What's new

Release ASUS ZenWiFi AX (XT8) Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.23012

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ever since upgrading my ZenWifi router to this version, my Download Master wouldn't accept my authentication. Logging into the router GUI works fine, but logging into Download Master returns "Invalid username or password". I suspect it has something to do with the enhanced protection of credentials mentioned above. Is there any plan to fix this issue?
I have exact same issue.

Of course, if the UK authorities happen to notice you broadcasting at illegally high power, you might become less happy. I grant that's unlikely, at least as long as you're not too close to any neighbors who might complain about interference.
Has the UK become a nation of snitches?

I have to recall that this firmware is not as stable as the 386 branch ( 3.0.0.4.386.48706). After +/- 10 days the wireless backhaul reverts from 5GHz 160MHz to a poor 2,4GHh connection. The solution is to reboot the satellite node to regain the 5GHz connection. This issue has surfaced for the 2nd time last weekend, very strange.

Have been fighting with these XT8 v.1 for 1½ year since I got them.
When working, the connection is fast, but it constantly switches between 5ghz and 2.4ghz backhaul.
I have tried to set it to 80Mhz but it's not possible to switch off DFS.
Really tired of this and looking for other Mesh systems but still hoping to get this sh.t to work.

When working, the connection is fast, but it constantly switches between 5ghz and 2.4ghz backhaul.
Really tired of this and looking for other Mesh systems but still hoping to get this sh.t to work.

Yeah, I am also getting nuts, I don't know why it works for two days on 5ghz backhaul and than it jumps on 2.4ghz.
When I reboot the router it goes back on 5ghz.
DFS is off.
HOW:
5 GHz-2 ( backhaul ) Channel bandwidth is 80 Mhz and Control Channel is 100
5 Ghz-1 Channel bandwidth 20/40/80 Mhz Control Channel is auto
2.4 GHz Channel bandwidth 20/40 Mhz Control Channel is 5

Welcome to the forums @Soren73.

1.5 years huh? You should have returned them originally within 1.5 weeks instead. Next time don't be so patient.

Do you have the same SSID for both bands? What have you tried to solve this problem? What firmware are you currently using? When was the last time you flashed a new firmware and then did a full reset to factory defaults and then minimally and manually configure the router to secure it and connect to your ISP (without using any saved backup config files)?

The more information you can provide, the better you may be helped.

Welcome to the forums @Soren73.

1.5 years huh? You should have returned them originally within 1.5 weeks instead. Next time don't be so patient.

Do you have the same SSID for both bands? What have you tried to solve this problem? What firmware are you currently using? When was the last time you flashed a new firmware and then did a full reset to factory defaults and then minimally and manually configure the router to secure it and connect to your ISP (without using any saved backup config files)?

The more information you can provide, the better you may be helped.
Yea You're right should have filled in with info:
Well was actually quite stable on FW 386.42095 for long time, but then it started acting again.
I have split the 2.4 and 5Ghz and doing the full reset on each FW upgrade/downgrade.
Set up from scratch after that.
Last one was yesterday with the newest 388.23012 but the Node keeps flipping back and forth between 2.4 and 5Ghz, each time throwing me of.
I have bound the wifes pc to the Master, so I don't get TO much anger from that part.
I live in Denmark close to the airport so guessing that's why the Radar keeps jamming the DFS channels.
REALLY thinking (even downloaded) the Gnuton FW, hoping it can solve thing or perhaps making the UNII-4 channels available for me.
Btw my XT8 is the v.1 in a 2 pair system.

With the airport close, simply don't use DFS channels at all.

How big is the area you're covering in SqFt? What is the construction of the walls/floors? It sounds like you may have too much WiFi in your home. Does a single router work better? Can you separate the nodes further apart?

If you need the node because of concrete walls/floors or other impenetrable construction materials, is a wired backhaul possible (at all)?

A drawing of the layout of your space may help with further ideas to resolve some of these issues for you.

With the airport close, simply don't use DFS channels at all.

How big is the area you're covering in SqFt? What is the construction of the walls/floors? It sounds like you may have too much WiFi in your home. Does a single router work better? Can you separate the nodes further apart?

If you need the node because of concrete walls/floors or other impenetrable construction materials, is a wired backhaul possible (at all)?

A drawing of the layout of your space may help with further ideas to resolve some of these issues for you.
I have tried to uncheck the DFS, but it keeps reverting back on. House is 154M2 (1700SqFt ish) so not that big.
We build it 10 years ago (keep banging my head why I didn't get network installed) but it's not possible without major construction.
Single router works fine but cannot reach in to the living room. Walls are concrete. Its a 1 store house so no upper or lower levels.
Red star = router
Blue star = node
1683646843338.png

If your settings don't take, to me, that points to a need to do a full reset at this point.

Yes. 1,700 SqFt is too small on a single floor for an AiMesh setup.

I would try putting the node at the furthest line-of-sight point from the main router possible instead.

I would also think that running a cable for wired backhaul (with the router and node at the furthest possible points within the area) would be money well spent for your situation too.

I keep saying it, the XT8 v1s have a hardware issue Asus doesn't want to admit to. Go try an XT9 and you'll see all the connection issues of the XT8 has don't exist on the XT9. Could be that the XT8 v2 fixed the issue too but I never tested one to verify

I keep saying it, the XT8 v1s have a hardware issue Asus doesn't want to admit to. Go try an XT9 and you'll see all the connection issues of the XT8 has don't exist on the XT9. Could be that the XT8 v2 fixed the issue too but I never tested one to verify
Reverting back to 3.0.0.4.386.48706 solves my backhaul frequency issues (5GHz > 2,4GHz).

Reverting back to 3.0.0.4.386.48706 solves my backhaul frequency issues (5GHz > 2,4GHz).
Will be my next step.
Just tried the Gnuton fw and see how it goes.
Hoped it would open for the Unii-4 channels, but it didn't.
Will see how stable it is or try the 48706

I would say that's luck as that doesn't fix the issue for everyone, including me when I had the XT8. For me when the backhaul issues started(usually after flashing a new firmware), I would revert to the last version that worked and the issue was still there. Heck, I even flashed every firmware available including 42095(and factory reset after each flash also) and the backhaul issues were still there, even though it did seem that if you let it "settle", it would work fine until the next reboot/update

Wouldn't say everything is just pink and flowery, but now almost 24 hours after, the connection is still green.
I even set it to 160Mhz since it wouldn't turn off the DSF channels.

Wouldn't say everything is just pink and flowery, but now almost 24 hours after, the connection is still green.
I even set it to 160Mhz since it wouldn't turn off the DSF channels.

For me it stays sometime more than 24hours on green.
Sometimes for 5 days and than it is orange...
Only with a reboot it is back green.

So hoppefuly it stays green for you now.
Hopefully there will be a fix soon that it always stays green ;-) .

I have to disagree. I’m running a dsl-ax82u as my modem router with two XT9 nodes. Ever since this latest update the nodes are constantly dropping connection and/or only showing 2.4ghz connection. I’ve tried rebooting and removing/adding the nodes as new with no effect. Guess I’m going to have to try rolling back the firmware next.

ASUS ZenWiFi AX XT8 V2 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.23012

New features:
-Built-in Surfshark in VPN Fusion allows you to surf the internet anonymously and securely from anywhere by encrypting connections. Please refer to https://asus.click/SurfsharkVPN

-iPhone/Android USB auto backup WAN allows you to connect your phone to the router’s USB port and use it as an internet source. Please refer to https://asus.click/AutobackupWAN

-DDNS transfer allows you to transfer your ASUS DDNS hostname from your original router to the new one. Please refer to https://asus.click/ASUSDDNS

Bug fixes and functionality modifications:
-Resolved the issue with login and password changes.
-Resolved the IPSec VPN connection issues.
-Resolved the Instant Guard connection issues.
-Fixed the AiCloud login issue after unplugging and plugging the HDD into the USB port.
-Fixed the issue where Traffic Analyzer sometimes couldn’t record data.
-Fixed the time display issue for the preferred upgrade time in the Auto Firmware Upgrade function.
-Fine-tuned the description for port status.
-Enabled DynDNS and No-IP DDNS to use IPv6.
-Fixed AiMesh preferred AP identification in site survey results.
-Updated timezone list for Greenland, Mexico, and Iran.
-Modified the USB application option text in dual WAN.
-Allowed WireGuard Server clients to access the Samba server.
-Fixed memory leak issue.
-Enabled the failback function when using the iOS/Android USB backup WAN.

Security updates:
-Enabled and supported ECDSA certificates for Let’s Encrypt.
-Enhanced protection for credentials.
-Enhanced protection for OTA firmware updates.
-Fixed DoS vulnerabilities in firewall configuration pages. Thanks to Jinghe Gao’s contribution.
-Fixed DoS vulerabilities in httpd. Thanks to Howard McGreehan.
-Fixed information disclosure vulnerability. Thanks to Junxu (Hillstone Network Security Research Institute) contribution.
-Fixed CVE-2023-28702 and CVE-2023-28703. Thanks to Xingyu Xu(@tmotfl) contribution.
-Fixed null pointer dereference vulnerabilities. Thanks to Chengfeng Ye, Prism Research Group – cse hkust contribution.

V1 - https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/ZenWiFi_XT8/FW_ZENWIFI_XT8_300438823012.zip?model=ASUS ZenWiFi AX (XT8)

V2 - https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/ZenWiFi_XT8/FW_ZENWIFI_XT8_V2_300438823012..zip?model=ASUS ZenWiFi AX (XT8)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!