What's new

Asus RT-N66u with TomatoUSB firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wow tat is really fast. you think maybe there is something wrong with mine on the hardware side? I've never been able to get anything past 8MB/s even on Merlin or stock build read or write when transfering files to and from the NAS both wired and wireless. I know it's not the drive because I was getting 20+MB/s using the linksys e4200v2.

Can I ask how you are testing the speeds? I am just moving media files to and from the NAS and seeing the speed it transfers at. 2MB/s write speed is really pathetic on wireless but even more so and actually ridiculous when wired.

It could be any number of factors relating to interference and such. My 5GHz band is totally clear of other access points, which probably helps a lot. Wi-Fi is a pretty finnicky beast at the best of times. I wouldn't jump to any conclusion and say your hardware is broken, however. Make sure you're using the 5GHz band using 20/40MHz bandwidth mode, and WPA2-AES encryption for your network. That should get you going in the right direction.

I normally test by doing transfers over FTP from PC to PC, although I used iperf once or twice just to confirm the speeds I was seeing.

wireless I could partly understand and get over but a transfer speed of 2MB/s through a wired connection seems pretty crappy to me. Ugh... 2MB/s it takes forever to backup files to the NAS... ugh...

test speed

just made a test on wireless 5GHz 40MHz channel from router's ftp to my laptop situated 5 meters away in another room (with door opened). The speed I've got was 10MB/s.
I'm using Asus stock fw, as from my experience, (maybe I was not useing proper config) the Shibby was quite slow (max 5MB/s). It was really a hard decision as Shibby has a look of nice features. but like I said it could be that I have not used a proper config.

Shibby build 105 released

changelog:

- Add TC-ATM overhead calculation for DSL – thx Tvlz
- Revised QOS classification rules – thx Toastman
- new L7 filter pattern for youtube – - thx Porter
- Switchable QOS Pie Chart – thx Dinnn
- OpenSSL update to 1.0.1c and:
* enable OpenSSL assembler acceleration
* enable 2 new openssl commands: version and speed
- OpenVPN update to 2.3.0
- LZO update to 2.0.6
- Transmission: update to 2.76
- Re-enable TCP Vegas settings
- Add IMQ based QOS ingress, incoming bandwidth pie chart – thx Tiomo
- Column sorting fixes – thx Tony550
- Add previous WAN IP to status overview – thx Victek
- Correcting grammar errors – Big thanks for GhaladReam
- Fix VLAN mapping ports for RT-N10U
- Make some build smaller
- TomatoAnon: generate a random clock (minutes) for interval update
- TTB: TomatoThemeBase project integration and GUI
- Fix long boot time on Asus RT-N16
- xl2tpd: update to 1.3.1 + patches. Fix L2TP connections. Tested on Beeline-Russia by user @DollaR – thx
- Allow to redirect remote access ports (SSH & HTTP(s) ) to router if DMZ is enabled. Checkout new option in forward-dmz page.
- TOR: update to 2.3.25
- New K24 mini-USB build dedicated forrouters with 4MB flash and USB port.

http://tomato.groov.pl/download/K26RT-N/build5x-105-EN/Asus RT-N66u 64k/

Last edited:
lol I don't understand a single thing in the changelog but I see the word USB in the last change and I'm hoping that's going to fix my write speed.

I've tried 3 different drives through a wired connection to the router and the write speed is no more than 2.5MB/s at best normally under 2.

seems like the router is limiting the write speed to the drive all together no matter what type of connection.

Here's hoping the new update fixes it.

Hey guys, i just bought a RT-N66U yesterday and i am really excited about it. So excited i am going to ask one of you who has this firmware to post up (and/or make) a mirror. I really would like to get Tomato installed :)

Thanks in advance and sorry if this is one of those gomer requests from a person who just signed up ... =>

edit: seems like the site is up, but someone mentioned that the newest version isnt available (is this true?)

Last edited:
whats the difference between AIO BT-VPN MEGA-VPN TOR-VPN AND VPN?

I also see the changelog is different from the post above missing the last line about the USB.
Was that something that could have fixed my 2MB/s wired write speed?

wireless comparison and power level

Hi, can anyone point me to a detailed and controlled comparison of wireless performance between Asus/Merlin firmware and Tomato Shibby?
I love Shibby mainly for the parental control options, but I see people writing that the wirless performance is well below that of Asus and Merlin's variant.
Also, is there a recommended "transmit power" amount for Shibby?

The difference in speed between the two isnt huge, I am not even sire if there is a difference after the last updates to shibby.

The transmitting power for N660 is 82

Hi, I have the 105 AIO for n66u and everything is great.

Just 1 question about using transmission.
So when I want to use transmission to dl a torrent, I have to download the tracker onto my computer, then open transmission web gui, then open the folder then load the tracker?

Is there a way to just open the tracker straight to the gui? Like with Download Master, there is the Download Master tool that lets u just open the tracker and it loads automatically.

Just wondering. Thanks.

Is there a way to just open the tracker straight to the gui? Like with Download Master, there is the Download Master tool that lets u just open the tracker and it loads automatically.
Hi Pncu,

And why do you not clik on "Open Torrent" (file symbol) in the Transmissino GUI and enter a URL into the 2nd line of the dialog box??? ;)

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

Shibby version 106

Changes:

-Busybox: full update to 1.20.2
- Miniupnpd: update to 1.8 (20130207)
- Stealthmode scripts for RT-N16 and RT-N66u only. Usage: /usr/sbin/stealthMode on|off
- Grow up static dhcp entries from 140 to 250
- Libevent: update to 2.0.21
- robocfg update for new Ethernet ports state feature
- Ethernet State Report with GUI
- Fix OpenVPN depends in K24 builds

Note:
- Robocfg is not perfect and it`s not fully support all routers with Tomato. On some gigabits routers, 1Gbit connections can be displayed as 10M. It`s a robocfg fault. You can disable speed info from GUI.
- if ethernet ports are displayed in wrong order, you can enable „invert ports order” options.
- if some of you don`t like Ethernet ports state, you can disable this feature in GUI.

http://tomato.groov.pl/download/K26RT-N/