What's new

Asus Zenwifi XT8 set up

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Reyka

New Around Here
Hello there,

I'm kind of novice here and I would like some help for my Asus Zen Wifi XT8. I just bought a pack of 2.
Can I use the wifi 6 ? I read it's used as dedicated wireless backhaul ? I unfortunatly cannot connect the 2 asus with an ethernet cable.

And also, do I have to reconnect all my devices to the Asus Zen Wifi ?
I already have a modem with my internet service provider which is connected to one Asus Zen Wifi.
I would like to turn the modem's wifi off, since my Asus is doing the job.

Thank you.

The answer to your questions is Yes. The best way is to switch your ISP modem/router in bridge mode (modem only, if possible) and use your XT8 as your only router and Wi-Fi system. It is Wi-Fi 6 capable and you have to re-connect your devices to your new system. The user manual explains the setup process clearly.

Hello there,

I'm kind of novice here and I would like some help for my Asus Zen Wifi XT8. I just bought a pack of 2.
Can I use the wifi 6 ? I read it's used as dedicated wireless backhaul ? I unfortunatly cannot connect the 2 asus with an ethernet cable.

And also, do I have to reconnect all my devices to the Asus Zen Wifi ?
I already have a modem with my internet service provider which is connected to one Asus Zen Wifi.
I would like to turn the modem's wifi off, since my Asus is doing the job.

Thank you.

Don’t you just love it when you ask a question and someone responds with RTFM?

The answer to your question is that at least one WiFi 6 (5ghz) band will be available to clients and your clients that are wifi6 (802.11ax) capable will be able to use this band. The XT8 has two WiFi 6 bands namely 5ghz-1 and 5ghz-2. If the ASUS WiFi nodes are not connected via a cable then the 5ghz-2 band is used for backhaul. You can make the second band available as well by using a LAN cable for your mesh nodes. This is all configurable as well and you can refer to the manual or online guides on how to configure it to your needs.

As for your second question, you can just configure the same wifi name (SSID) on your XT8 as what is in use on your ISP router BUT then ensure that you disable the radio or rename the SSID on your ISP router. This way you won’t have to reconnect every client and your clients will now connect to your XT8.
Alternatively you can switch to bridge mode as was suggested but that be a little more tricky to research.

Don’t you just love it when you ask a question and someone responds with RTFM?

The answer to your question is that at least one WiFi 6 (5ghz) band will be available to clients and your clients that are wifi6 (802.11ax) capable will be able to use this band. The XT8 has two WiFi 6 bands namely 5ghz-1 and 5ghz-2. If the ASUS WiFi nodes are not connected via a cable then the 5ghz-2 band is used for backhaul. You can make the second band available as well by using a LAN cable for your mesh nodes. This is all configurable as well and you can refer to the manual or online guides on how to configure it to your needs.

As for your second question, you can just configure the same wifi name (SSID) on your XT8 as what is in use on your ISP router BUT then ensure that you disable the radio or rename the SSID on your ISP router. This way you won’t have to reconnect every client and your clients will now connect to your XT8.
Alternatively you can switch to bridge mode as was suggested but that be a little more tricky to research.
Oh ok thank you. I didn't know the term since I don't know anything at all in network world.
I thought Wifi 6 was only the "networkname"5Ghz-2, and so I couldn't use it if I was wireless.
I will try to do that :)

Well I just did a research, and it seems like I can't put my modem in bridge mode. I have a Livebox 5 from Orange (France)

Well I just did a research, and it seems like I can't put my modem in bridge mode. I have a Livebox 5 from Orange (France)

Tbf all ISP modems I've had have never had the bridge mode option. So just connect the wan of your Primary XT8 to a free lan port on your ISP modem. You can forward all traffic to your XT8's WAN IP.

If you are using a lot of smart devices like amazon fire sticks and smart TVs, be sure to set 5ghz1 to the lower channels otherwise the smart devices will connect to 2.4ghz and run rubbish.