What's new

Asus RT-N66u wireless speed problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kagome

Occasional Visitor
Ola,

I have a problem with my Asus RT-N66u (or my PC).

Situation:
Internet (100/6Mbit) <-> RT-N66U
On the Router are connected 2 PC's via LAN, 2 Netbooks and 1 PC via W-Lan.
Netbooks and 1 of the Lan PC are most time offline.

The Last LAN PC and W-LAN PC are identically: (i7-2600K, 16GB RAM, GTX 560TI, Asrock Z68 Extrem 3 Gen3, Win7 Prof. 64bit)
If I download from the Internet a file with the LAN PC i get arround 10,0 to 12,5MB/s which is nearly fullspeed.
If I download from the Internet the same file from the same server with my W-LAN PC I get arround 2,0 to 5,5MB/s. The W-Lan PC has as W-LAN Adapter an ASUS USB-N53.
If I transfer Files from my W-LAN PC to my Lan PC via Windows shared folder - I can transfere with 13-15MB/s which is nearly fullspeed. So the Wireless signal should be strong enough.

Router use only 2,4GhZ, 100mW and I also tested Bandwidth 20/40MhZ and 40MhZ only.
QoS is disabled.
My Wireless LAN is the only one in my area (living "in" a forest).
I also tried different channels and so on.
I also turned off the firewall / antivirus on my PC for a test - no better result.
I also bought a second RT-N66u for testings - but the same problem.
I'm running firmware .112.
I contacted also the german ASUS Support - but the answere was only "reset the router" (and of course I did that, too).

I'm at the end with my knowledge.

If you need some additional information please ask.

Last edited:
Hi,

Does your ASUS USB WiFi card have latest driver? and set to wireless mode to -N only? Like wise on the router is the wireless mode -N only?
On my set up download speed is same whether I use LAN or WLAN.

Also, make sure that your wireless security is set to WPA2/AES. Some security settings can limit both your wireless speed and your security *smile*.

Hello,

thanks for the first answeres.
The W-Lan USB Adapter (Asus USB-N53) has the lates drivers installed.
I tried the N-only mode, too - but no changes.

I use as Security WPA2 Personal/AES + MacFilter

Really, the crazy problem is:
W-Lan PC to Lan PC transferes with fullspeed (13-15 MB/s)
only Internet to W-Lan PC is slow

EDIT: Something I never tested was:
Lan PC -> W-Lan PC and there is the speed only arround 6MB/s while it is
W-Lan PC -> Lan PC arround 13-15MB/s

Last edited:
Hello,

EDIT: Something I never tested was:
Lan PC -> W-Lan PC and there is the speed only arround 6MB/s while it is
W-Lan PC -> Lan PC arround 13-15MB/s

The router's uplink max @ 20MHz shown in SNB testing is 75Mbps, download max is 90Mbps.

The router's uplink max @ 40MHz shown in SNB testing is 111Mbps, download max is 128Mbps.

For some reason the client seems to be switching back and fourth between 20MHz and 40MHz, try forcing 20MHz only(speeds should still be close to 10MB/s and more consistant) or try the ralink usb drivers.

Hell0,

the Client has no option to force only 20MhZ but I tried that already in the Router.

I tried the ralink drivers but there is no difference.

Have you tried;

Changing internet browsers - Chrome, Firefox, IE9
Turning off or lowering security levels
Turning off all background programs
Tried all channels and bands?
Running the tests multiple times at late night off peak? I get lots of variation in speeds in the middle of the day and early evening.
Try another router model?

Try another Laptop to see if you get the same results with the N53 or an internal N wireless card. If you move around the house what are the download speeds 3 meters from the router? How about in the other rooms?

Any electromagnetic fields near the router? How about a cordless phone base? Any Bluetooth devices? PC power supply's. Powered speakers, cell phone towers near by or any other transmitters near? Can you move the router temporarily into another room or location?

I've found all kinds of things that affect low powered transmitters especially at microwave frequencies. I've even seen cheap replacement switching power supply's for laptops that produced so much RF noise that it dramatically lowered the performance of a wireless router and cell phones 10 meters away.

Sometimes it's just the process of elimination until you can trace it down.

Or it could be you have discovered a new problem in the 66U for ASUS to work on. Time will tell.

Good luck with your search.

i forced 20MhZ on the router - no difference.

Have you tried;
Changing internet browsers - Chrome, Firefox, IE9
Yes Firefox and IE9 - no difference.

Turning off or lowering security levels
turned of Router firewall and the antivirus on the Computer - no difference.

Turning off all background programs
That should be clear that you turn of background programs while testing.
There is nothing running while testing the speed - also Taskamanger shows 0% network Traffic

Tried all channels and bands?
yes sir, channel 6 (+upper) and channel 11 are the best channels - but no real difference about the max.

Running the tests multiple times at late night off peak? I get lots of variation in speeds in the middle of the day and early evening.
its private network and I "know" all Pcs there.
Also i got on the LAN-PCs full speed to the internet at the "busy time".

Try another router model?
no - only a second RT-N66U

Try another Laptop to see if you get the same results with the N53 or an internal N wireless card. If you move around the house what are the download speeds 3 meters from the router? How about in the other rooms?
The Netbooks are a way too slow to test that correctly (slow harddisk, processor)

Any electromagnetic fields near the router? How about a cordless phone base? Any Bluetooth devices? PC power supply's. Powered speakers, cell phone towers near by or any other transmitters near? Can you move the router temporarily into another room or location?
No cordless phone base near router or W-Lan Adapter in a range of 6 meters of each object.
No bluetooth devices.
PC Power supply is on my W-Lan PC a be quiet model, but the Case of the pc is one of the newer one where the Power supply is near ground and over it is the mainboard - so there is max distance between USB Port for the W-Lan adapter and power supply.

Or it could be you have discovered a new problem in the 66U for ASUS to work on. Time will tell.
maybe :p

Good luck with your search.
thank you (also thank you for your answere)

I also tested now with a 50m Cat6 lan calbel if there are some shirt config inside my windows installation. But over cable i can use the GBit to 95-99%. but cable is no real solution at the moment.
The distance between Router and W-Lan PC is 5 meters Air (the W-Lan signal has to go one room to the right and one room upstairs).

InSSIDer display me a "-43dBm" signal (don't know if more higher number is better or a lower one) , windows display 5 bars(full) so i think the signal is strong enough.

Next I'm testing is an other USB W-Lan Adapter from an other company. (Because i have 2 USB-N53 Adapters and there is no difference if i use the one or the other).

Last edited:
When you run a test from speedtest.net, speakeasy.net or similar in your region what are you seeing (DL and UL speeds) on the distant wireless and close CAT5 PC's?

Can you borrow a friends laptop that has the ability to download at the required speed? Preferably test it at another location to see if it can reach the higher speeds.

Have you tried FW .116b yet? Erase NVRAM once installed. 116b seems to have better throughput for me.

http://forum.asus.ru/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=44107

Gary

when i run a test from speedtest.net in the near same time:

LAN-PCs: 99,99Mbps down / 6,7 MBps up

W-LAN PC: LAN-PC's: 50,6Mbps down / 6,7 MBps up

I didn't tried the .116b firmware, will do that when it is official released.

I ordered yesterday:
- TrendNet TEW-684UB 450 Mbps Dual Band Wireless N USB Adapter
- Asus EA-N66 Wireless Ethernet Adapter

lets see in the middle of the weak what happens >_>

maybe its a general problem of the USB-N53.
(what I will never understand is why I can SEND with full speed but don't recieve)

when i run a test from speedtest.net in the near same time:

LAN-PCs: 99,99Mbps down / 6,7 MBps up

W-LAN PC: LAN-PC's: 50,6Mbps down / 6,7 MBps up

I didn't tried the .116b firmware, will do that when it is official released.

I ordered yesterday:
- TrendNet TEW-684UB 450 Mbps Dual Band Wireless N USB Adapter
- Asus EA-N66 Wireless Ethernet Adapter

lets see in the middle of the weak what happens >_>

maybe its a general problem of the USB-N53.
(what I will never understand is why I can SEND with full speed but don't recieve)

How about the EA-N66? Is it really good?

if I have luck, i have the EN-66 todays evening - if not I will get it tomorro or the day after tomorrow.

The TrendNet TEW-684UB can transfere arround 15-17 MB/s in both directions.

fter a bit of experimentation, I found that the best throughput using the same client seems to be the following (only using 2.4GHz)
Control Channel 10 ( didn't have any competing wireless networks in this channel)
Channel Bandwidth : 20 MHz
Authentication Method: WPA2-PSK
WPA Encryption : AES
Professional Tab settings:
Mulitcast rate: disabled
RTS Threshold: 2347
DTIM interval : 30
Beacon : Interval 500
TX Bursting: Disabled
Wireless Mulicast forwarding : Disabled
WMM APSD : Enabled
TX Power: 80mW

I was able to obtain a near symmetric bandwidth throughput (not link speed). Any other combination seem to always suffer on the read speed from the network on lan test.

Why not install an Intel 6300 and be done with it. You would be supprised how much of your life can be wasted with a poor WiFi adapter.