What's new

Release ASUS ZenWiFi AX (XT8) Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.23012

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi, I bought at the end of March this router everything were working fine until I upgrade to this firmware, now I have the same issue, I have installed the previous version available, but I still have the issue.
I'm thinking to install another old version, until I found one wihtout this kind of issue.
Regards
Have you tried a full reset after the upgrade?
I second this question. I did run into the 2.4ghz issue when I had flashed the first 388 build that gnuton had, then when I came back to stock I had all sorts of issues, so I did a couple of full resets and wipes etc, then was back to stable connection and had no issues except for the memory leak causing random reboots (some times twice a week) which has now been resolved, as I am now at 9 days and 19hours with 82% memory usage.

Hi, I bought at the end of March this router everything were working fine until I upgrade to this firmware, now I have the same issue, I have installed the previous version available, but I still have the issue.
I'm thinking to install another old version, until I found one wihtout this kind of issue.
Regards

Welcome to the XT8 issues I noticed for the months I had it. It worked fine until you updated, then reverting or flashing any firmware didn't fix the dropping to 2.4GHz issue. I decided to try the XT9 since the wall mount I had still worked with it and that router has been solid, never had that dropping to 2.4GHz issue, no matter what firmware I flashed on it. I keep saying that there's a reason Asus released a v2 of the XT8 and the XT9, so to me the XT8 has a hardware fault that will never be fixed(v1 at least) based on the months and multiple exchanges I did on Amazon trying to get a good working XT8

Just reporting an update :) over 12 Days without a reboot, and ram usage dropped down to 74-75% no random reboots and wifi has been solid. Here ae my backhaul settings if anyone is interested. Note: This is in the US

1682516515132.png

Last edited:
This is my setting, unfortunaly sometimes my connection goes on orange mode 2.4ghz low band.
I cannot switch to channel bandwidth 160 MHz only and Cotrol Channel 177.

I always have DFS channels, cannot leave them.
I'am in region europe so properly it is not allowed to switch off or have control channel 177 :-(

Attachments

• 2023-04-26_15-48-41.jpg
    2023-04-26_15-48-41.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 97
This is my setting, unfortunaly sometimes my connection goes on orange mode 2.4ghz low band.

I'am in region europe so properly it is not allowed to switch off or have control channel 177 :-(
Sorry to hear that :( Back before they got approval for 169-177 in the US I dropped down to 80MHz and set a regular channel cause the weather Radars where I live are always being used.

Last edited:
Unfortunaely it is not possible, always the Radars are on.
Is it not possible somewhere in the software that you can say I am in region US so that you have different MHz open.
In the passed, my old router Linksys was it possible to say use region .... and you had different channels.

In this case I think it's better to toggle off DFS (might mean you can only use 80MHz bandwidth). It's still preferable to having the backhaul drop to 2.4GHz.

Hopefully Europe approves of UNII-4 sooner or later, as that is what unlocked the upper non DFS Bands for backhaul usage. I know this first came out with the XT12 Pro then was brought to the XT8 and XT9.
As far as changing regions, I did read somewhere that there is a or was possible, but I don't remember where it was was that could potentially get you in trouble if those bands are currently being used by an organization or the government in your area/region.

I can't login to Download Master using this firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.23012, it always promote invalid username or password when try to login.
, but using 3.0.0.4.388.22525 can login without issue.

Anyone facing same issue?

Have you tried uninstall and reinstall?

Hopefully Europe approves of UNII-4 sooner or later, as that is what unlocked the upper non DFS Bands for backhaul usage. I know this first came out with the XT12 Pro then was brought to the XT8 and XT9.
Its approved as per this, but the maximum allowed power transmission level is so low it won't be used by consumer routers.
Better solution is to just order US version from Amazon/ebay and be happy...

One of the bug fixes listed is:
"Fixed memory leak issue."

Anyone know any specifics about that?

I'm currently running firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.22525 and have noticed that memory use grows by about 1 Mbyte per day. I was planning on snapshotting ps stats every day (via ssh) to try to figure out which processes are leaking. Maybe this version fixes the problem.

Looks like version 3.0.0.4.388.23012 does in fact fix the memory leak issues I had noticed in previous versions. I've been running it for several days now on a 3-node mesh system. Memory use has increased by less than a megabyte.

Previously, my main router node would consume about 1-2 Mbytes of free memory per day. I think the memory leak was in the DHCP server, which is implemented by the program `/usr/sbin/dnsmasq`. I never conclusively proved that was the source of the problem, but a lot of circumstantial evidence pointed in that direction.

Normally, losing a couple of megabytes a day is not a serious problem, especially if you auto-reboot at least once a week. But on one occasion, I had a faulty router on a subnet which was hammering my main router with 10-20 DHCP requests *per second*. This aggravated the memory leak problem and my main router would lock up every 25 hours like clockwork after exhausting all its free memory. Unfortunately, there were never any error messages in the syslog, it would just lock up and stop routing packets. So it took some snooping around with Wireshark to figure out what was going on. The faulty subnet router, BTW, was not an Asus; it was an old Apple AirPort that should have been e-cycled years ago.

To get more accurate memory data, I ssh into the node and run the `free` program. I usually go by the number for "used -/+ buffers/cache". You can also get the VSZ stats for individual processes using the `ps` command. And you can get more specific per-process stats from appropriate parts of the /proc hierarchy. Just be careful not to brick your router while using the command line to poke around. 🤓

Its approved as per this, but the maximum allowed power transmission level is so low it won't be used by consumer routers.
Better solution is to just order US version from Amazon/ebay and be happy...
Will UNII-4 work in the UK if you purchase an US XT8?

Of course, if the UK authorities happen to notice you broadcasting at illegally high power, you might become less happy. I grant that's unlikely, at least as long as you're not too close to any neighbors who might complain about interference.

Just reporting my up-time every so often, I'll probably make this my last up-time report :). Thank you Asus for the update and for fixing the memory leak, I now have up-time of 2 weeks/14days and 9 hours. Memory still hovering in the mid 70's.
And it looks like the next gnuton Merlin build/fork will be based on this branch so I may run full-steam ahead till that build comes out :)

Hi upgraded to this latest version with a Asus GT-AX11000 with two ZenWiFi (XT8) nodes with wireless backhaul. Both nodes started dropping after a day. Had to reboot the system to have them reconnect. Happened several times so down graded to FW_ZENWIFI_XT8_300438822525 and everything is stable again. I had also upgraded to GT-AX11000_388.2_0_ubi at the same time. Did not downgrade the GT-AX11000 to the previous version. Anyone else have this problem? May be unique to my setup.

Hate how results are different for so many people. I've had good luck with this build (knock on wood) on a XT8 router, and XT8 node, and an AC68U node running Merlin 3.0.0.4.386.10_0. Uptime is 16 days 8 hours. With the previous version the XT8 node dropped out to flashing blue 14 days in, but ultimately i think it was the XT8 Router that stopped working, as wifi started behaving weirdly. Restarting the Router and not the node would always bring the network back.

Although my google home started desyncing from my kasa devices (smart switches mainly) which seemed like a symptom of something flaky... Or kasa just being kasa.

ASUS ZenWiFi AX XT8 V2 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.23012

New features:
-Built-in Surfshark in VPN Fusion allows you to surf the internet anonymously and securely from anywhere by encrypting connections. Please refer to https://asus.click/SurfsharkVPN

-iPhone/Android USB auto backup WAN allows you to connect your phone to the router’s USB port and use it as an internet source. Please refer to https://asus.click/AutobackupWAN

-DDNS transfer allows you to transfer your ASUS DDNS hostname from your original router to the new one. Please refer to https://asus.click/ASUSDDNS

Bug fixes and functionality modifications:
-Resolved the issue with login and password changes.
-Resolved the IPSec VPN connection issues.
-Resolved the Instant Guard connection issues.
-Fixed the AiCloud login issue after unplugging and plugging the HDD into the USB port.
-Fixed the issue where Traffic Analyzer sometimes couldn’t record data.
-Fixed the time display issue for the preferred upgrade time in the Auto Firmware Upgrade function.
-Fine-tuned the description for port status.
-Enabled DynDNS and No-IP DDNS to use IPv6.
-Fixed AiMesh preferred AP identification in site survey results.
-Updated timezone list for Greenland, Mexico, and Iran.
-Modified the USB application option text in dual WAN.
-Allowed WireGuard Server clients to access the Samba server.
-Fixed memory leak issue.
-Enabled the failback function when using the iOS/Android USB backup WAN.

Security updates:
-Enabled and supported ECDSA certificates for Let’s Encrypt.
-Enhanced protection for credentials.
-Enhanced protection for OTA firmware updates.
-Fixed DoS vulnerabilities in firewall configuration pages. Thanks to Jinghe Gao’s contribution.
-Fixed DoS vulerabilities in httpd. Thanks to Howard McGreehan.
-Fixed information disclosure vulnerability. Thanks to Junxu (Hillstone Network Security Research Institute) contribution.
-Fixed CVE-2023-28702 and CVE-2023-28703. Thanks to Xingyu Xu(@tmotfl) contribution.
-Fixed null pointer dereference vulnerabilities. Thanks to Chengfeng Ye, Prism Research Group – cse hkust contribution.

V1 - https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/ZenWiFi_XT8/FW_ZENWIFI_XT8_300438823012.zip?model=ASUS ZenWiFi AX (XT8)

V2 - https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/ZenWiFi_XT8/FW_ZENWIFI_XT8_V2_300438823012..zip?model=ASUS ZenWiFi AX (XT8)
Ever since upgrading my ZenWifi router to this version, my Download Master wouldn't accept my authentication. Logging into the router GUI works fine, but logging into Download Master returns "Invalid username or password". I suspect it has something to do with the enhanced protection of credentials mentioned above. Is there any plan to fix this issue?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!