What's new

Release Asus ZenWiFi XT8 - New Firmware: 3.0.0.4.386_45934

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rebought a pair of XT8s. Upgraded to 45934 before any services / features such as guestnet, vpn etc were enabled. RSSI for backhaul between -47 and -52dBm. 2.4GHz net on non-overlapping channel (with any neighbors), channel width 20MHz. 5Ghz channels 1 & 2 using non-overlapping/interfering channels.
Still the backhaul reverts to 2.4GHz randomly.
Must be fundamental flaw in the design of the network management on these.

Well, not everything is as bad as you say. I have 2xXT8, connected by a cable. There are no problems with this firmware at all!
I think that's what it comes down to - the more recent firmwares have been unstable when used with the wireless backhaul. Agree that's no issue for people with a wired backhaul, but it's a big weakness in the context of product as sold.

it is a pity that the software engineering is holding the capabilities of the hardware back. After all it is a system promoted for those that can’t or won’t run wired backhaul.

Well, not everything is as bad as you say. I have 2xXT8, connected by a cable. There are no problems with this firmware at all!
I agree that the product is fine on Ethernet backhaul mode. I would've used Ethernet backhaul if that's possible.

But, the ZenWiFi XT8 is marketed as mesh WiFi system with Tri-Band dedicated wireless backhaul which in reality it doesn't work very reliably on wireless backhaul.

It's really fast when it works but it's prone to disconnections, slow-down and etc.

Rebought a pair of XT8s. Upgraded to 45934 before any services / features such as guestnet, vpn etc were enabled. RSSI for backhaul between -47 and -52dBm. 2.4GHz net on non-overlapping channel (with any neighbors), channel width 20MHz. 5Ghz channels 1 & 2 using non-overlapping/interfering channels.
I had this issue previously and the only thing that fixed that is disabling roaming assistant. But, doing this will impact your roaming on other devices as well.

AiMesh backhaul management will never reattempt 5Ghz backhaul once it's dropped to 2.4Ghz. That's just poor software engineering.

I had this issue previously and the only thing that fixed that is disabling roaming assistant. But, doing this will impact your roaming on other devices as well.

AiMesh backhaul management will never reattempt 5Ghz backhaul once it's dropped to 2.4Ghz. That's just poor software engineering.
It is indeed a lovely kit both feature, design and hardware wise so it’s unfortunate that the functionality issues is holding it back. Will return this set.

Try disabling "Smart Connect", and for 2.4 GHz wireless mode enable "N only". And, maybe, put Modulation Scheme in "Up to MCS 7 (802.11 n)"

Last edited:
One more issue seems to be the roaming (handover) of devices. Noticed today that the handover causes my vpn to drop having to reconnect, 10-15 second drop. Further more ongoing MS Teams calls will drop even if they run outside the tunnel.
I do not intend to complain just hope ASUS is reading this thread for input to what they should consider to focus to solve.

I’m curious why some users seem to have so many issues with this mesh system. I’ve been teleworking since before I got them. And haven’t had one problem with them. Use all Microsoft 365 software, including Teams. My kid was teleworking his schooling until not long ago. Using zoom. I have over 20 devices running, from ring alarm system, wireless security cameras, smart locks, MyQ garage opener, fridge, an apple Time Capsule in bridge mode that is used for backups only. Ecobee thermostat, PC’s, Mac’s, a few Alexa devices and the dash cam in my truck connects to the network when In the garage.
currently running Version 45934. And I think this was the 3rd update since I got the system.
my cable speed is 400 and usually get over 400. Using wireless backhaul and a VPN when I’m teleworking.

I’m curious why some users seem to have so many issues with this mesh system. I’ve been teleworking since before I got them. And haven’t had one problem with them. Use all Microsoft 365 software, including Teams. My kid was teleworking his schooling until not long ago. Using zoom. I have over 20 devices running, from ring alarm system, wireless security cameras, smart locks, MyQ garage opener, fridge, an apple Time Capsule in bridge mode that is used for backups only. Ecobee thermostat, PC’s, Mac’s, a few Alexa devices and the dash cam in my truck connects to the network when In the garage.
currently running Version 45934. And I think this was the 3rd update since I got the system.
my cable speed is 400 and usually get over 400. Using wireless backhaul and a VPN when I’m teleworking.
There is the list of issues related to AP mode, so you're not experiencing them when using as a router. Additionally, everyone has different set of wireless devices with their own issues in combination with XT8. So, you should just be happy that your setup does not bring you issues :)

I used to experience the same issue with the backhaul reverting to 2.4Ghz. I changed the Backhaul to the wireless settings in the screenshot, factory reset the mesh node and rejoined. I haven't had a problem in months now and it's been working really great.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-24 at 4.58.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-24 at 4.58.59 PM.png
    346.8 KB · Views: 368
I used to experience the same issue with the backhaul reverting to 2.4Ghz. I changed the Backhaul to the wireless settings in the screenshot, factory reset the mesh node and rejoined. I haven't had a problem in months now and it's been working really great.
Hi
Thanks for sharing. It worked until I applied 46061 which is now causing new entertainment.

Can anyone share their recent experiences after upgrading to 46061? I am still on 42095 and am itching to get current. Much appreciate a report from users of 46061 please

Can anyone share their recent experiences after upgrading to 46061? I am still on 42095 and am itching to get current. Much appreciate a report from users of 46061 please

No problems at all here. About 30 devices, router mode (no mesh), smartconnect triband, 9 iot devices... Nothing connected in usb or ethernet, only wifi use.

Fine here, using AP mode, though. Wireless backhaul, 20 clients including computers, media streaming boxes, mobile devices (phones, laptops, and tablets). Also no USB devices or wired clients. Wired clients are on the RT-AX86U "main" router. No light bulbs, thermostats, or other IoT devices. All working well. Happy to be off 42095, might even try using ZenWiFi in router mode, now that it's all up to date *smile*.

No problems at all here. About 30 devices, router mode (no mesh), smartconnect triband, 9 iot devices... Nothing connected in usb or ethernet, only wifi use.
Thanks for the feedback, encouraging. I have a couple of follow-ups:
1. Do you have a mesh node setup? (2x XT8's?)
2. If so, is it a wired or wireless back haul?
3. Did you perform a factory reset using the WPS method after 46061 upgrade?
4. Did you turn off anything (160mhz etc.) when manually entering the config?

Sorry to ask so many questions. I want to upgrade ASAP since my 3rd Mesh Node RT-AC88U does not work as part of the mesh ever since I updated its firmware to the latest available and am thinking this XT8 is so far behind might be the issue

Fine here, using AP mode, though. Wireless backhaul, 20 clients including computers, media streaming boxes, mobile devices (phones, laptops, and tablets). Also no USB devices or wired clients. Wired clients are on the RT-AX86U "main" router. No light bulbs, thermostats, or other IoT devices. All working well. Happy to be off 42095, might even try using ZenWiFi in router mode, now that it's all up to date *smile*.
Thanks a bunch for your reply. I asked 4 clarifying questions able. Please let me know if I should look out for anything special after updating, thank you.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!