What's new

Release ASUS ZenWiFi AX (XT8) Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.23012

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dodgydrains

Regular Contributor
ASUS ZenWiFi AX XT8 V2 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.23012

New features:
-Built-in Surfshark in VPN Fusion allows you to surf the internet anonymously and securely from anywhere by encrypting connections. Please refer to https://asus.click/SurfsharkVPN

-iPhone/Android USB auto backup WAN allows you to connect your phone to the router’s USB port and use it as an internet source. Please refer to https://asus.click/AutobackupWAN

-DDNS transfer allows you to transfer your ASUS DDNS hostname from your original router to the new one. Please refer to https://asus.click/ASUSDDNS

Bug fixes and functionality modifications:
-Resolved the issue with login and password changes.
-Resolved the IPSec VPN connection issues.
-Resolved the Instant Guard connection issues.
-Fixed the AiCloud login issue after unplugging and plugging the HDD into the USB port.
-Fixed the issue where Traffic Analyzer sometimes couldn’t record data.
-Fixed the time display issue for the preferred upgrade time in the Auto Firmware Upgrade function.
-Fine-tuned the description for port status.
-Enabled DynDNS and No-IP DDNS to use IPv6.
-Fixed AiMesh preferred AP identification in site survey results.
-Updated timezone list for Greenland, Mexico, and Iran.
-Modified the USB application option text in dual WAN.
-Allowed WireGuard Server clients to access the Samba server.
-Fixed memory leak issue.
-Enabled the failback function when using the iOS/Android USB backup WAN.

Security updates:
-Enabled and supported ECDSA certificates for Let’s Encrypt.
-Enhanced protection for credentials.
-Enhanced protection for OTA firmware updates.
-Fixed DoS vulnerabilities in firewall configuration pages. Thanks to Jinghe Gao’s contribution.
-Fixed DoS vulerabilities in httpd. Thanks to Howard McGreehan.
-Fixed information disclosure vulnerability. Thanks to Junxu (Hillstone Network Security Research Institute) contribution.
-Fixed CVE-2023-28702 and CVE-2023-28703. Thanks to Xingyu Xu(@tmotfl) contribution.
-Fixed null pointer dereference vulnerabilities. Thanks to Chengfeng Ye, Prism Research Group – cse hkust contribution.

V1 - https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/ZenWiFi_XT8/FW_ZENWIFI_XT8_300438823012.zip?model=ASUS ZenWiFi AX (XT8)

V2 - https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/ZenWiFi_XT8/FW_ZENWIFI_XT8_V2_300438823012..zip?model=ASUS ZenWiFi AX (XT8)

ASUS ZenWiFi AX XT8 V2 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.23012

New features:
-Built-in Surfshark in VPN Fusion allows you to surf the internet anonymously and securely from anywhere by encrypting connections. Please refer to https://asus.click/SurfsharkVPN

-iPhone/Android USB auto backup WAN allows you to connect your phone to the router’s USB port and use it as an internet source. Please refer to https://asus.click/AutobackupWAN

-DDNS transfer allows you to transfer your ASUS DDNS hostname from your original router to the new one. Please refer to https://asus.click/ASUSDDNS

Bug fixes and functionality modifications:
-Resolved the issue with login and password changes.
-Resolved the IPSec VPN connection issues.
-Resolved the Instant Guard connection issues.
-Fixed the AiCloud login issue after unplugging and plugging the HDD into the USB port.
-Fixed the issue where Traffic Analyzer sometimes couldn’t record data.
-Fixed the time display issue for the preferred upgrade time in the Auto Firmware Upgrade function.
-Fine-tuned the description for port status.
-Enabled DynDNS and No-IP DDNS to use IPv6.
-Fixed AiMesh preferred AP identification in site survey results.
-Updated timezone list for Greenland, Mexico, and Iran.
-Modified the USB application option text in dual WAN.
-Allowed WireGuard Server clients to access the Samba server.
-Fixed memory leak issue.
-Enabled the failback function when using the iOS/Android USB backup WAN.

Looks like some nice features have been added, along with several much needed bug fixes! Does anyone have any idea when GNUton will release his new fork incorporating these features and fixes?

When the GPL is released, and when he has time.

I have 2 XT8s v1 with Ethernet Backhaul. After upgrading, my Mesh Node kept flapping. I had to downgrade to 3.0.0.4.388.22525 which stabilized the two nodes.

One of the bug fixes listed is:
"Fixed memory leak issue."

Anyone know any specifics about that?

I'm currently running firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.22525 and have noticed that memory use grows by about 1 Mbyte per day. I was planning on snapshotting ps stats every day (via ssh) to try to figure out which processes are leaking. Maybe this version fixes the problem.

I upgraded my XT8's and have noticed that the memory seems to be staying around 78-79% which is excellent. I have turned off my reboot scheduler (which still didn't help on the memory leak issue on the previous build) I suspect with this update I shouldn't have any random out of memory crashes that causes a forced reboot.

I pushed this firmware the other day through the client, works flawlessly from what I can see, no degradation and didn't wipe beforehand.

I came from 3.0.0.4.386.48706, because the previous updates were problematic on my wireless backhaul performance. On my 3.0.0.4.386.48706 setup I manually configured my wireless backhaul to ensure a 160MHz AX connection. With this latest release everything is working very well with auto settings and I do not have memory leak issues. So finally after one year an update that works for me!

I'm on HW rev. 1.0 and performed a dirty upgrade and did the factory reset after the update.

Could you be a liitle more specific about what was happening? Thanks
The mesh node's radio would disconnect for several minutes after coming online so all devices on it would disconnect. It would then recover, the radio broadcasts all the SSIDs, and would disconnect again. This would happen in a loop, I let it sit for 30 minutes to rule out that it had to do with reboots for the upgrade. I power cycled it and same problem.

Seems like others are not having issues so it might just be my setup which is pretty basic. I don't use any security features, no VPN, but I do have a Dual WAN setup which shouldn't impact the mesh node.

The mesh node's radio would disconnect for several minutes after coming online so all devices on it would disconnect. It would then recover, the radio broadcasts all the SSIDs, and would disconnect again. This would happen in a loop, I let it sit for 30 minutes to rule out that it had to do with reboots for the upgrade. I power cycled it and same problem.

Seems like others are not having issues so it might just be my setup which is pretty basic. I don't use any security features, no VPN, but I do have a Dual WAN setup which shouldn't impact the mesh node.
Thanks.

I installed it today on hardware version 1.0.
My backhaul is connected with 5ghz network number two.
After a while my backhaul connection goes in 2.4ghz , I don't now why..... getting crazy of it.
I had also a crash and had to reboot the two router manuale no connection was possible any more.
Why there is NO stable firmware for the two asus routers that will stay connected on the 5ghz.

my Hardware is V1.0, so far I have been stable for 4 days and 12 hours. As for my wireless backhaul, i always had/will continue to configure/tune it manually. My current backhaul is set to hidden, AX only, wifi agile multiband disabled, target waketime disabled, channel is locked at 160MHz, and I chose one of the U-NII-4 channels that was approved for use in America.
Also Ram has been hovering around 81-82% now, still monitoring for long term stability :)

I have v1 hardware and mine has been solid for about 5 days. The traffic analyzer is now working again as well. I do auto reboot twice a week, not sure if I will stop that or not.

I installed it today on hardware version 1.0.
My backhaul is connected with 5ghz network number two.
After a while my backhaul connection goes in 2.4ghz , I don't now why..... getting crazy of it.
I had also a crash and had to reboot the two router manuale no connection was possible any more.
Why there is NO stable firmware for the two asus routers that will stay connected on the 5ghz.
Hi, I bought at the end of March this router everything were working fine until I upgrade to this firmware, now I have the same issue, I have installed the previous version available, but I still have the issue.
I'm thinking to install another old version, until I found one wihtout this kind of issue.
Regards

Hi, I bought at the end of March this router everything were working fine until I upgrade to this firmware, now I have the same issue, I have installed the previous version available, but I still have the issue.
I'm thinking to install another old version, until I found one wihtout this kind of issue.
Regards
Have you tried a full reset after the upgrade?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!