What's new

Release ASUS ZenWiFi XT8 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.21099 (2022/10/03 )

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I rolled back to the latest stable GNUton build. Several of my outside smart bulbs would not connect (weak signal) with this 10/3 firmware. Overall network speeds slower as well. Back to normal with GNUton.

I'm still in two minds about this firmware. My wireless backhaul (on 5-2) seems to be a bit faster most of the time, but connection speed does fluctuate if I look at the wireless logs. Devices connected to 5-1 are also faster, but I get a lot of disconnects for them in the remote areas of the house (almost as if coverage shrank a bit).

I was going to flush 386.49873 again to compare but this morning I got a really big increate in speed tests from desktop connected to the node via ethernet (370mbps vs 320 that I usually had vs 300 that I had on 386.49873). The RSSI and TX/RX numbers are unchanged though...

Ok, so I tried downgrade. After the main node is back on 386 I still get the same speed, but as soon as I downgrade secondary node speed is back to what is used to be (i.e. almost 25% lower for me). I upgraded secondary node back to 388 and speed is back up. So I'll try this combination for a little while and report back.

Hello! I have a problem with this new firmware version. When gaming I get massive lag spikes/disconnects occasionally. I upgraded with the iOS app like I usually do since it is so easy. When I got this issues I hard reset it (turning it on and holding WPS button) but that didn't work. Now I have also changed some settings to lock the WiFi channel for both 2,4 Ghz and 5Ghz and I also decreased the frequency range (or whatever it is called, 20/40/80 Hz etc). This seems to make it a bit better but I still get lag spikes/disconnects. Is this a known issue with this version? Feels like all I can do is wait for a new version that fixes the issue? Also, I use a single XT8 for my apartment since I don't need mesh in such a small space.

Seems like there's an increase in speed but decrease in reliability for this firmware. Hopefully they can fix it in the next one.

Good morning,
I have a problem with my XT8 after upgrading to 3.0.0.4.386.49873 or 3.0.0.4.388.21099.
The last stable firmware for me is 3.0.0.4.386.48706.
My node loses communication with the main unit, the LED light is yellow and I loose connection or it is very unstable.
I did a hard reset but it didn't help.
The main unit is on the first floor of the house and connects to the nod on the second floor wirelessly. I did the test by putting both units side by side - same story; yellow LED light and lost connection.
What could be the reason? Which settings should be changed to restore connection stability with the latest firmware?
Regards.
Hi,

I've experienced exactly the same bug. Very unstable following the upgrade with the symptoms described.

Is it possible to revert the firmware to the previous version simply by uploading the .trx file?

Many thanks

Well, I was happy with the reliability/stability of this firmware, no problems functionally...I finally looked at the speed, though, and noticed that it was lower than I was used to by 10 - 20%. Went back to the previous firmware, and what do you know? Faster again. So I guess I'll stay with the previous version, at least for a while, it was also very stable here.

On the one hand, I didn't do a full reset after I flashed this newest firmware version. On the other hand, the previous version is faster. When I upgrade again, and that will happen *smile*, I will do the full factory reset and see if that gives me the speed that I expect or not.

I was considering this router for family use as it’s relatively unobtrusive - compared to an AX11000 for instance.

CPU is a bit weak, but there’s no VPN Fusion, is there?

It’s 388 firmware, but no VPN Fusion??

Can someone pls confirm?

Thanks…

With this firmware I have had two hard freezes on my main XT8 resulting in having to manually reboot the thing - I have unfortunately therefore reverted back to previous stable firmware. ugh.... the Asus curse strikes again!

Dirty upgrade on my two installations (4 xt8s in one house and 2 xt8s in another).
No problems at all.
Never made a factory reset from the first firmware I used (42095)
How much free RAM do you have? After another full factory reset including WPS reset thre days ago, I have 120 MB free. With the exact same settings on previous firmwares (including GNuton's) I have always had circa 200 MB free. Seems a bit weird.

Hi Guys new here. Just bought XT8 with 1 nod. Setup was easy but somehow my all 27 device connecting to main . Nod has 0 connected device. Not sure why? Any input please? Both unit has same new firmware 21099.

How much free RAM do you have? After another full factory reset including WPS reset thre days ago, I have 120 MB free. With the exact same settings on previous firmwares (including GNuton's) I have always had circa 200 MB free. Seems a bit weird.

Just checked on my 4 xt8s installation: 75mb free
(a poor amount, indeed!)

I updated from previous version to 3.0.0.4.388.21099 and now the node looses connection to main unit at least once a day (it is able to reconnect after a couple of minutes by itself though). Haven't tried factory reset yet.

I will be reverting back to previous FW, mine is now 115MB and keeps reducing each day.

Asus is no longer dropping the cache when you log in to the UI, which is why free mem is like that. It's not a bug and all recent releases for all models are doing that now

Asus is no longer dropping the cache when you log in to the UI, which is why free mem is like that. It's not a bug and all recent releases for all models are doing that now
Thanks, do you know at what point it will free up the RAM? My concern is it may get close to zero and need a reboot. Not something I have had to worry about before.

And you don't need to worry about it now either.

The method of RAM management hasn't changed, only what it presents to us has.

For the first time, my main xt8 router (in a total of 4 xt8s aimesh system) stuck!
No access to the interface, no internet... white led as usual, but only thing I had to do was a power-reboot...

In the log, this is the last event recorded before the freeze:
Oct 12 17:01:20 dnsmasq-dhcp[2712]: failed to write /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: No space left on device (retry in 60s)

Maybe not directly related to the new firmware, but I'll keep an eye on it... even on my second network (made of two XT8s)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!