What's new

Beta ASUSWRT 386 RC2 public beta with full functions AiMesh 2.0 (continued)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RT-AC88U here with 3.0.0.4.386.41535 , WiFi (AP). General drop in wifi performance under some channel.
For example my Google nest hub max will be super slow on some channels. For the moment Channel 6 seems goods. Before it was working on different one no problems.
Also using Wifi N only settings make it super slow. has to put it on auto. Never had to do that before.
This is just 1 example.
Having some odd issues with my surface 3 pro tablet too. On somme channel the ping is very high. On channel 6 its +-1ms.
Like I said, with previous firmware I didn't have such issues.
So in general, Wifi is less stable for me.

Router has been factory + hard reset. Settings entered manually (not restored from a backup)

Why would you connect to 2.4GHz? Devices are that far from router? You may need to extend your network rather than use 2.4GHz.
You should start using a wifi analyzer and see how crowded 2.4 is. In most cases that's the simple and best explanation why speed is bad on 2.4GHz.

Why would you connect to 2.4GHz? Devices are that far from router? You may need to extend your network rather than use 2.4GHz.
You should start using a wifi analyzer and see how crowded 2.4 is. In most cases that's the simple and best explanation why speed is bad on 2.4GHz.
Speed is bad only with this new firmware.
And I did use wifi analyser and it's not crowded in my area.
To be able to use 5ghz everywhere I would need an additionally AP.

Hoping someone can help me with this...

I’m running the 9.0.0.4.386_41535 beta on my primary GT-AX11000 router, as well as on two ZenWifi XT8 nodes. ASUS just released a new firmware update for the GT-AX11000 (3.0.0.4.386.41700), but they have released no new firmware for the ZenWifi XT8s since September.

So does this new firmware for the AX11000 (41700) supersede the current beta (41535), and would anyone please comment on whether you would proceed with the upgrade, even though the XT8 nodes will remain on the 41535 beta? Much appreciated!

If you're experiencing any outstanding issues with your current setup, I would upgrade without a second thought. The new firmware is supposed to fix things, let's hope it does.

And to give it the chance to show the best it can do, make sure to do a full reset of the entire network (if needed). If just flashing the new firmware and a few reboots of the entire network solve the issues for you, even better. :)

So does this new firmware for the AX11000 (41700) supersede the current beta (41535), and would anyone please comment on whether you would proceed with the upgrade, even though the XT8 nodes will remain on the 41535 beta? Much appreciated!

Yes, I believe the only difference in version numbers is the leading 3 for released and 9 for beta. Given your devices are on the latest AiMesh 2.0 beta and you have the option now to take the router to released AiMesh 2.0 firmware, I would try that. The nodes will probably go along for the ride just fine.

OE

just got my ax86u and currently used as aimesh node (41535). Main router is ac88u also on 41535. The 2.5g port on the ax86 stopped functioning as a lan port (not even at 1g speed). My current connection: ont/modem ---> ac88u ---> 1g switch ---> wan port of ax86u ----> 2.5g port of ax86u ---> 1g switch ----> PC / NAS. Both the PC and NAS won't connect to internet(it connects for like half a minute then dropped). Things are working ok if I switch to use the other 1g lan ports on the ax86u.

Hoping someone can help me with this...

I’m running the 9.0.0.4.386_41535 beta on my primary GT-AX11000 router, as well as on two ZenWifi XT8 nodes. ASUS just released a new firmware update for the GT-AX11000 (3.0.0.4.386.41700), but they have released no new firmware for the ZenWifi XT8s since September.

I'm running that exact configuration, AX11000 on 3.0.0.4.386.41700 and two XT8 nodes on 9.0.0.4.386_41535. Running without issue since upgrading the AX11000 yesterday. All seems good at the moment.

@ASUSWRT_2020 as your conducting a public beta it would be nice if you could supply some public timelines on when you expect each model of your router line up to get the next release instead of having users guessing, this would add assurance to the beta by future releases, say if what ever version your testing now 388-1 and you expect 388-2 next month and the release candidate in 2 months time, then public in 3 months, that way if there’s a showstopper bug in 388-1 I know 388-2 is only a few days away so will install 388-1 and wait for 388-2 and help with 388-1 in the meantime

Is the XT8 386.26044 firmware newer than the 386-RC9? Or is 386.26044 the release of AiMesh 2.0 firmware for XT8?

@ASUSWRT_2020 - seems like FW updates started trickling for many routers; I hope AX86u is coming too!

It was said early on that the router webUI will not Check/Update beta firmware to released firmware. You must upload this manually yourself. I'm not sure if that has changed.

OE

Last edited:
@ASUSWRT_2020 as your conducting a public beta it would be nice if you could supply some public timelines on when you expect each model of your router line up to get the next release instead of having users guessing, this would add assurance to the beta by future releases, say if what ever version your testing now 388-1 and you expect 388-2 next month and the release candidate in 2 months time, then public in 3 months, that way if there’s a showstopper bug in 388-1 I know 388-2 is only a few days away so will install 388-1 and wait for 388-2 and help with 388-1 in the meantime

Here is the current beta timeline:

Beta - ASUSWRT 386 RC2 public beta with full functions AiMesh 2.0 | Page 10 | SmallNetBuilder Forums (snbforums.com)

With a little imagination, you'll know what to expect. If it's too stressful for you, you might want to stick with released firmware, but the timeline is generally the same... you have to wait for it.

OE

I'm running that exact configuration, AX11000 on 3.0.0.4.386.41700 and two XT8 nodes on 9.0.0.4.386_41535. Running without issue since upgrading the AX11000 yesterday. All seems good at the moment.
Upon the suggestions of L&LD and OzarkEdge I too upgraded my AX11000 to the latest firmware last night, and it’s also playing with my ZenWifi XT8s on the most recent beta just fine, thank you!

I’m also grateful to you for offering me the reassurance, on some intersecting plane of guilt and fear of financial peril, that someone else was driven to splurge for this outrageously indulgent combination of network devices as well

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!