What's new

ASUS USING PI-HOLE

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

A little update:
My Unbound Resolver is coming to life. Some users advice Pi-hole caching turned off.
/etc/dnsmasq.d/01-pihole.conf
cache-size=0
The positive effect is not instant. My mistake was home network environment. It builds Unbound cache much slower.

Mine is hanging at 53c for now. Couldn’t decide which case would be best so I have the cheap official case for now. This case got good cooling reviews in the MagPi magazine, but it’s kinda hard to find.
Great minds....I ordered the same case as it's basically one big heatsink good choice really compared to majority of acrylic type cases

A little update:
My Unbound Resolver is coming to life. Some users advice Pi-hole caching turned off.
/etc/dnsmasq.d/01-pihole.conf
cache-size=0
The positive effect is not instant. My mistake was home network environment. It builds Unbound cache much slower.
I am interested in this as will be setting up recursive dns server to not have the privacy concerns of third party dns

Still a little confused whether it's better setting it as dhcp server on the lan or as the first dns server on the wan

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Which is better using dhcp from the router or dhcp from pihole

Which is better using dhcp from the router or dhcp from pihole

from what I've read if the RPI handles the DHCP side of your network it means you can link a static IP\MAC to a particular hostname (device name e.g. naughty child\person 1 aka NCP-1) :D

Last edited:
I just need to know which is better lan dhcp or wan dns. WHY the preferred option if any?

Last edited:
Router dhcp VS pihole dhcp, less idiot proof as such, pi raspberry fails to ignite for whatever reason if its the designated dhcp server, would suggest the network would fail, so the safest option would be to use the router as a dhcp controller?

Last edited:
Apologies if I seem abrupt just looking for some advice, best optimal settings across pihole and Asus, i. e, most reliable /optimal/performance, etc

From users which are already using pihole with asus

I want to learn from advice from people alot smarter than me

I am nothing more than a complete novice

Apologies again

Last edited:
Apologies if I seem abrupt just looking for some advice, best optimal settings across pihole and Asus, i. e, most reliable /optimal/performance, etc

Apologies again

I have a rpi4 coming and i will be using pi-hole for dhcp for benefit of knowing which device requests what site etc just better to me plus it lightens the cpu and memory load on my router

best advice, use google\youtube and learn from tutorials, picking up relevant info how it applies to your use case

Last edited:

Apologies again

99% of home users will use router based DNS and DHCP because they don't know or care about other options. I like to tinker with networking and have tried many things. In these times I feel that going back to a simple network with a balanced security approach is best for my family in case something happens to me. That is a new AC86U with stock firmware, AiProtect turned on and DNS set to Quad9. Yes, I have tinkered with my Pi and Pi Hole with stubby. But the pi is going back to Ubuntu 20.04 with Zoneminder.
Also, FYI, you report using Asus Official and give a Merlin release number. 384.17 is not Asus Official.

This is exactly where my experiments are going to end when we go "back to normal". :)
Friend, I am sorry to say there is not going to be a going back to "normal." My mother, who will be 97 next month, has been remembering the time after December 7, 1941. It was her first year in college. She remembers the young men who went off to the war and never came back. She remembers how her family had to save gas to get her home for holidays. She remembers all the other going without. But she and the other survivors prospered, in time, and created a new normal. That is what we face. Finding a way to create a new normal.

I have a rpi4 coming and i will be using pi-hole for dhcp for benefit of knowing which device requests what site

You can run DHCP on the router. Pi-hole will still register the requests per device.
I finally adjust all the settings and let it run. It gets only better, more and more queries answered in 1ms.

I keep the fail-safe conf for now:
- DHCP on the router
- Pi-hole IP in DHCP
- Cleanbrowsing in WAN

My router is still running Asus stock. I can share my Unbound conf if someone is interested.
No personal inventions, all settings borrowed from other sources, GitHub etc. Works well ATM.

You can run DHCP on the router. Pi-hole will still register the requests per device.
I finally adjust all the settings and let it run. It gets only better, more and more queries answered in 1ms.

I keep the fail-safe conf for now:
- DHCP on the router
- Pi-hole IP in DHCP
- Cleanbrowsing in WAN

My router is still running Asus stock. I can share my Unbound conf if someone is interested.
No personal inventions, all settings borrowed from other sources, GitHub etc. Works well ATM.

Can I ask what is cleanbrowsing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can I ask what is cleanbrowsing?

Filtering DNS. Here - https://cleanbrowsing.org/
Asus stock firmware advertises router IP to DHCP clients. To avoid going around Pi-hole I use Cleanbrowsing in WAN. In my area it answers in 40-70ms, Pi-hole with Unbound cache in 1ms. I use it as workaround solution. In normal conditions all queries go through Pi-hole. If Pi-hole is down, queries are answered by Cleanbrowsing after some delay.

Filtering DNS. Here - https://cleanbrowsing.org/
Asus stock firmware advertises router IP to DHCP clients. To avoid going around Pi-hole I use Cleanbrowsing in WAN. In my area it answers in 40-70ms, Pi-hole with Unbound cache in 1ms. I use it as workaround solution. In normal conditions all queries go through Pi-hole. If Pi-hole is down, queries are answered by Cleanbrowsing after some delay.

Thanks for the info will check it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!