What's new

ASUS ZenWiFi AX (XT8) Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.21617 (2022/11/21)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

guys i successfully updated the main router to 48706, but problem is i cant downgrade my node. it always says Unable to connect to the Parent AP.

sorry already working, force the router to connect HTTP only and it works

Last edited:
I should mention that I am on a wired back haul and having major stability issues. Not sure if a reset will help, if rather just downgrade if I have to redo all settings by hand anyway.

Instituted a daily reboot and that seems to be helping in the meantime.

A daily reboot is simply masking the issues your network has. A full reset will allow you to track down the actual cause if done properly and methodically.

Downgrading isn't an option if you want the security the latest firmware offers.

I realize it's not solving the issue but this has been the same problem since Asus released a 'stable' version. My knowledge of how to troubleshoot the issue is non-existent, I just want the thing to work and have proper firmware which will contain security updates but not take down my network.

Until you take the time to perform a full reset to factory defaults (often, multiple methods may need to be used to fully reset the router), do a minimal and manual configuration to secure the router and connect to your ISP, and meticulously keep notes of the changes you make from this point forward (and of course, you'll test this 'point' in time too, for as long as you need to feel comfortable that the basic setup is stable), and then share and ask any questions of your progress/expectations and get relevant answers here on the forum, you may never get an answer/firmware that you need.

For many success stories here on the forums, a full reset to factory defaults has been the first step (if not the only step) to solve the issues they had too.

Will it take some time to do this? Of course (and it will vary by the individual too). A stable and reliable network that is fully up to date for security and features is the reward though (and the process goes a long way towards ruling out hardware issues too).

While the process is intensive for some, considering the 'net is constantly changing, our networks should too - and that is why starting from a full reset and followed by a minimal and manual install is the first step to aligning our networks with today's standards (and sometimes, needing to update our learning of that too).

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

Fully Reset / Best Practice Setup / More

Almost all L&LD Links

About L&LD

My experience with this firmware has been very good, especially compared to the last version which had the red flashing node issue and overall drop outs. Despite a dirty upgrade, I’ve not had any issues however a few months back I did manage to run Ethernet cabling around house around the joists to ensure I had a proper backhaul connection.

In Europe, many of us have quite thick walls in places which is a nightmare for good signal. Throw in a 160mhz channel and you are setting yourself up for failure.

Just thought I'd share my anecdotal experience on this firmware in case it helps anyone (full disclosure: I'm a networking idiot who barely understands any of this stuff). I picked up the XT8s a few weeks back and immediately upgraded to 21617 when I set them up with wireless backhaul (probably stupid on my part - I hadn't gone through this forum in enough detail to realize how hit/miss their firmware updates were). Also did not do any sort of factory reset (didn't know it was best practice at the time). Router is connected to my ISP gateway using PPPoE passthrough and Advanced DMZ.

Performance was spotty over the first week and a half, although nothing as bad as what I've read about from others. I'd get 5-10 disconnections per day (typically very short; around 10-20s in length). Sometimes I'd notice the satellite node flashing blue (which I think means it had to reconnect to the main router), but other times the light was still white during the disconnections. Thanks to everyone on snbforums, I fiddled with a bunch of settings for a couple of days (turned off universal beamforming, fixed channels (1, 36, and 149 on 2.4GHz, 5Ghz-1, and 5GHz-2, respectively), set the backhaul priority to 5GHz-2, set the 2.4GHz band width to 20MHz, and disabled roaming assistant on the 5GHz-2 band) and set my system to reboot once a week. I use CloudFlare as my DNS and turned on AiProtection and Traffic Monitor, but all other settings are their default values. I'm in Canada, and I don't think we have 160MHz available to us.

Since my last settings adjustments and the subsequent reboot (~6 days ago), I haven't noticed any more disconnections. The last settings I changed were fixing the channels, 20MHz band width, and disabling roam assist on the 5Ghz-2 band. Again, just my two cents, being a complete novice at all this.

Only other thing I'll note is my upload speeds seem quite slow, at least on my laptop (it's a 2019 model with an AC wireless adapter, so maybe that's why?) My package is 1Gbps/750Mbps down/up over fibre. I'm getting ~900Mbps/520Mbps at the router. In practice, my laptop gets around 275-325Mbps/55Mbps over Wifi (about 25 feet from the satellite node, with a closet (so one wall and a door?) in between.

Only other thing I'll note is my upload speeds seem quite slow, at least on my laptop (it's a 2019 model with an AC wireless adapter, so maybe that's why?) My package is 1Gbps/750Mbps down/up over fibre. I'm getting ~900Mbps/520Mbps at the router. In practice, my laptop gets around 275-325Mbps/55Mbps over Wifi (about 25 feet from the satellite node, with a closet (so one wall and a door?) in between.

It'd be worth doing a speed test with the laptop closer to the main router (~10 ft with no obstructions is usually about the ideal distance). If that improves matters then the wall is a problem, or maybe you're connected to a remote node and the backhaul isn't ideal. Otherwise, this may just be the best you can get from that client hardware.

I lost ethernet ports with this update. Router is fine with wired connections but node works only with wireless connections. Backbone is ethernet.

I use this firmware with a pc connected to an ethernet port of a node... All ok!
Try with a full reset...

It'd be worth doing a speed test with the laptop closer to the main router (~10 ft with no obstructions is usually about the ideal distance). If that improves matters then the wall is a problem, or maybe you're connected to a remote node and the backhaul isn't ideal. Otherwise, this may just be the best you can get from that client hardware.
Thanks! Tested this; upload speeds seemed to stay around the same, so it probably is just my laptop (my S10 Lite has on problem getting 300+Mbps).

Another vote for downgrading to 3.0.0.4.386.48706 if you want a stable wireless backhaul. I have tried the latest 388 and 9.x beta releases and they are all utter garbage. How they can possibly release several firmwares with an utterly unstable backhaul proves they do zero testing or actually use their own products. I was literally about to go spend another $350-500 to replace my pair of XT8 routers until I saw this thread and downgraded and got my original stability and fast speeds back, so thanks for sharing your experiences! Imagine if ASUS had good developers and actually tested their products and firmware upgrades…

My set up is simple on this ver. 3.0.0.4.388.21617, just two XT8's, mostly all default mesh setup with wireless backhaul. running one Time Machine backup on a USB drive attached to the main XT8 and another back up to an Apple Time Capsule on bridge mode, ethernet wired to the node. so far, is the most stable firmware since I purchased the XT8's a few months ago.

Last edited:
what boggles the mind is that the XT8 features in alot of the best wifi mesh router lists.. personally in good conscience I would never be able to recommend them. I guess it just goes to show that all reviews should be taken with a VERY BIG grain of salt.

I do my best to ignore the 'best of' lists. For the same reasons you're seeing yourself today.

I don't believe there is any list that has objectively rated the products their pushing. All done in the name of clicks and site traffic.

That is why I only recommend a certain selection of Asus products, they are the only ones I can personally endorse as being adequate for the job. Because I have used them extensively (before I even mention them here).

I was going to get the XT8 but just out of curiosity I pasted the firmware number into Google and this forum and thread came up. Now I don't think I will.

Normally I wouldn't mind but with how expensive this kit is it kind of needs to be perfect regardless of what firmware is installed.

I was going to get the XT8 but just out of curiosity I pasted the firmware number into Google and this forum and thread came up. Now I don't think I will.

Normally I wouldn't mind but with how expensive this kit is it kind of needs to be perfect regardless of what firmware is installed.
Why not try them for yourself and see? I bought my set around August of 2021 and they have been awesome. I have around 28 devices connected. from TV's, laptops, fridge, garage door, security cameras, Ring system and now I'm running 2 Time Machine backups. one on a USB drive connected to the main router and one with an Apple Time Capsule on bridge mode, ethernet wired to the node. The Time Machine backups used to have to be restarted every once in a while. but with this last firmware, they've been running smooth. Most of my settings are on default, except I use the 2nd guest network for two 2G devices, like the garage door and Schlage smart lock.
Using wireless backhaul and the only thing wired to one of the routers is the Time Capsule. everything else is wireless. My cable speed is 500 and usually get 500 to 540Mbps. and all of my TV and music services are streamed.

It's definitely a case of YMMV. For me, 49873 works well in two nodes running in "media bridge" mode --- but then I updated the parent AP (running in "access point" mode) to 49873, and suddenly one node was not passing data reliably. I had to put the parent back to 42095, which is pretty much the only release that's been fully stable for me in the year I've had these XT8s. I left the remote nodes on 49873, though, without problems so far. I'm not sure I'm going to bother with 21617.
Interesting because 42095 is literally the only firmware that has worked right for me since the beginning. I have hesitated to upgrade my firmware as every time I try, things just got worse and I keep reverting back to 42095. Asus needs to get their act together, it shouldn't be this difficult. I'm considering other router options but not sure which ones would be better.

I should mention that I am on a wired back haul and having major stability issues. Not sure if a reset will help, if rather just downgrade if I have to redo all settings by hand anyway.

Instituted a daily reboot and that seems to be helping in the meantime.
I have found that 42095 is the only firmware that reliably maintained a wired backhaul connection. All the other firmwares I've tried would result in disconnections between nodes from time to time. So frustrating.

I notice there is a new firmware out not on site yet but I was notified of it via app.

All installed and so far so good.

3.0.0.4.388.22068​

I have had lots of various problems though the last few firmwares so lets see over a week long period.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!