What's new

Asus RT-N66u with TomatoUSB firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

darksamus

I'll start a thread with this router running tomatoUSB firmware.

Here is how to load the tomato firmware.

1. Go to the link below.
2. Download the file 'tomato-K26USB-1.28.RT-N5x-MIPSR2-083V-Mega-VPN.trx' Yes its for the RTN10U but still works for the N66U.
3. Put the router into recovery mode by holding down the reset button in the back of the router and plug the power in. Continue holding the reset button until the power lights blinks slow, then release the reset button.
4. Use the Asus recovery disk and upload the tomato firmware.
5. Wait until it finish, about 5min.
6. Power down the router
7. Power up the router and you now have tomato on it.

Below is the link

http://tomato.groov.pl/index.php?dir=K26RT-N/build5x-083V/RT-N10U

I'm not getting very good ping times to gaming servers with this router. I tried Shibby's firmware and still get the same results.

FIXED: I had jumbo packets enabled on my gamerig. Turning it off made things like they should be.

Last edited:
I'm really wanting to go with Tomato. Which is more solid, Toastman or Shibby? Can someone tell a noob what the advantages of each are please?

Yeah, I just noticed that too. I think I may just go with the one that darksamus shows.

I kept the 2.4ghz/5ghz TX power default to 42mw which works fine for my needs. Depends on the needs of your range, you would need to double the power.

Well, I had a hard time getting into recovery for some reason. I was trying to upload v83...I then tried v84 and it worked fine. I must have had a bad d/l. Anyway, all is well, but it seems like my signal strength is not as good. Took it from 42mw to 80mw and does not seem to help. On the plus side, inSSIDer now is showing 450 (N) as max on both 2.4 and 5. Any tips would be appreciated.

Well, I had a hard time getting into recovery for some reason. I was trying to upload v83...I then tried v84 and it worked fine. I must have had a bad d/l. Anyway, all is well, but it seems like my signal strength is not as good. Took it from 42mw to 80mw and does not seem to help. On the plus side, inSSIDer now is showing 450 (N) as max on both 2.4 and 5. Any tips would be appreciated.

I never used v84 but v83 works fine for me. Try to download it again. 450bps is correct because you have it set to 40mhz wide.

Hi,
I flashed that f/w and only 5GHz radio showed up. Wonder I did some thing wrong? My main web browser is Fire Fox. I am back to .102 stock f/w now but I'd like to try Tomato f/w again.

Hi,
I flashed that f/w and only 5GHz radio showed up. Wonder I did some thing wrong? My main web browser is Fire Fox. I am back to .102 stock f/w now but I'd like to try Tomato f/w again.

I assume you are referring to v85. I can't flash it right now since my wife is working, but I will ASAP and post up my findings as well. All seems pretty stable for me on v84.

Running 085 right now without any issues, however I have run into the issue with only one or the two bands working on previous tomato releases. After you put the router into recovery and upload the firmware ... wait! Longer than the stated 5 minutes, for me. When you see the light for BOTH the 2.4ghz and 5ghz band light up ... then it's safe to power off and power back on your router to complete the firmware upload/recovery process.

Hi,
After upgrade to Tomato firmware do reset -
plug out DC, press and hold on WPS, plug in DC and don't release WPS button during 30s
After reboot you will see both bands again.