What's new

Asus XT8 mesh set up settings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

soundexpressions

New Around Here
I have Fios gig speed. Running with ASUS XT8 4ea. Curious if 562 down /165 up is normal or is there a setting I need to tweak. Any help would be appreciated. Never wired setting. Only off iPhone and MB PRO

Hmm, well, that's not completely out of line --- my experience with Apple gear is that it will get a reasonable fraction of the theoretical wireless download speed, but upload is much slower. I've seen that with a few different wireless APs so I think it's Apple's fault not the APs'; they must be configuring their wireless cards with emphasis on battery life not transmit speed.

Having said that, I think you could likely do better than 562 down with a well-optimized setup. To start with, 4x XT8s is a whole lotta wifi, maybe too much; they could be interfering with each other. What sort of space are they spread across? If you turn off all but the main unit, and do your speed tests from say 10 ft from that unit, do the numbers improve? The rule of thumb is to use as few APs as you possibly can.

Wireless backhaul is also a performance gotcha in a lot of cases, which is another reason why I want to know what results you get when connected directly to the main node with no backhaul to be done.

Some setting recommendations:
1. Disable smart connect, use separate SSID's.
2. Choose channels and channel widths, don't default to "auto". You can figure out which channels to choose inititally by using an app like "Wi-Fi Analyzer" and see what your network neighborhood looks like.
3. 20MHz. channel width on 2.4GHz. band.
4. Enabling 160MHz. channel width on 5GHz-2 radio, and picking control channel 149 will give you 160MHz. backhaul channel width without using any DFS channels.

Don't know how much of this you're already doing, obviously *smile*, but these settings work well for me. There may be more, but I can't think of it at the moment. Just a note, I'm on the 500/500 speed tier (provisioned at about 620/620) with AT&T fiber, and get about 600Mbps at the remote node using wireless backhaul and wifi-6. Upload at the remote node is about 450Mbps. Speed tests are with a M1-based iPad Pro. Speed test results with an iPhone 14 are similar. Don't take that to mean that you'll get close to 1Gbps on wifi-6 using gigabit internet. You might be able to get up to about 650 - 700Mbps at the remote node, though.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!