What's new

ASUS ZenWiFi AX (XT8) Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.21617 (2022/11/21)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I've no problem with 5ghz backhaul in two different xt8 installations (the first with 2 xt8, the second with 4 xt8)
I use the 80mhz bandwidth (not 160)

I've no problem with 5ghz backhaul in two different xt8 installations (the first with 2 xt8, the second with 4 xt8)
I tried disabling 160Mhz and use 80mhz only works. my wifi bugging me for weeks now after firmware update. this helps a lot.

Got mine set to 80Mhz also.
EDIT: I should have said I have fronthaul (5Ghz-1) set to 80Mhz - backhaul I still have on all its defaults.

Last edited:
Interesting...Traffic Statistics didn't work right for the last 24 hours. Traffic monitor shows the full 24-hour traffic (about 13GB), but the Traffic Statistics only shows about 3.5GB total. My kneejerk reaction is "oh well, back to 49873", but I guess I'll wait to see if this is a singularity. I do rely on the Traffic Statistics to monitor what my devices are doing, so it's important to me that works correctly. No other problems that I'm aware of, though.

I did do a full factory reset after flashing this firmware version, coming from 386.49873, so in lieu of doing another one for troubleshooting, I may be going backwards in time soon *smile*. I could try the reset from the web admin interface with the checkmark for "re-initialize everything", but that one's more of a pain than just going back to the previous working version...

I have problems with 5GHz backhaul constantly disconnecting, causing issues for all devices connected to the child node, but special a problem when having teams or working remote and being disconnected all the time. I tried upgrading to this new fw 3.0.0.4.388.21617 but same problem. So I have downgraded again to last stable fw which is 3.0.0.4.386.48706 from May 2022. Sadly all upgrades after that is very unstable regards to the backhaul connectivity.
I have the same problem...

I would love to know what the "Fixed 2.5G port compatibility issues" means.

Earlier this year I noticed slight packet dropout when connecting the 2.5gbps WAN port with my fiber modem's 5gbps port, and ultimately I went back to connecting the XT8 to a 1gbps port and the packet loss stopped. The firmware update makes me wonder if the 5gbps port might be worth trying again, but it's a bit vague. Anyone have more insight or experience with this?

My traffic analyzer seems to be broken since reverting back firmware. Anyone else noticed this?

My traffic analyzer seems to be broken since reverting back firmware. Anyone else noticed this?

Assuming that what you're saying is that Traffic Statistics broke after flashing this firmware, I also experienced this, posted above.

Now on 49873 again.

Last edited:
Im still on latest 3.0.0.4.388_21617

yeah im still getting intermittent 5ghz-2 backhaul problem. seems like i need to donwgrade.. hows 49873?

It has been perfect so far. Using it now, have had it up for periods up to a couple of weeks, in between trying the "388" releases. Just works for me. And not that old *smile*. Backhaul is fine, using the 160MHz. backhaul channel width. Nice.

It's definitely a case of YMMV. For me, 49873 works well in two nodes running in "media bridge" mode --- but then I updated the parent AP (running in "access point" mode) to 49873, and suddenly one node was not passing data reliably. I had to put the parent back to 42095, which is pretty much the only release that's been fully stable for me in the year I've had these XT8s. I left the remote nodes on 49873, though, without problems so far. I'm not sure I'm going to bother with 21617.

It's definitely a case of YMMV. For me, 49873 works well in two nodes running in "media bridge" mode --- but then I updated the parent AP (running in "access point" mode) to 49873, and suddenly one node was not passing data reliably. I had to put the parent back to 42095, which is pretty much the only release that's been fully stable for me in the year I've had these XT8s. I left the remote nodes on 49873, though, without problems so far. I'm not sure I'm going to bother with 21617.

I'm using 49873 in router mode, with 2 nodes, a router node and a "remote" node with wireless backhaul. Simple configuration, works well for me. Not using either node in AP or media bridge mode, both nodes are in router mode.

For some reason, my node is using 2.4 GHz backhaul and shows a weak signal. I changed 5GHz 1 and 2 to 80mhz, but still the same issue. Any ideas? RSSI = -4 dBm

Someone posted about the issue on the Asus forum also. https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discuss...-backhaul-connectivity-problems-after-upgrade
I have tried a couple of firmware lately and are not able to get backhaul working. Asus told me to downgrade to 3.0.0.4.386.48706. This firmware is the newest that give a stable 5Ghz Backhaul.

Im still on latest 3.0.0.4.388_21617

yeah im still getting intermittent 5ghz-2 backhaul problem. seems like i need to donwgrade.. hows 49873?
I have tried a couple of firmware lately and are not able to get backhaul working. Asus told me to downgrade to 3.0.0.4.386.48706. This firmware is the newest that give a stable 5Ghz Backhaul.

My 5GHz backhaul is still working after I did another factory reset a few days ago. Not sure how, but I'm not going to touch anything for now. I hope I don't have a power outage lol.

Agreed 48706 seems best. I haven't had any dropouts since reverting to it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!