What's new

Asus RT-N66u with TomatoUSB firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Did anyone get Scheduler working properly ?

I set scheduler to be rebooted every 2880 minutes which is 2 days, but it doesn't work as it should...

Hope a new build will fix this problem...

Did anyone get Scheduler working properly ?

I set scheduler to be rebooted every 2880 minutes which is 2 days, but it doesn't work as it should...

Hope a new build will fix this problem...

I think important what version of Tomato do you use.
In my case the Shibby's newest version works fine with scheduler.

Last edited:
Shibby released a new version yesterday

[RELEASE] 099
- Fix virtual wireless (MultiSSID)
- Transmission: update to 2.61
- IPP2P: update to 0.99.16
- DNScrypt-proxy: update to 1.0
- DDNS: fix HE.net Tunnel Broker messages
- Add directory /tftpboot to root tree
- Add e2label (TUNE2FS) tool to USBEXTRAS
- Added IPSec support. All needed modules you can find in extras package. Builds Mega-VPN and AIO have build-in all needed modules. Please use strongswan from entware!
- Increase countdown after reboot router
- Add ZTE MF195 3G modem support (ZTE MF192 variant x T-Mobile/EE UK)
- TOR: Grow up data dir field

Working for me.
I have one guest id for 2.4 and one in 5ghz.

All that is left is for shibby to get radios at same level and this mama is done !

It says connected on 450 Mbits....but my question remains...is it safe to up the mW?

Turning that value up isn't going to help you out much, in fact it may worsen things if you're looking to increase coverage. Search this forum for info on adjusting it, but I wouldn't go anywhere near 500 (not because I think it would damage the router, but it will do you absolutely no good) Try setting it at 60 and see what happens with your range.

Last edited:
Sorry for my naivety but I remember reading that the 64k builds were only flashable on the newest hardware revisions of the RT N66U. Since I got mine in March, and have been using 32k builds, I assume that's what I need to stick with?

(EDIT - looks like I can flash 64k as long as I clear nvram, correct)

Also, I too am having some big issues with 5ghz being usable. I'm getting about 50% signal according to WiFi Explorer where 2.4ghz is giving me around 83-85% signal. Quite a difference. Is this a known issue? Sorry, came to this thread a little late and have seen some ppl discussing it in the past few pages. Saw someone above mention that Shibby needed to get both radios on the same page. Do the Toastman builds fix this? Router is in the basement and 2.4ghz makes it to the first floor just fine.

Last edited:
Could somebody tell us what the new in new version DNScryp in new 100 firmware?
I didn't find change log for DNScrypt.
And I really don't know how and what for use IPSec if I don't use VPN...
Thank you.

P.S. Usually I update firmware as soon as it release. But other situation with 99 and 100
because each other report about any isuess and particulary new versions useless for me.
And 97 from Shibby stable like rock. Thanks to Shibby.
IMHO

Last edited:
PPTP Server setup

I am using Toasman's v1.28.0500 MIPSR2Toastman-VLAN-RT-N K26 USB VPN and I am trying to set up the PPTP Server.

I have my DHCP server ip as 172.31.1.2-.30 and my remote ip for vpn client is 10.0.1.1-.6 and have the DNS using OpenDNS. Also enable pptp/GRE passthrough and I still can not connect to it outside of the lan.

Does anyone here have it working? If so, can you post a copy of your vpn configs?

Could somebody tell us what the new in new version DNScryp in new 100 firmware?
I didn't find change log for DNScrypt.
And I really don't know how and what for use IPSec if I don't use VPN...
Thank you.

P.S. Usually I update firmware as soon as it release. But other situation with 99 and 100
because each other report about any isuess and particulary new versions useless for me.
And 97 from Shibby stable like rock. Thanks to Shibby.
IMHO
Have used firmware 100 from Shibby in my RT-N66U now over one day with no issus. Same stability as with firmware 097. Had no issues with firmware 097 either.

That don't affect, AIO and Mega-VPN builds. Use AIO to your RT-N66U

octopus

Guys, i just upgraded from tomato-K26USB-1.28.RT-N5x-MIPSR2-092-AIO.trx to tomato-K26USB-1.28.RT-N5x-MIPSR2-100-AIO.trx (practically from v92 shibby's build to v100)... and i have a really hard time restoring my configuration (which took me a lot of time to do - huge network in here).

Everytime i try to restore configuration (from Administration), i get a message like "Invalid hardware type: 00000012 | 00000014". Is there any sollution to this?

Thanks in advance!

Restoration of configs on different firmware versions is a BAD idea.

All bets are off if you are trying to restore back up configs on anything other than the version they were created on.

Its Best Practices to create new configs for new firmware.

Guys, i just upgraded from tomato-K26USB-1.28.RT-N5x-MIPSR2-092-AIO.trx to tomato-K26USB-1.28.RT-N5x-MIPSR2-100-AIO.trx (practically from v92 shibby's build to v100)... and i have a really hard time restoring my configuration (which took me a lot of time to do - huge network in here).

Everytime i try to restore configuration (from Administration), i get a message like "Invalid hardware type: 00000012 | 00000014". Is there any sollution to this?

Thanks in advance!

Just make a reset of the router, and configure the settings from scratch again. This is the best solution when upgrading to a newer firmware.

Just make a reset of the router, and configure the settings from scratch again. This is the best solution when upgrading to a newer firmware.

Hmmm, if its the way to go, I'm wondering whats the point for the backup and restore configuration file. since we have rare chance to flash the same firmware again and again, if its just for that, then the whole backup restore thing is useless to me.

Last edited:
Hmmm, if its the way to go, I'm wondering whats the point for the backup and restore configuration file. since we have rare chance to flash the same firmware again and again, if its just for that, then the whole backup restore thing is useless to me.

The best way to do it if you have a lot of settings to restore is to put your router back on 092 and restore config file.

Use this guide courtesy of Toastman, "http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/using-qos-tutorial-and-discussion.28349/page-9#post-138676" to export your most difficult settings and then add them to the update firmware.

On a side note, a lot of the times it is safe to use the backup and restore feature on minimal version upgrades. But there is almost always lingering settings left from stuff that has changed.

A big upgrade like yours probably had significant changes which can cause severe issues and possible bricks in some cases. But for full reliability it's best to clear nvram and input settings from scratch. That way if there is a problem, it's probably a bug and not some left over setting that got changed.