What's new

Asus ZENWIFI XT8 - AP Mode using switch

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tidus

New Around Here
Hello good afternoon.
I bought 3 asus zen wifi xt8 router to work as Access points in mesh system in the house.
I have the main router/modem from ISP connected to a switch and I connected 3 Zen wifi routers to the switch through wall in each floor, as explained in the link below in Scenario 3, that is, the main module connected to the switch on lan1 and the other 2 connected to the switch on the wan port.

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1044151/
Scenario 3: Using AiMesh or ZenWiFi with network switch. And using Main AiMesh router as AP mode (Bridge mode).

What happens is that I can only connect via WIFI with one device. If connecting another device always gives an error and I have tried with many. I can connect by cable on several different devices (computers) directly to the main XT8 module that is connected to the switch so I think this is not a DHCP problem with the ISP router because assigns IP to the two cable-connected devices. The problem is that I can't connect via wifi.
Whay I am doing wrong? I did what asus told in that support page. Can you advice me other layout?

I appreciate all possible help. Thank you very much.

Hello good afternoon.
I bought 3 asus zen wifi xt8 router to work as Access points in mesh system in the house.
I have the main router/modem from ISP connected to a switch and I connected 3 Zen wifi routers to the switch through wall in each floor, as explained in the link below in Scenario 3, that is, the main module connected to the switch on lan1 and the other 2 connected to the switch on the wan port.

Scenario 3: Using AiMesh or ZenWiFi with network switch. And using Main AiMesh router as AP mode (Bridge mode).

What happens is that I can only connect via WIFI with one device. If connecting another device always gives an error and I have tried with many. I can connect by cable on several different devices (computers) directly to the main XT8 module that is connected to the switch so I think this is not a DHCP problem with the ISP router because assigns IP to the two cable-connected devices. The problem is that I can't connect via wifi.
Whay I am doing wrong? I did what asus told in that support page. Can you advice me other layout?

I wonder if it would help to setup the AiMesh wired direct in AP Mode to test; then reconnect it as Scenario3. Would need some wires.

Setup and test:
ISP router <wired> WAN root node LAN <wired> WAN remote node(s)

If that works, reconnect Scenario3:

ISP router <wired> switch ...
... <wired> LAN root node
... <wired> WAN remote node(s)

There is also the prospect of trying RC2-9 AiMesh 2.0 beta firmware.

Also, be sure to begin with reset routers before configuration.

OE

Last edited:
I'd rather bridge the ISP router, connect straight to WAN at master in AiMesh mode, put the switch behind it, and the AiMesh nodes wired either to the switch or the other LAN ports on the master.

ISP router in bridge mode -> AiMesh master -> switch -> node 1 and 2

Hello good afternoon.

Hey! Have you found the solution to this? I'm in the same boat now. I didn't follow the diagram in Scenario 3. Instead, I connected the main XT8 node via the WAN port from my switch. I also connected the mesh node via the WAN port from the switch. Somehow this works for me. But I'm afraid I'm missing something. Thanks!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!