What's new

ASUS ZenWiFi AX (XT8) Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.21617 (2022/11/21)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Do you really have two signal pathways between the modem and the AP? That's a seriously bad idea. Maybe you somehow got away with it before, but I'm surprised that it hasn't been giving problems from the start.
Potentially not related to this thread, unless ofcourse you are correct @tgl . But here is why my setup is the way it is. See this thread from February where I tried to get my network working and since finding this arrangement I've not had a problem:
Do you see another solution which won't causes the problems I had previously? I would say I'm hesitant to even touch the setup given the pain I went through to get it working. Note other people that have had a similar issue on that thread.

See this thread from February where I tried to get my network working and since finding this arrangement I've not had a problem:

... except that now you do. Anyway it seems off-topic for this thread; maybe we should take it up over there.

... except that now you do. Anyway it seems off-topic for this thread; maybe we should take it up over there.
I'm starting to think my issue was simply a coincidence now. As usual services appears to have been restored.

I updated to this firmware 2 days ago and now cannot add devices to it. I am seeing this in the logs. MAC address changed obviously

Nov 24 14:27:29 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(511): wl0.2: Disassoc xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8), rssi:0
Nov 24 14:27:29 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(511): wl0.2: Disassoc xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8), rssi:0
Nov 24 14:27:32 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(530): wl0.2: Auth xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Nov 24 14:27:32 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(559): wl0.2: Assoc xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, status: Successful (0), rssi:-37
Nov 24 14:27:32 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(511): wl0.2: Disassoc xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8), rssi:0
Nov 24 14:27:32 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(511): wl0.2: Disassoc xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8), rssi:0

Mine also looks like this:
My icon look like yours, but changed to the real one after clic on it:

1669361564361.png

Updated with no problems at all, although I only have one XT8 with about 30 devices, no mesh.

Strange, I can't change the icon, not even after a factory reset from the Webgui.
Have you perhaps done a factory reset using the WPS method?

Tried to clear the cache browser or another browser? I never did a reset and the icons are ok on my two different xt8 installations

I tried this new firmware, dirty upgrade from 21099, confirmed all nodes are v1 hardware. Mesh setup with two nodes, wireless backhaul, primary node and modem downstairs and secondary node upstairs. Immediately after upgrading, a device wired into the secondary node experienced sustained packet loss between 60 and 100 percent (tested by simply trying to ping the primary node from the device). I've had packet loss problems with previous firmwares on different devices in the past, but never this bad. Rolled back and all packet loss is gone. Beware.

Strange, I can't change the icon, not even after a factory reset from the Webgui.
Have you perhaps done a factory reset using the WPS method?

I have been using Asus routers for 8 years, and I have never ever done a factory reset prior or after updating firmware. I know it is an usual practice here (I do not understand why), but I have never needed it, because I do not want to enter all settings again (dhcp reservations, ports, etc.). Once I did one, just to "try" that wps method, not in an upgrade process.

My XT8 three-node system started having problems as described below just after it auto-updated to 3.0.0.4.388.21617. Devices (especially cell phones, but both iPhone and Android) getting strong signals but very, very, slow average bit rates (below 1 Mb/sec while the wired devices were getting 250 MB/sec or better). Oddly, not all WIFI-connected devices were affected. Accordingly, I have downgraded to 21099 and turned off auto updating. I downgraded without having first done a factory reset, I just used the "manual upgrade" buttons to do each of my nodes (starting with the one most distant from the wired unit). So far so good.
My impression of the problem: maybe these devices are connected, then after a short period of high bitrate become disconnected, then connected again with a brief high bitrate, and then disconnected, then connected again... Each cycle taking a fraction of a second.
Update: manually loading 21099 (and then turning off auto updates) has fixed the problem. No issues for the past 2 days.

I had the same issue with my XT routers, Wi-Fi dropping connections every 4-5 days after I upgraded to Version 3.0.0.4.388.21099. It was frustrating and Asus support wanted me to send in the router. I tried modifying a couple of settings, but it kept doing this every 4-5 days. I also noticed speeds had dropped from 650Mbps to 350-400Mbps.

I finally downgraded the firmware back to Version 3.0.0.4.386.49873 and it has been stable after that. The speeds have also gone back to 650Mbps.

I will try the newer firmware, but I am really skeptical with all the other comments on this thread.

NCRR

I had the same issue with my XT routers, Wi-Fi dropping connections every 4-5 days after I upgraded to Version 3.0.0.4.388.21099. It was frustrating and Asus support wanted me to send in the router. I tried modifying a couple of settings, but it kept doing this every 4-5 days. I also noticed speeds had dropped from 650Mbps to 350-400Mbps.

I finally downgraded the firmware back to Version 3.0.0.4.386.49873 and it has been stable after that. The speeds have also gone back to 650Mbps.

I will try the newer firmware, but I am really skeptical with all the other comments on this thread.

NCRR

I've used a similar pattern of firmware versions. Upgraded to 21099 when it was released, and it was fine for a week, full speed and no disconnects or other problems, then spontaneously rebooted. So back to 49873, which was fine again until this new firmware came out. Now I've been using this firmware version for almost a week and it's been good, too. We'll see how it goes in the long term, but so far, so good.

I find that I have better results switching between the "386" and "388" firmware families when I do a full factory reset after going either way.

I'm starting to wonder about the hardware versions and if there's something wrong with HW Ver 1.0 (can be found on the bottom of the device). Personally I have Ver 1.0 . If Asus offers to replace the device it might be worth the hassle. dunno....

I'm here because I updated to 3.0.0.4.388.21099 after seeing it was available as an update. I didn't think anything of it, as I have had my pair of XT8s running so smoothly since earlier this year.

This firmware does nothing to address all of the issues of the connection just coming to a complete halt - wireless devices just slow down immensely, not allowing them to do anything for 15-20 minutes or a reboot. Wired seems to be ok as I have heard screams from upstairs during Xbox matches or episodes of while I'm comfortably watching football in the basement. This has been a total disaster for the last couple of months, and I think my family is about to take me and the XT8s out back for a 'conversation'.

I appreciate the links about resetting, as I had seen many folks here talking about how they factory reset and downgrade and that sound like a huge pain to redo everything, but I think that's where I'm at. The fact that Asus even put this firmware out in production is mind-boggling after the number of issues I and others have been experiencing.

I have problems with 5GHz backhaul constantly disconnecting, causing issues for all devices connected to the child node, but special a problem when having teams or working remote and being disconnected all the time. I tried upgrading to this new fw 3.0.0.4.388.21617 but same problem. So I have downgraded again to last stable fw which is 3.0.0.4.386.48706 from May 2022. Sadly all upgrades after that is very unstable regards to the backhaul connectivity.

Same as above. 5Ghz wireless backhaul will be ok after a reboot, then drop after a certain amount of time. Could be a few hours, or a few days. Pretty much the same on any firmware after 48706.

Had been solid for 4 weeks on 48706 from start of November. Took the plunge and installed 21617 yesterday, followed by hard reset. 5Ghz backhaul lasted around a day. Back to 2.4Ghz.

So I guess I’m going back to 48706 again. I’m cursed with always wanting the latest version, but with this I’m going to adopt the ‘if it ain’t broke’ approach. Shame.

Note: I’m on v1 hardware.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!