What's new

Asus RT-N66u with TomatoUSB firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

216 Mbps would be impressive indeed. The very most the SmallNetBuilder tests were able to squeeze out of the router was 136 Mbps, and that was only in 3-stream 40Hz Uplink mode in the best possible location. I'd be thrilled to get 120 Mpbs throughput!

With some free time I flashed Shibby's Tomato once more and this time enabled CTF and frame bursting (which I didn't before). On 5GHz, about 20ft away and separated by two walls, I can achieve a max sustained speed of 152Mbps (this is on downlink). Not nearly as good as what stock firmware gave me, but I think with some more time I might be able to get a little better performance yet.

What firmware is more stable. Merlin's or Tomato?

What are some reasons why one might want tomato firmware over stock?

What firmware is more stable. Merlin's or Tomato?

What are some reasons why one might want tomato firmware over stock?

I can't say which is more stable, as I haven't tried Merlin's, but my Tomato router has been up for like 60 days with no reboots needed.

I went with TomatoUSB primarily for the stability vs. stock and for the Access Restrictions, so I can keep my kids off of the net when I want to.

At this point, both Tomato and Asuswrt-Merlin should be pretty much the same in terms of stability. Any difference will come down to features and performance.

What is the difference in performance?

In my experience, using Shibby's latest v104 firmware, I noticed no significant changes in wired performance but wireless performance was quite lower than stock - stock firmware allows me to transfer up to 27MB/s over the 5GHz band, whereas Tomato seemed to top out at about 19-21MB/s. However these speeds were unreliable at best, with file transfers dipping under less than 10MB/s frequently. Stock firmware/Asuswrt-Merlin provides a much more solid throughput.

I also noticed issues with my Galaxy Nexus running Android 4.2.1 while using the 2.4GHz band for WiFi access - namely, a very slow throughput and common connection drops. I've yet to experience any of that on Asus stock or Asuswrt-Merlin.

I would love to use Tomato, as it has an excellent interface and I would really benefit from the very powerful QoS it offers, but stock just performs much better overall.

"while using the 2.4GHz band"

Me too. While I'll play with the Tomato variants I'm sticking with Merlin's. No connectivity issues, stalls, etc., with it and 2.4ghz channels.

It depends on your needs

I have used the stock, Merlin and Shibby firmwares. Merlin's seemed to provide the best stability and wireless throughput. However, I have stuck with Shibby. It has been resonably stable and it offers, in my opinion, the best parental controls through its "access restrictions" set-up. When it comes to parental controls, I had endless problems with the stock firmware; it looks good but, in effect, it is not reliable and not flexible enough. Merlin has not tinkered with the parental controls.
So, I so suppose it depends on your needs and set-up. I am willing to sacrifice a bit of wireless performance in order to have better parental controls. If and when the kids get more responsible or I need the signal to travel further then I would move back to Merlin.

victek is a geek

new build is coming...
I am very curious...
his tomato was da best

-----
In the meantime revised some bugs and included Network Congestion Control (Scalable & Illiniois). it will be available in new release 9013.1 ... please wait for the weekend.

Last edited:
new build is coming...
I am very curious...
his tomato was da best

-----
In the meantime revised some bugs and included Network Congestion Control (Scalable & Illiniois). it will be available in new release 9013.1 ... please wait for the weekend.
Do you know if RT-AC66U will be supported in the new build? Or only RT-N66U?

Victek's tomato

1) regarding 64k-

Well...I seen discussion among shibby and victek about. Maybe it is too early to think about victek's build...although it is on his site...

I was looking for information from people who flashed. Looks only one confirmed. I had Victek' s tomato on my linksys e3000 and it was absolutely the best,m same with rt-n16.
But for rt - n66u still not enough data for the moment. Only one confirmed:
http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/tomato-raf-1-28-9013.63093/

------------------------
I'm running that and i have 64K.
Total / Free NVRAM 64.00 KB / 39.71 KB (62.04%)
---------------------

Maybe it is still better to wait, to be on the safe side.

Last edited:
Does anyone has problems with WAN speed? I have them on E4200 and I upgraded to N66U, hopping they will go away due to superior hardware. However, the same issue appears: as soon as the download WAN speed reaches 70-80Mbps, the router starts to chocke. Current transfers work fine, but it does not accept new connection, I have DNS errors and the Web Interface loads painfully slow.

Default firmware or Merlin build work fine. The Internet connection is simple 100Mbps ethernet, no PPPoE, but I don't know if CTF was set on by default or no in Shibby.

Sent from iPad

Last edited:
ok. so I read all 46 pages of this thread.. and have a quick question.

I have a stock 66U.. and want to go to 64K 104b..
Assuming that stock is still on 32K .. do I have to do anything other than just flash the 64K-104 build and it will work.

Thanks

ok. so I read all 46 pages of this thread.. and have a quick question.

I have a stock 66U.. and want to go to 64K 104b..
Assuming that stock is still on 32K .. do I have to do anything other than just flash the 64K-104 build and it will work.

Thanks

Just flash. That's all.

Wysłane z Ramos W30HD za pomocą Tapatalk2

firmware flashing

First I apologise if asking simple questions, but after reading many forums I still cannot figure out which is the best way of flashing my new RT-n66u. (and honestly, I'm a little bit afraid to not brick the router)

Goal: Upgrade RT-n66u having 3.0.0.4.260 ASUS original firmware to Tomato firmware- tomato-K26USB-1.28.RT-N5x-MIPSR2-104-AIO-64K

Q1: is it enough to upload Tomato firmware into ASUS web interface in "Firmware Upgrade" page?
Q2: if not, which would be the best steps to do it?
Q3: Do I need first to upgrade CFE to 64K ? Current CFE version:

cat /dev/mtd0ro | grep bl_version
bl_version=1.0.1.2

Many thanks.