What's new

Beta ASUSWRT 386 RC2 public beta with full functions AiMesh 2.0 (continued)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi, so before I go and get the rc2-11, do I save any settings for my 86u and 68u and do I upgrade the 68u node, 86u noe before my main 86u router? Cheers

You can "dirty flash" rc2-11 over your existing firmware and leave the router settings as-is. If you run into problems however, your best bet will be a factory reset and reconfiguring the settings from scratch, without importing any of your previous settings. If you don't have any problems after "dirty flashing" the new firmware, you can run with it and no further action needed. Doesn't matter which order you do the node vs the main router. I'd recommend flashing the node first then factory resetting it, and re-adding the node after your main router has been flashed.

Just to be safe, I would take screenshots of your configuration and save them to a PC, before flashing new firmware. Also, you can export your client list to CSV from Network Map within your router. This way you'll have a reference if you need to do a factory reset w/reconfiguration of settings.

Last edited:
You can "dirty flash" rc2-11 over your existing firmware and leave the router settings as-is. If you run into problems however, your best bet will be a factory reset and reconfiguring the settings from scratch, without importing any of your previous settings. If you don't have any problems after "dirty flashing" the new firmware, you can run with it and no further action needed.
Dirty flash?

Hi, so before I go and get the rc2-11, do I save any settings for my 86u and 68u and do I upgrade the 68u node, 86u noe before my main 86u router? Cheers

To upgrade firmware:
Run WinMD5 to verify downloaded file MD5 checksum value.
- Upload node(s)
- Upload router
- Stop here for dirty upgrade
- Remove/eject any USB storage
- Remove node(s) to automatically reset
- WebUI Restore w/Initialize router to reset
- Configure router from scratch
- Wait for the network to settle
- Power OFF/ON router and test WAN port security*
- Mount and scan any USB storage

OE

Last edited:
To upgrade firmware:
Run WinMD5 to verify downloaded file MD5 checksum value.
- Upload node(s)
- Upload router
- Stop here for dirty upgrade
- Remove/eject any USB storage
- Remove node(s) to automatically reset
- WebUI Restore w/Initialize router to reset
- Configure router from scratch
- Wait for the network to settle
- Power OFF/ON router and test WAN port security*
- Mount and scan any USB storage

OE
WebUi to restore with initialize router to reset? Also is it just user preference to dirty upgrade or is it a must to do clean install?

WebUi to restore with initialize router to reset? Also is it just user preference to dirty upgrade or is it a must to do clean install?

WebUI Restore w/Initialize to reset:

1613263008352.png

You can dirty upgrade and see what happens, or clean install and be done with it. Generally speaking, a dirty upgrade should be fine unless the firmware changes a lot, like from 384 to 386. But in this era of rolling AiMesh development, I prefer to clean install to get straight to the real troubleshooting. It seems like whenever I do a dirty upgrade, something odd occurs. For instance, my dirty upgrade to RC2-11 beta did not enable the CPU wait state until I performed a reset... but not everyone had that problem. So yeah, reset and be done with the elective weird stuff.

OE

Last edited:
Noticed with RC2-11 you need to do a router/mesh firmware factory reset. At first I thought something was wrong with my routers. Everything is functioning like it should after cleaning out old firmware cobwebs. Latest beta firmware seems to be very stable.

WebUI Restore w/Initialize to reset:

View attachment 30723

You can dirty upgrade and see what happens, or clean install and be done with it. Generally speaking, a dirty upgrade should be fine unless the firmware changes a lot, like from 384 to 386. But in this era of rolling AiMesh development, I prefer to clean install to get straight to the real troubleshooting. It seems like whenever I do a dirty upgrade, something odd occurs. For instance, my dirty upgrade to RC2-11 beta did not enable the CPU wait state until I performed a reset... but not everyone had that problem. So yeah, reset and be done with the elective weird stuff.

OE
Just did the dirty deed and so far fingers crossed. I will have to see what the upgrade has different to check though otherwise, everything appears fine. thanks for your assistance both of you @ForkWNY

Just did the dirty deed and so far fingers crossed. I will have to see what the upgrade has different to check though otherwise, everything appears fine. thanks for your assistance both of you @ForkWNY

Here's the rub... when an issue presents, you'll reset hoping to fix it... but it won't. And so you've reset anyway! :)

OE

not that i used it but the speedtest option has gone?

Still here under Adaptive QoS:

View attachment 30750

OE
wow, i missed that for looking!!, well it shows 529 download and 22 upload although when i use the website its 204 download and 21 upload so dont know what the hell thats about. I used the same server as well to compare the 2.oh well

wow, i missed that for looking!!, well it shows 529 download and 22 upload although when i use the website its 204 download and 21 upload so dont know what the hell thats about. I used the same server as well to compare the 2.oh well

Another network/client/browser puzzle to solve!

OE

when i use the website its 204 download and 21 upload so dont know what the hell thats about. I used the same server as well to compare the 2.oh well
tested using wifi connection ?

use cable for test ;)
I am not certain how to do that. I have chromebooks, asus router and cable modem so can I ask how do I test using cable? Thanks

I am not certain how to do that. I have chromebooks, asus router and cable modem so can I ask how do I test using cable? Thanks
if your Chromebook has no RJ45 connection port you can try this

UGREEN Ethernet Adapter USB 3.0 Network Gigabit Adapter USB 3 RJ45 Converter Computer LAN Adaptor Support 1000Mbps Compatible with MacBook, Nintendo Switch, PC, Surface Laptop, Mi Box​

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00MYTSN18/?tag=smallncom-21

if your Chromebook has no RJ45 connection port you can try this

UGREEN Ethernet Adapter USB 3.0 Network Gigabit Adapter USB 3 RJ45 Converter Computer LAN Adaptor Support 1000Mbps Compatible with MacBook, Nintendo Switch, PC, Surface Laptop, Mi Box​

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00MYTSN18/?tag=smallncom-21
Cheers but I don't want to purchase anything right now. What's puzzling is that the speedtest on the router gives me over 500 recorded but when I go directly to speedtest.net website it cuts it down to just over 200.

Cheers but I don't want to purchase anything right now. What's puzzling is that the speedtest on the router gives me over 500 recorded but when I go directly to speedtest.net website it cuts it down to just over 200.
The speed of your WiFi connection to the router is the bottleneck in this case. What speed shows on the wireless log page for your client?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!