What's new

Beta ASUSWRT 386 RC2 public beta with full functions AiMesh 2.0 (continued)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

apologies to forum.

I AM able to add the RP-AC55. I had to turn on WPS on the main router to do so. I had WPS for security.

So the RP-AC55 is acting now as a Aimesh node. Not sure though about the performance as connection quality is showing as weak and it's quite close to the main router. Will need to let it bake for a while.

From the research I have done before. I had seen that

1) If mixing Asus Merlin and Asus stock, then ensure that Asus merlin is running on the master Aimesh node. Which I have done

at this point I guess the challenge is that the RP-AC55 on the older firmware is AiMesh 1.0

some questions

1) Can I add the RP-AC55 just as a repeater? Should it have the same SID or different?
2) Do I need to have WPS on in order to add it as a AiMesh node? Is there a different way using WPS

An AiMesh node needs to be in a factory default reset state. And WPS needs to be enabled on the AiMesh router. And all radios need to be broadcasting.

1. You don't add a repeater like you would add an AiMesh node to an AiMesh system... you install a repeater independently to repeat some WiFi signal.

2. Yes, WPS needs to be ON on the main router. It will be ON on the reset node.

OE

Yes, WPS needs to be turned on before you can add an AiMesh node. Try again with this change. And once it's connected, be sure to turn off WPS.

Are the router and RP-AC55 in the same room when you're attempting to join it to the network?

Are you able to wire it (temporarily) to get it to join?

Have you tried resetting it (a few times in a row), leaving it powered down for at least 20 minutes to an hour, and trying again?

Can you flash the same firmware to it again, after you have reset it?

Hello,
I'd like to test a beta 386 for Lyra mini MAP-AC1300
Is there anyone that could help me in retrieving the file?
Thank you

Thank you
There should be a
Lyra series 386 RC2 public beta FW v9.0.0.4_386_41615-g7c2264e
as stated here:
ANyway, glad to hear that development is still going on

Minor issue, but when changing vector icons in the web UI, icons still stays as stock on ASUS app. When changing in the app, it affects the web UI, but loose transparency, e.g. black background.

Lyra series 386 RC2 public beta FW v9.0.0.4_386_41615-g7c2264e

I see you were able to register in 52asus.com, could you share the firmware please. Because, I can't.

apologies to forum.

I AM able to add the RP-AC55. I had to turn on WPS on the main router to do so. I had WPS for security.

So the RP-AC55 is acting now as a Aimesh node. Not sure though about the performance as connection quality is showing as weak and it's quite close to the main router. Will need to let it bake for a while.
So post day 1, the connection quality will sometimes say Ok and sometimes say Great.
It does take a while to settle.

As long as it is green, I guess I am ok.

@ASUSWRT_2020

Will RP-AC55 be moved to 386.1 too? Thanks.

Also sorry all - where do I open up an official support ticket with Asus to get an answer for this question?

I was working off of this page

Using a RP-AC55 is it possible to set which wireless backhaul to use? Right now the device is using 2.4Ghz as backhaul and I would like to set it to use 5Ghz as backhaul understanding that the 5Gz would be shared between front haul and backhaul

RT-AC86U with RT-AC68U node. Node (RT-AC68U) is configured with HDD as dlna (upnp media) server which works fine due to Asus defaulting any mounted drive for the directory scanning (/mnt), however please note there is no way to refine where directory scanning takes place in other words there is no way to set a manual media server path on the node. Also there is no way to spin down a HDD off the node.

To complete my network setup so you know why I have an HDD on the node, I have a jump drive running scripts and another HDD performing network backups off the RT-AC86U.

Using a RP-AC55 is it possible to set which wireless backhaul to use? Right now the device is using 2.4Ghz as backhaul and I would like to set it to use 5Ghz as backhaul understanding that the 5Gz would be shared between front haul and backhaul

It's not possible to set it. Wireless it always starts with the 2.4GHz backhaul connect and it usually switches to the 5GHz band after a few sec/min and stays with it. Maybe it depends on the signal strength..?

I read a few times that the RP-AC55 does not play nice with the higher 5GHz channels - above channel 64. I use channel 36 and set fixed channels and width for both bands (2.4G -> CH1, 20MHz) (5G -> CH36, 80MHz). Nothing set to automatic, otherwise if the router changes the spec it will be synced to the Node/RP - causing a wifi restart and (more) connection drops.

Ok Thanks. This is good to know about the higher 5Ghz channels

I will investigate more on maybe setting the channels manually after looking around the spectrum.

Official firmware doesn't play nice (does it ever)? :)

@L&LD...if the Merlin build fully supported my main AP Router, I'd be on it in a heart-beat. I know the ROG-specific features are still being worked on (based on 386.1 being available for the GT-AC2900, with some ROG features supported), maybe some day, but probably not. I do use some of the ROG features, sparingly. Last time I'll likely buy a ROG router though.

Had a question...regarding the AiMesh nodes I'm using (RT-AC68U and RT-AC86U), is there an advantage bumping those AiMesh nodes to Merlin 386.1 builds, or would you personally stick with the official firmware since the main router (GT-AC5300) is stuck permanently on official firmware?

Last edited:
Had a question...regarding the AiMesh nodes I'm using (RT-AC68U and RT-AC86U), is there an advantage bumping those AiMesh nodes to Merlin 386.1 builds, or would you personally stick with the official firmware since the main router (GT-AC5300) is stuck permanently on official firmware?

I'd stick with Asuswrt. AiMesh is closed-source... same code in Asuswrt and Asuswrt-Merlin.

OE

@ForkWNY if the RMerlin compatible nodes are wired (capable) to the main router and were the only (or only important) ones running the Wi-Fi in the home I would flash them to 386.1_0 release final.

Then I would make the RT-AC86U the 'main' router via 'AiMesh Router in AP mode' and from this router, I would connect the RT-AC68U as a node.

ASUS Wireless Router RT-AX95Q - Operation Mode

Otherwise, if you need all your nodes to adequately saturate your home with their wireless signals, I would agree with @OzarkEdge. Because when the RMerlin and stock Asus codebases diverge (even if only for a few days/weeks) and issues arise, you'll just have set yourself up for troubles trying to find/put everything back to a stable state again.

@L&LD...if the Merlin build fully supported my main AP Router, I'd be on it in a heart-beat. I know the ROG-specific features are still being worked on (based on 386.1 being available for the GT-AC2900, with some ROG features supported), maybe some day, but probably not. I do use some of the ROG features, sparingly. Last time I'll likely buy a ROG router though.

I find Merlin is faster at patching and of course there is OpenVPN etc. which floats my boat so then I guess the same question to you is FIRST WHY do you need Merlin? because if no compelling reason other than to say hey i am using Merlin then why not stick with 386.1 official?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!