What's new

Beta ASUSWRT 386 RC2 public beta with full functions AiMesh 2.0 (continued)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The speed of your WiFi connection to the router is the bottleneck in this case. What speed shows on the wireless log page for your client?
This you mean?

Attachments

• PHOTO_20210215_210736.jpg
    PHOTO_20210215_210736.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 178
speedtests over wifi are not reliable.

the one i posted can also use the type c connection instead of usb by the same seller exactly what you need to test n a chromebook.

Your issue without testing Ethernet is at a brick wall.

Your issue right now from my point of view is to do with your chromebook and not the router.

the one i posted can also use the type c connection instead of usb by the same seller exactly what you need to test n a chromebook.

Your issue right now from my point of view is to do with your chromebook and not the router.
So just so I understand things, using the speedtest tab on my router which now just did a 607 download and 22 upload, isn't my issue. It's when I go to speedtest.net (same as my tab) and use that I get just over 200 which indicates my chromebook might have issues? Thanks

This you mean?

you need type this into the search box or navigate to the device connections your self

network connections
right click the wifi thats active
then press status

does the speed link show as 100 or 1000?

you need type this into the search box or navigate to the device connections your self

network connections
right click the wifi thats active
then press status

does the speed link show as 100 or 1000?
Don't have status option on chromebook

Don't have status option on chromebook
right click the wifi icon int he bottom right corner
press open network
scroll down a little and press change adapter options

Nope, I have ip address then advanced, network and proxy. The only thing I do see which is greyed out is connection type which says direct internet connection

Cheers but I don't want to purchase anything right now. What's puzzling is that the speedtest on the router gives me over 500 recorded but when I go directly to speedtest.net website it cuts it down to just over 200.
Router is connected to Your ISP by cable (1000mbit/s). Do you understand now ?

Gotcha, so my chromebook is basically not able to get the same numbers as it must be maxxed out.

So just so I understand things, using the speedtest tab on my router which now just did a 607 download and 22 upload, isn't my issue. It's when I go to speedtest.net (same as my tab) and use that I get just over 200 which indicates my chromebook might have issues? Thanks
My wifes Asus chromebook has very weak wifi, I tried swapping the wifi card to an Intel ax200, but chromebooks are locked down so much that its not possible - I would have returned it if i had noticed but I didn't as its mainly used quite near a router node - As your CB probably has no ethernet, and the speed test tab on you router may be cpu limited if you have a fast connection you may be better off testing your internet with another wired device.

I’m not sure I’m clear on whether both of you are on the same page about the specific speed test in question here, so if I’m mistaken please tell me to get lost and to mind my own business!

But I just wanted to add that although I agree with your take on the unreliability of conventional speed tests such as Ookla’s (especially when performed via a wireless connection), the integrated speed test in the QOS menu of the ASUS firmware measures the speeds achieved by the router internally via its ISP connection. The device or connection you are using to access the router GUI has no bearing on those results.

Hi! How are you? I have a question... Let's see if what i want to do is possible xD! I have 2 AX11000 in AiMesh mode, main router have 2 ISP connections in dual wan (load balancer), using wan port and lan port 1 , 1st connection is 1Gbps and the second one is 600mbps, using the internal speedtest from the router i get 1.400 - 1.500mbps speeds... Until that we are good... The node have ethernet backhaul (wan port) and my laptop (Alienware 17R5) is connected to the node using ethernet cable (lan port 1) and i get 1gbps (900mbps highs) because that's the max speed that the stock ethernet adapter in my laptop can handle and the 1gb port in the node.. right? So... What if i use a USB-C 2.5gb ethernet adapter? Can i get more than 1gbps using the 2.5g port in the node? Then how do i activate that port to be used as a wan port? Or to get that 2.5gbps (my 1.400 mbps speed) i will need to connect directly to the main router because there is no way to send the full speed to the node (lets say through the 2.5gb port) and then that port will be already in use by the backhaul and no 2.5gb port to use to my laptop... Im i missing something? If there is a way to get more speed from ethernet using the node (how?), that will be great! if the only options is to connect to the main router then how (only for testing xD, because is too far away from my laptop's room to make it permanent)? Thanks in advance!

Hi! How are you? I have a question... Let's see if what i want to do is possible xD! I have 2 AX11000 in AiMesh mode, main router have 2 ISP connections in dual wan (load balancer), using wan port and lan port 1 , 1st connection is 1Gbps and the second one is 600mbps, using the internal speedtest from the router i get 1.400 - 1.500mbps speeds... Until that we are good... The node have ethernet backhaul (wan port) and my laptop (Alienware 17R5) is connected to the node using ethernet cable (lan port 1) and i get 1gbps (900mbps highs) because that's the max speed that the stock ethernet adapter in my laptop can handle and the 1gb port in the node.. right? So... What if i use a USB-C 2.5gb ethernet adapter? Can i get more than 1gbps using the 2.5g port in the node? Then how do i activate that port to be used as a wan port? Or to get that 2.5gbps (my 1.400 mbps speed) i will need to connect directly to the main router because there is no way to send the full speed to the node (lets say through the 2.5gb port) and then that port will be already in use by the backhaul and no 2.5gb port to use to my laptop... Im i missing something? If there is a way to get more speed from ethernet using the node (how?), that will be great! if the only options is to connect to the main router then how (only for testing xD, because is too far away from my laptop's room to make it permanent)? Thanks in advance!

Wire the AiMesh with the 2.5 Gbps ports. If you can't do that, then you're done.

OE

You'll need a 2.5 Gbps switch to get more 2.5 Gbps ports.

I just upgraded my RT-AC86U to the beta firmware (letsencrypt wasn't working on the 384 firmware). Its running great, but checking CPU temp its right around 80C. Idid not do a reset, just a straight upgrade. Should I go through a reset to keep the CPU running cooler?

Wire the AiMesh with the 2.5 Gbps ports. If you can't do that, then you're done.

OE
Just thought about it today and did it! Now how to send more than 1gbps from node to laptop? Because now the 2.5gbps port is in in use as the backhaul.

You'll need a 2.5 Gbps switch to get more 2.5 Gbps ports.

Yeah I was thinking about that... If that's the only option I will try it, so the switch will between the 2 routers right? Then 1 ethernet to 2.5gb port on both Ax11000 and into switch and from switch i will use 1 2.5gb port to send to my laptop right?

I just upgraded my RT-AC86U to the beta firmware (letsencrypt wasn't working on the 384 firmware). Its running great, but checking CPU temp its right around 80C. Idid not do a reset, just a straight upgrade. Should I go through a reset to keep the CPU running cooler?

For latest beta RC2-11 41994, if the SSH command pwr show reports the CPU wait state enabled, then you are done. Otherwise, reset the firmware.

OE

For latest beta RC2-11 41994, if the SSH command pwr show reports the CPU wait state enabled, then you are done. Otherwise, reset the firmware.

OE
I just checked and CPU wait is disabled. SO di I just press the reset button on the router and reconfigure when it boots back up?

I just checked and CPU wait is disabled. SO di I just press the reset button on the router and reconfigure when it boots back up?

Follow the steps for resetting to factory default on your 86U.

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset - Method 2 | Official Support | ASUS Global

If you can login to the 86U, resetting through the Web GUI is the easiest method and doesn't involve holding any buttons down or power cycling. Otherwise, as the linked article outlines, you can power it off, then hold down the WPS button, and power it on with the WPS button held down until the power light goes off. Let it reboot, and you're done. Reconfigure by manually entering in your router settings through the web UI.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!