What's new

ASUS XT8 limited wired speed, 1gig Ethernet CAT7 CAT5e

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Armin6150

New Around Here
Hi all,

My first post in the forum so go easy on me please..

I have recently got a new 1gig broadband package (with YouFibre). My set up is as follow:

optical cable from outside > YouFibre ONT box (modem) > CAT 7 Ethernet > ASUS XT8 router > CAT5e

WiFi speed is fine (around 700-800Mbps). However I started checking my wired speed and found out my XT8 output seems to be limited? The CAT 7 cable going into XT8 is testing around 920Mbps but the CAT5e coming out of XT8 is testing at 800Mbps.

Is this a limitation on my XT8? Or the cables? Any advice or other way of testing?

Thanks

Hi all,

My first post in the forum so go easy on me please..

I have recently got a new 1gig broadband package (with YouFibre). My set up is as follow:

optical cable from outside > YouFibre ONT box (modem) > CAT 7 Ethernet > ASUS XT8 router > CAT5e

WiFi speed is fine (around 700-800Mbps). However I started checking my wired speed and found out my XT8 output seems to be limited? The CAT 7 cable going into XT8 is testing around 920Mbps but the CAT5e coming out of XT8 is testing at 800Mbps.

Is this a limitation on my XT8? Or the cables? Any advice or other way of testing?

Thanks
Just an update on my tests. I have done various other tests by moving cables etc and I’m confident to say that XT8 is limiting the wired speed and not the cables.
920Mbps coming into my ASUS XT8 but 780-800Mbps coming out of it wired… any thoughts?

Is there a limit on XT8 output? Is there a setting I need to look for or change in ASUS router page?

Is there a limit on XT8 output? Is there a setting I need to look for or change in ASUS router page?

I did some testing (read the whole thread) awhile back on my own XT8, and it didn't have any trouble reaching wire speed (930-ish Mbps) on individual LAN<->LAN transfers, though there are some small asymmetries and the overall bandwidth across all the ports is less than you might wish.

I am running the thing in Access Point mode, though, in which there shouldn't need to be any CPU involvement in shoving packets from port A to port B. If you are running in router mode and have any features enabled that would require CPU inspection of packets (traffic monitoring for instance), perhaps that'd explain your different results.

Also, not to belabor the obvious, but are you sure that the device on the other end of the cable can sustain > 800Mbps?

I did some testing (read the whole thread) awhile back on my own XT8, and it didn't have any trouble reaching wire speed (930-ish Mbps) on individual LAN<->LAN transfers, though there are some small asymmetries and the overall bandwidth across all the ports is less than you might wish.

I am running the thing in Access Point mode, though, in which there shouldn't need to be any CPU involvement in shoving packets from port A to port B. If you are running in router mode and have any features enabled that would require CPU inspection of packets (traffic monitoring for instance), perhaps that'd explain your different results.

Also, not to belabor the obvious, but are you sure that the device on the other end of the cable can sustain > 800Mbps?
Thanks for your reply. I tried the AP mode and no difference.
the device is capable as it hits 920Mbps consistent when I bypass my router. my WiFi is actually sometime faster than my Ethernet now.. it feels like some throttling going on when I use Ethernet but not sure how to fix it

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!