What's new

Release Asus ZenWiFi XT8 - New Firmware: 3.0.0.4.386_45934

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Running
Can anyone share their recent experiences after upgrading to 46061? I am still on 42095 and am itching to get current. Much appreciate a report from users of 46061 please
No problems here.
2 XT8’s mesh setup, wireless backhaul, around 26 devices, ring alarm system. Including wireless cameras that are always recording. fridge, tv’s, Apple TV, laptops, windows and Mac’s, Amazon fire stick 4K, smart wifi door lock, printer, wireless scanner, ecobee thermostat, MyQ garage opener. And an apple time capsule on bridge mode that is hardwired to the node. For the time machine backups.
I canceled my cable tv service, so TV’s are always using streaming services. running all defaults, guest network enabled and 2nd guest network enabled to run as 2G for MyQ garage opener. That one has a really weak signal. is a bit far from the router in a detached garage and was having an issue staying connected.
Connection I’m paying for is 400 Mbps and I usually get at least the 400. On both. The router and the node.

Thanks a bunch for your reply. I asked 4 clarifying questions able. Please let me know if I should look out for anything special after updating, thank you.

Yes, I did a WPS button reset to factory defaults after flashing 46061. And manually restored my settings.

Yes, our XT8's are set up as a wireless mesh, in AP mode, as I mentioned. Yes, I'm using wireless backhaul since it has worked best for me and is almost as fast as wired backhaul. I've found that the easiest way to get the mesh going after resetting to factory defaults is to follow the simple step-by-step process using the Asus Router app.

I do turn off 160MHz. channel width, since I've found using the DFS channels to be too unstable for me in this location. Also turn off UPnP and WPS, as well as any services turned on by default in "USB Applications". I'd note that I also select specific channels on the 2.4GHz. (20MHz. channel width), 5GHz-1, and 5GHz-2 wireless radios. As well as turning off "Universal Beamforming" (under "Professional" tab in wireless section) on all radios. Since I like having one SSID, also use "smart connect".

I do like the Traffic Statistics, so I turn that on, and accept the Trend Micro agreement. If Traffic Statisics isn't working, I turn on QoS on the "Bandwidth limiter" setting, then "Web History" until the Traffic Statistics starts working...then I can turn off "Web History" and QoS.

That's about all I can think of at the moment in terms of configuration *smile*.

If you're interested in the internet speed that I see, we're on a 500/500Mbps speed tier fiber connection. That's provisioned at about 620/620Mbps. With the configuration mentioned above (wireless backhaul using wifi-6), I usually see about 600/600Mbps on internet speed tests at the remote node, but always > 575Mbps. Very happy with these speeds, close enough to what I saw on wifi speed when we were on gigabit to not care about the difference.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback, encouraging. I have a couple of follow-ups:
1. Do you have a mesh node setup? (2x XT8's?)
2. If so, is it a wired or wireless back haul?
3. Did you perform a factory reset using the WPS method after 46061 upgrade?
4. Did you turn off anything (160mhz etc.) when manually entering the config?

Sorry to ask so many questions. I want to upgrade ASAP since my 3rd Mesh Node RT-AC88U does not work as part of the mesh ever since I updated its firmware to the latest available and am thinking this XT8 is so far behind might be the issue
I have never ever reset my Asus routers before or after a firm update. Asus do not tell you to do so, but in very specific occasions. I'm not going to reconfigure everything each time. It has no sense, I think.

No problems at all. No device with disconnections. Never log in the router. It reboots at Sunday morning, scheduled. SmartConnect ONLY with loadbalancing.

These are my settings:

1644995898093.png

1644995925482.png

1644995945341.png

1644995964920.png

1644995991284.png

Is there anyone who can help me?? I'm already on my 3rd set of XT8's since with every set I experience the same problem:

My 2nd node, which is connected through wifi backhaul, always crashes after a couple days/weeks. I can't figure out what the problem is, since after a reset everything is working fine.... I don't know what to do. Return this product and buy an AX86u in Mesh???

I have never ever reset my Asus routers before or after a firm update. Asus do not tell you to do so, but in very specific occasions. I'm not going to reconfigure everything each time. It has no sense, I think.

No problems at all. No device with disconnections. Never log in the router. It reboots at Sunday morning, scheduled. SmartConnect ONLY with loadbalancing.

These are my settings:

View attachment 39529

View attachment 39530

View attachment 39531

View attachment 39532

View attachment 39533
Thanks a bunch for posting your config, much appreciated.

Yes, I did a WPS button reset to factory defaults after flashing 46061. And manually restored my settings.

Yes, our XT8's are set up as a wireless mesh, in AP mode, as I mentioned. Yes, I'm using wireless backhaul since it has worked best for me and is almost as fast as wired backhaul. I've found that the easiest way to get the mesh going after resetting to factory defaults is to follow the simple step-by-step process using the Asus Router app.

I do turn off 160MHz. channel width, since I've found using the DFS channels to be too unstable for me in this location. Also turn off UPnP and WPS, as well as any services turned on by default in "USB Applications". I'd note that I also select specific channels on the 2.4GHz. (20MHz. channel width), 5GHz-1, and 5GHz-2 wireless radios. As well as turning off "Universal Beamforming" (under "Professional" tab in wireless section) on all radios. Since I like having one SSID, also use "smart connect".

I do like the Traffic Statistics, so I turn that on, and accept the Trend Micro agreement. If Traffic Statisics isn't working, I turn on QoS on the "Bandwidth limiter" setting, then "Web History" until the Traffic Statistics starts working...then I can turn off "Web History" and QoS.

That's about all I can think of at the moment in terms of configuration *smile*.

If you're interested in the internet speed that I see, we're on a 500/500Mbps speed tier fiber connection. That's provisioned at about 620/620Mbps. With the configuration mentioned above (wireless backhaul using wifi-6), I usually see about 600/600Mbps on internet speed tests at the remote node, but always > 575Mbps. Very happy with these speeds, close enough to what I saw on wifi speed when we were on gigabit to not care about the difference.
Awesome, thank you. This will help a lot. Going to upgrade this coming weekend since I don't want to risk it since I am WFH.

Running

No problems here.
2 XT8’s mesh setup, wireless backhaul, around 26 devices, ring alarm system. Including wireless cameras that are always recording. fridge, tv’s, Apple TV, laptops, windows and Mac’s, Amazon fire stick 4K, smart wifi door lock, printer, wireless scanner, ecobee thermostat, MyQ garage opener. And an apple time capsule on bridge mode that is hardwired to the node. For the time machine backups.
I canceled my cable tv service, so TV’s are always using streaming services. running all defaults, guest network enabled and 2nd guest network enabled to run as 2G for MyQ garage opener. That one has a really weak signal. is a bit far from the router in a detached garage and was having an issue staying connected.
Connection I’m paying for is 400 Mbps and I usually get at least the 400. On both. The router and the node.
Fantastic, I am looking forward to upgrading this weekend.

Hello all,

I have upgraded to 46061, factory reset using WPS method but now I cannot get any of my mesh units to successfully connect/show up. Is there a setting on my main XT8 router that might be preventing me from adding mesh nodes? I have tried unsuccessfully to add a XT8, RT-AC88U, RT-AC5300. I am at a loss. Pls help if you have any suggestions

Have you enabled WPS (at least temporarily, turn it off again after the node is successfully added)?

I just did another factory reset on the Main/Router XT8 and in the 3rd step it sets up a Mesh node. Nada, failed again, no go on adding any mesh nodes. I have 3 units I can try and none have worked. This is driving me crazy. This time I have not customized anything, turned on guest networks or changes the base IP. I have left everything default but still no joy.
I have also factory reset all of the 3 mesh nodes I am trying to connect - FYI. Something is so wrong here and I have spent over 6 hours now.

Have you tried the Asus Router smart phone app to get your mesh going? Not clear if you're using the web admin GUI or the smart phone app. Yes, resetting all the nodes should make it easy to get your mesh going, sounds like something not happening. How are you resetting your nodes? WPS button or reset button? WPS button reset is more complete reset (for some reason), so use that if you haven't already:

Personally, haven't had any problems restarting my mesh from ground zero using the smart phone app with the nodes fully reset. Sorry that you're having this problem. I did have to reset the router node as well as the other nodes once when things got a little weird, though *smile*. If you're using wired backhaul, I'd suggest disconnecting wired backhaul until you get your mesh going again. Then you can add wired backhaul back in, and check the "wired backhaul" box under the "System" tab in "AiMesh" settings in web admin interface.

In addition to what @RogerSC suggests above, you may want to try adding the nodes with a wired connection (at least to connect them.

Be sure you don't have Ethernet Backhaul Mode set to 'On' in AiMesh, System Settings tab. (This is one I check after the WPS reset).

In addition to what @RogerSC suggests above, you may want to try adding the nodes with a wired connection (at least to connect them.

Be sure you don't have Ethernet Backhaul Mode set to 'On' in AiMesh, System Settings tab. (This is one I check after the WPS reset).
Thanks Roger & L&LD:

I have tried both App route to setup as well as GUI. I have reset using the WPS press and turn on hard reset 3 times. Ethernet Backhaul Mode is off. I have tried adding the mesh routers via Wifi and via Ethernet cable. I give up.

Should I go back to 42095 since that did work or is there a more recent version that is stable enough as 42095 was?

Thanks all for helping.

Note that I am not personally familiar with the Zen-WiFi routers.

However, if issues like you're seeing persist, I would reflash the most current firmware and reset it, repeatedly, and in as many different ways as you can, until the hardware/firmware performs as expected (i.e. a 'Nuclear' reset).

Fully Reset Router and Network

Thanks Roger & L&LD:

I have tried both App route to setup as well as GUI. I have reset using the WPS press and turn on hard reset 3 times. Ethernet Backhaul Mode is off. I have tried adding the mesh routers via Wifi and via Ethernet cable. I give up.

Should I go back to 42095 since that did work or is there a more recent version that is stable enough as 42095 was?

Thanks all for helping.

Yes, if 42095 works for you, I'd go back to it. I'm very curious to hear if you can get your mesh going with that firmware release. You're going to need to do the resets to factory default again after flashing, sorry to say. Once you get to a good, working, known state, you can decide where to go from there.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!