What's new

ASUS USING PI-HOLE

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Neil62

Looking for help, when setting up the router to use a Raspberry PI with PI-Hole, where should the Raspberry PI IP address be input. Should it go into WAN DSN 1 and or LAN DNS Server? Should it be both? Any tips anyone would have who is already PI-hole would also be great. My setup is in my signature below.

Pi-Hole users usually want to see the requesting client's IP address in the Pi-Hole logs, so the LAN DHCP server DNS field is better for that. If you put the address in WAN DNS, all requests will appear to come from the router IP. Both isn't a good idea in case your Pi-Hole has an issue, then your router is also unable to do DNS.

Was there a sale on Raspberry Pis recently? This is the second question today about Pi and DNS. ;)

WAN DNS or LAN DNS - Asus Router

Pi-Hole users usually want to see the requesting client's IP address in the Pi-Hole logs, so the LAN DHCP server DNS field is better for that. If you put the address in WAN DNS, all requests will appear to come from the router IP. Both isn't a good idea in case your Pi-Hole has an issue, then your router is also unable to do DNS.

Was there a sale on Raspberry Pis recently? This is the second question today about Pi and DNS. ;)

WAN DNS or LAN DNS - Asus Router
Thanks for the quick reply and have taken your advice. I do have another question I am allowing the router to act as the DHCP server rather than the Raspberry PI with PI-Hole. I have enabled "Conditional Forwarding" within PI-Hole, which is supposed to determine the names of devices on your local network. The problem here is that PI-Hole is using the hostname and not the router client list names. Is there some trick in the settings with the router or within PI-Hole to client names vs hostnames?

Thanks for the quick reply and have taken your advice. I do have another question I am allowing the router to act as the DHCP server rather than the Raspberry PI with PI-Hole. I have enabled "Conditional Forwarding" within PI-Hole, which is supposed to determine the names of devices on your local network. The problem here is that PI-Hole is using the hostname and not the router client list names. Is there some trick in the settings with the router or within PI-Hole to client names vs hostnames?
The router client list names are display “nicknames” only, unrelated to the DHCP names, potentially. The LAN page lets you assign specific IPs and hostnames to the DHCP clients. Not sure if this helps or not, since I don’t have a Pi-Hole.

The router client list names are display “nicknames” only, unrelated to the DHCP names, potentially. The LAN page lets you assign specific IPs and hostnames to the DHCP clients. Not sure if this helps or not, since I don’t have a Pi-Hole.
Tried the manually assigning IPs in the LAN section still the same though, only hostnames showing in PI-Hole.

You might need to wait until the devices renew their leases to see the results. Maybe.
Never thought of that, great idea, thanks again

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

This is the second question today about Pi

Amateurs!
Just finished setting up the fastest Pi-hole ever made on Intel i5 with 8GB RAM :D
Ubuntu 18.04, Unbound DNS and DHCP server. Killer!
Ubuntu 20.04 refused to boot on my HP 800 G1 Mini no matter what. :oops:

The goal is to do some destructive router experiments with no need to rewrite client list and reservations.

Amateurs!
Just finished setting up the fastest Pi-hole ever made on Intel i5 with 8GB RAM :D

The goal is to do some destructive router experiments with no need to rewrite client list and reservations.
So how should the router be set up then so the pihole uses/obtains client names and not host names?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I don’t think you can get router’s client names. I’m going to run DHCP on the Pi-hole. Set names and reservations there once. No matter what I do with the router after DHPC is unaffected. Need to fix Unbound first, has some issues. Tomorrow.

Amateurs!

As an i5 is not a Pi it can't be a Pi-Hole. Maybe just a hole. Or... Amateur, indeed...

I'm about to try something different, for me, with my Pi3B+.

Adventures with Pi, Raspberry Pi that is...

What I tried was to load Dnsmasq and Stubby on the Pi to make a caching DNS server with DoT. I could not get it to work to my satisfaction. Tried with Debian Buster and Ubuntu Fossa. What I did get to work was Pi-Hole and Stubby on the Pi. I succeeded with both Buster and Fossa. Stubby listen address I set to 127.0.0.1@5453 and I used a custom DNS upstream in Pi-Hole of 127.0.0.1#5453. Set the Asus router LAN - DHCP Server - DNS Server to the static IP assigned to the Pi. Network clients will get two DNS Server addresses: the IP of the Pi and the IP of the router. If you want to avoid this turn off DHCP in the router and use the Pi-Hole as a DHCP server. I will likely run my network like this for a couple of days to see what happens. I have the add blocking function of Pi-Hole turned off (removed the block lists) as I really do not care if adds happen or not. (It is a way for web sites to make a buck to keep in operation.) I did import a malware block list, though. As time permits I plan to continue my testing/improvement of Stubby on stock Asus.

So how should the router be set up then so the pihole uses/obtains client names and not host names?
You can't. The client names are entirely local to the Asus web interface. They have no connection to DNS whatsoever.

Network clients will get two DNS Server addresses: the IP of the Pi and the IP of the router.

I watched this closely. Clients use the Pi, if available. Switch to router IP only when the Pi is down. Makes the system fail safe.

Adventures with Pi, Raspberry Pi that is...

What I tried was to load Dnsmasq and Stubby on the Pi to make a caching DNS server with DoT. I could not get it to work to my satisfaction. Tried with Debian Buster and Ubuntu Fossa. What I did get to work was Pi-Hole and Stubby on the Pi. I succeeded with both Buster and Fossa. Stubby listen address I set to 127.0.0.1@5453 and I used a custom DNS upstream in Pi-Hole of 127.0.0.1#5453. Set the Asus router LAN - DHCP Server - DNS Server to the static IP assigned to the Pi. Network clients will get two DNS Server addresses: the IP of the Pi and the IP of the router. If you want to avoid this turn off DHCP in the router and use the Pi-Hole as a DHCP server. I will likely run my network like this for a couple of days to see what happens. I have the add blocking function of Pi-Hole turned off (removed the block lists) as I really do not care if adds happen or not. (It is a way for web sites to make a buck to keep in operation.) I did import a malware block list, though. As time permits I plan to continue my testing/improvement of Stubby on stock Asus.
My only concern is that if you are using the pi-hole as a DHCP server and have the DHCP switched off on the router, if the pihole goes down for some reason, you will loose all network/internet activity right?

It won't happen immediately, but yes.
Thanks for that. So the safer option would be to allow/use the router DHCP and use/enable the "Use Conditional Forwarding" under the DNS settings on pi-hole?

You can't. The client names are entirely local to the Asus web interface. They have no connection to DNS whatsoever.
Thanks for the reply, what a shame, would of been nice....

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!