What's new

Release ASUS ZenWiFi XT8 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.49873 (2022/08/04)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Regular Contributor
ASUS ZenWiFi AX (XT8) Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.49873
1. Fixed CVE-2018-1160 Thanks to Steven Sroba
2. Fixed anomalous 802.11 frame issues.
Thanks to Kari Hulkko and Tuomo Untinen from The Synopsys Cybersecurity Research Center (CyRC). Issue was found by using Defensics Fuzz Testing Tool.
3. Improved system stability.
4. Supported Safe Browsing in the router app to filter explicit content from search results. You can set it in the router app --> Devices or Family.

btw, i dirty installed it a couple of hours ago through my main router and haven't noticed any issues so far.. lets see

Updated my two XT8s (AiMesh with wireless backhaul), did a factory reset and manually re-initialised everything, and so far everything seems fine.
I'll report back if I encounter any problems.

Last edited:
well, it's been a day, haven't noticed anything. hopefully they'll keep the firmware stable. this is the way things should be! :)

well, it's been a day, haven't noticed anything. hopefully they'll keep the firmware stable. this is the way things should be! :)
Yes, stable for me, too, although it usually takes 2 or 3 days to tell if the wireless backhaul remains stable.
But so far so good.

New user (hi!), fallen down the XT8 wireless backhaul rabbit hole and stumbled across this site. Currently on 48706 firmware (2021 build year devices) which they updated to when i first setup a month or so back. Router plus one additional node and when it works well, its brilliant in terms of speed and coverage but as Ive read with others on here, randomly the additional node loses its backhaul conneciton - sometimes reconnecting in a few seconds (blue flashing) but sometimes cycles reconnecting for 5 or 6 tries and usually when this happens it only lasts a short time before cycling again. Ive enabled the nightly restart which seems to help a little.

Wondering what my options are from others who might have experienced this and whether I should upgrade to this newer firmware, which my app is now showing available.

When I do a firmware upgrade, is there any preferred order to do it in?

thanks in advance!

New user (hi!), fallen down the XT8 wireless backhaul rabbit hole and stumbled across this site. Currently on 48706 firmware (2021 build year devices) which they updated to when i first setup a month or so back. Router plus one additional node and when it works well, its brilliant in terms of speed and coverage but as Ive read with others on here, randomly the additional node loses its backhaul conneciton - sometimes reconnecting in a few seconds (blue flashing) but sometimes cycles reconnecting for 5 or 6 tries and usually when this happens it only lasts a short time before cycling again. Ive enabled the nightly restart which seems to help a little.

Wondering what my options are from others who might have experienced this and whether I should upgrade to this newer firmware, which my app is now showing available.

When I do a firmware upgrade, is there any preferred order to do it in?

thanks in advance!

Try setting your backhaul to 80Hz and using non DFS channels (you can see which channels are DFS in the wireless log). This firmware seems stable so far, I just upgraded through the webinterface and let it do it's thing with the mesh node.

I'm having issues with this firmware, it's dropping back to 2,4GHZ backhaul. Reverting back to 9.0.0.4.386.48966.

I'm also new to te forum and see all alot of people talking about 160mhz, is 80hmz better?

Hi thanks for the reply? Novice user so could you perhaps guide me through how I do that?

Respectfully, before you do that, I recommend installing this new firmware on all nodes, then doing a factory-reset, and manually re-initialise, changing the minimum amount of backhaul settings that you have to for your situation. This gives you the chance to fully test the new firmware on its standard (factory) settings. The factory settings can and do change between firmware releases, and ASUS changes them to make it more stable. If you just upgrade on top of a previous version, you are keeping all the old settings, and those can contribute to it not working as solidly as it should.

I'm using my two 2021-model XT8s on this firmware with the 160MHz backhaul, and it seems solid - no fall-backs to 80 MHz or 2.4 GHz so far. After a reset, the only changes I made to the factory defaults for the backhaul are that I changed it to "AX only" and channel bandwidth "160 MHz" (only).

I'm having issues with this firmware, it's dropping back to 2,4GHZ backhaul. Reverting back to 9.0.0.4.386.48966.

I'm also new to te forum and see all alot of people talking about 160mhz, is 80hmz better?
Same here. After about 12 hours, wireless backhaul dropped to 2.4GHz. I am running on 80MHz channel. I rolled back to previous firmware version.

Same here. After about 12 hours, wireless backhaul dropped to 2.4GHz. I am running on 80MHz channel. I rolled back to previous firmware version.

I've been running more than a day without a single fall-back, and I'm running a dedicated 160MHz backhaul. Obviously our situations can be different - I don't live near an airport and/or weather-station, and the weather is currently dry - but did you do a factory-reset after the upgrade? If you didn't, then you're running on old settings which may not be optimal for this firmware.

Respectfully, before you do that, I recommend installing this new firmware on all nodes, then doing a factory-reset, and manually re-initialise, changing the minimum amount of backhaul settings that you have to for your situation. This gives you the chance to fully test the new firmware on its standard (factory) settings. The factory settings can and do change between firmware releases, and ASUS changes them to make it more stable. If you just upgrade on top of a previous version, you are keeping all the old settings, and those can contribute to it not working as solidly as it should.

I'm using my two 2021-model XT8s on this firmware with the 160MHz backhaul, and it seems solid - no fall-backs to 80 MHz or 2.4 GHz so far. After a reset, the only changes I made to the factory defaults for the backhaul are that I changed it to "AX only" and channel bandwidth "160 MHz" (only).
If it helps, I've made basically no changes at all! I separated the 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks onto seperate SSIDs, changed the SSID names to be the same as the old along with the passkey to save reconfiguring the devices. Apart from that, it's stock

If it helps, I've made basically no changes at all! I separated the 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks onto seperate SSIDs, changed the SSID names to be the same as the old along with the passkey to save reconfiguring the devices. Apart from that, it's stock
So after the upgrade to this firmware version, you performed a factory reset, then applied these changes?

So after the upgrade to this firmware version, you performed a factory reset, then applied these changes?
Was new out of the box. Only had them a couple of months. Set them up, immediately wanted to update firmware which I did, then made the changes above. Haven't done a reset at any stage

Was new out of the box. Only had them a couple of months. Set them up, immediately wanted to update firmware which I did, then made the changes above. Haven't done a reset at any stage
That's my point, you've upgraded on top of the previous version's default settings, so your new version is running with the old defaults (including things you may not be able to set via the GUI).

But when you do a 'factory reset' after upgrading to a new version, you get all the new default settings of the new version.

The only way to reliably test and evaluate the new version, is to reset after upgrade.

ASUS ZenWiFi AX (XT8) Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.49873
1. Fixed CVE-2018-1160 Thanks to Steven Sroba
2. Fixed anomalous 802.11 frame issues.
Thanks to Kari Hulkko and Tuomo Untinen from The Synopsys Cybersecurity Research Center (CyRC). Issue was found by using Defensics Fuzz Testing Tool.
3. Improved system stability.
4. Supported Safe Browsing in the router app to filter explicit content from search results. You can set it in the router app --> Devices or Family.
Does this firmware version solve the WPA Pre-Share key over 32 characters bug from version 3.0.0.4.386.48706?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!