does there need to be a partiton where some of it needs to be FAT or NTFS and the rest ext2 or the whole card can be ext2? The only guides I found are for Linux which I dont have access to right now

Right now the whole card is ext2, Primary partitition and cluster size 4KB

I have answered to you in THIS THREAD. Please, avoid to open different threads for the same topic.

One more thing, is your card UHS? What read and write speeds are you getting?

I never checked the speeds as this is not so important for me. I have a NAS in my network for storage of large files. The card is used only to host Entware and time to time some movies. My card is SDHC.