What's new

Asus RT-N66u with TomatoUSB firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

My personal recommendation to flash Tomato on top of the original firmware:

1) Reboot in recovery mode (keep reset pressed while turning the router on)
2) Flash Tomato using the recovery tool
3) After it's completed, turn the router off. Press WPS, turn it back on while still pressing WPS. After 4-5 secs the power LED should flash - release the WPS button.

This is pretty much the exact way described in the guide. I followed it exactly and had no problems at all. Important to note is that some cable modems need a reboot or shutdown for a couple of minutes before switching routers because they cache the MAC address and won't recognize the new router then.

[RELEASE] Version 102

Changelog: :D

- Add fully support for 3G modem ZTE MF195 (ttyACM0 device)
- Transmission: update to 2.71
- Remove limitation about 22 bits netmask
- SD card support only for RT-N66u (save space)
- Add support for Asus WL-330gE
- Add support for Huawei E3131s-2 (module and usb_modeswitch data only)
- Remove some extra themes from TOR-VPN builds (save space, image was too big for Netgear 3500L v1)
- Compile/include mdadm tool only if RAID is set (save space)
- Fix a bug in the Asus/Linksys Red Themes
- NTFS-3G update fo 2012.1.15
- fully integrade tomato-RT branch with my branch (lot of teddy`s updates from april to august 2011

Download :): http://tomato.groov.pl/download/K26RT-N/build5x-102-EN/

Changelog: :D

- Add fully support for 3G modem ZTE MF195 (ttyACM0 device)
- Transmission: update to 2.71
- Remove limitation about 22 bits netmask
- SD card support only for RT-N66u (save space)
- Add support for Asus WL-330gE
- Add support for Huawei E3131s-2 (module and usb_modeswitch data only)
- Remove some extra themes from TOR-VPN builds (save space, image was too big for Netgear 3500L v1)
- Compile/include mdadm tool only if RAID is set (save space)
- Fix a bug in the Asus/Linksys Red Themes
- NTFS-3G update fo 2012.1.15
- fully integrade tomato-RT branch with my branch (lot of teddy`s updates from april to august 2011

Download :): http://tomato.groov.pl/download/K26RT-N/build5x-102-EN/

Hmmm, AIO build is missing?

Hi ive been tomato user (TomatoMLPPP) with my wrt54 for 6 years but it recently passed away. I picked up the Asus N66U router but since day 1 i've been having frequent connection drops on toastman std, shibby aio and shibby aio 64K.

I'll do my best to describe the situation but afaik its not the modem as the connection uptime remains ongoing. It started when I played gw2 and/or sc2 after installing shibby aio, my connection would drop/choke for ~15seconds to a minute then would resume. Now this would happen 4 to 6 times in a span of 10min, making it unbearable to play. During this downtime, there are no internet access networkwide and I am unable to login to webgui.

I initially thought it was the BW Limiter in Shibby, so I turned it off but the issue still persists. Same thing happens when I did a Restore to default+30/30/30, changed to Toastman STD firmware and Shibby AIO 64K (current firmware).

I couldn’t find any solution online and I’m not sure if I just had a bad router from the start. Could this be related to packet loss issues?

Any input would help!

How would I reinstall the asus default firmware just in case I want to exchange it?

I've recently had internet connection problems too, and I thought that they were caused by ISP or modem. Maybe it isn't so..

I'm running v101 64 AIO, and I've had to log on to the router to renew the wan dhcp to get connection back up again. Now I can't even log in, browser gives network error message:rolleyes:

Edit. Oops, this log in issue was caused by Opera update. It works ok with other browsers

Last edited:
Hi ive been tomato user (TomatoMLPPP) with my wrt54 for 6 years but it recently passed away. I picked up the Asus N66U router but since day 1 i've been having frequent connection drops on toastman std, shibby aio and shibby aio 64K.

I'll do my best to describe the situation but afaik its not the modem as the connection uptime remains ongoing. It started when I played gw2 and/or sc2 after installing shibby aio, my connection would drop/choke for ~15seconds to a minute then would resume. Now this would happen 4 to 6 times in a span of 10min, making it unbearable to play. During this downtime, there are no internet access networkwide and I am unable to login to webgui.

I initially thought it was the BW Limiter in Shibby, so I turned it off but the issue still persists. Same thing happens when I did a Restore to default+30/30/30, changed to Toastman STD firmware and Shibby AIO 64K (current firmware).

I couldn’t find any solution online and I’m not sure if I just had a bad router from the start. Could this be related to packet loss issues?

Any input would help!

How would I reinstall the asus default firmware just in case I want to exchange it?

I had issue with 102 too. Internet starts dropping. Keep losing WAN IP, couldn't renew. So I just upload the stock asus firmware with NVRAM erase option enabled, reverted back to stock firmware. Please note, it take really long to time get the router back online. I even had to reflash the router several times to get it back online. It was a pain, so I'll stick to stock firmware for now.

So, is it safe to use the 102 build or not? Sorry, but i think it's best to ask first than cry later :D

So, is it safe to use the 102 build or not? Sorry, but i think it's best to ask first than cry later :D
I have used shibbys 102 for a while without any issues (Dont forget to clear nvram after flash)

Right now I'm on DD-WRT though...

I have used shibbys 102 for a while without any issues (Dont forget to clear nvram after flash)

Right now I'm on DD-WRT though...
Sorry for the off-topic, but is there any newer DD-WRT for RT-N66u? I still see the 2012-03-15 version online... which is a little too old (and buggy).

Sorry for the off-topic, but is there any newer DD-WRT for RT-N66u? I still see the 2012-03-15 version online... which is a little too old (and buggy).

Best place to ask would be at the dd-wrt forum but yes there is.

The DD-WRT situation is a bit... complicated, if not flat out messy. Basically, you have to use different versions of DD-WRT depending on whether if you upgraded your CFE or not. And flashing the wrong DD-WRT will brick your router.

So if you really want to go the DD-WRT route, make sure to read everything posted on the DD-WRT forums about it, or you will lose your router.

Hi there
I have flashed 64k cfe right now and i am a happy merlin wrt user.
But i was wondering if i can still flash tomato firmware because if you flash ddwrt 32k it will brick.
Does anybody know if tomato detects the nvram automatic ?

Hi there
I have flashed 64k cfe right now and i am a happy merlin wrt user.
But i was wondering if i can still flash tomato firmware because if you flash ddwrt 32k it will brick.
Does anybody know if tomato detects the nvram automatic ?

Tomato would be fine.

Device list refresh and transmit power

Can anyone offer advice with a couple of Tomato-Shibby settings?
At the bottom of the device list window there is a tab for setting the refresh rate. When I go into the gui this always defaults to 3 seconds and there is then a red circle next to it that is continually spinning round to suggest it is not resetting. I have tried putting this to automatic reset and other times but it keeps defaulting back to 3 seconds and then the red circle keeps spinning. Any ideas? (it does not seem to impact on signal)
Second, what is the optimum power setting under advanced - wireless? On flashing the firmware it was set at 42 mW, but with the newer Asus firmware it is set at 80 mW. Is there a recommended level of any kind in a home environment over 3 floors and with only up to 12 clients connecting?
thanks

I'm trying to mount cifs

and nothing is working is there any guides for it.

I have a samba share on an osx machine and I need to mount it on the n66u to have transmission save to it. I have attached a screenshot. when I click save it just says mounting.... and never mounts. The share works fine for other clients on network.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-11-29 at 5.53.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-11-29 at 5.53.50 PM.png
    27.8 KB · Views: 312
Version 104 released

- Revised/recompiled BCM driver K26RT-N backported from Asus GPL 3.0.0.4.220 - Support 2nd radio (5GHz) using wl_high module for router Asus RT-N53, Linksys E2500 and E3200
- VLAN mapping for Asus RT-N53
- include TomatoAnon project (disabled by default)
- revert (fully integrade tomato-RT branch with my branch (lot of teddy`s updates from april to august 2011) and add only some of commits like
* rc: fix for E4200 mac address
* BCM SDK: dirty dd-wrt fix for Belkin f7d4302 5GHz radio
* USB: LED driver: support multiple devices
* Build: fpkg: fix creating Belkin images

With the 220 driver in build 104 and CTF enabled this build seems the same as stock for wireless speed so far in testing.

Anyone else have similar results?