What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.374.32 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hmmm...using this version of firmware and am seeing the following messages in my router's log. I don't have an AP, just the rt-n66u router doing routing and wireless. I do have a WiFi adapter for my Verizon Network Extender, though, a Netgear WNCE2001:

Oct 1 01:12:16 kernel: eth1: received packet with own address as source address
Oct 1 01:58:16 kernel: eth1: received packet with own address as source address
Oct 1 03:20:16 kernel: eth1: received packet with own address as source address
Oct 1 03:41:08 kernel: eth1: received packet with own address as source address
Oct 1 05:37:13 kernel: eth1: received packet with own address as source address
Oct 1 06:24:57 kernel: eth1: received packet with own address as source address
Oct 1 06:26:43 kernel: eth1: received packet with own address as source address
Oct 1 07:38:59 kernel: eth1: received packet with own address as source address
Oct 1 08:28:53 kernel: eth1: received packet with own address as source address
Oct 1 10:20:55 kernel: eth1: received packet with own address as source address
Oct 1 11:53:02 kernel: eth1: received packet with own address as source address

Any ideas on what might be causing this? I've had these before in smaller quantities, this is a little disturbing.

One thing I would check is for any network device being connected twice to the network (for example, a laptop connected both over Ethernet and wireless at the same time).

One thing I would check is for any network device being connected twice to the network (for example, a laptop connected both over Ethernet and wireless at the same time).

Good thought, thanks. Unfortunately, that's not the case. I only have one laptop and both wireless interfaces are disabled at the moment.

***** Update: just flashed back to 270.26b to see if the same problem is there. If so, I may try replacing the WNCE2001 wireless bridge and see if that's the problem.

Last edited:
Just bought rt-ac66u and I'm satisfied with the purchace. Running Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.374.32 and I'm satisfied to the firmware and to the openvpn feature, thank you Merlin.

I have a small problem anyways, the router is connected to dlink dsl-320b modem which is working in bridged mode and no dhcp in dsl-320b. Dsl-320b default network is 192.168.1.1. Which is the same as rt-ac66u, I have disabled the dsl-320b dhcp and changed the asus router network to 192.168.0.x.
Everything is working fine but, after some period of time the external wan access to the routers openvpn and another service which is port forwarded stops. It is just like the router or dsl modem would go to sleep mode with the internet connection.

Everything works ok, but after a while there just is not anymore external connection to my home network. And when somebody in my home starts to use internet the external access again becomes functional. Weird, just like some sleep mode.

The dsl modem is bridged llc connection, no dhcp, no qos, no firewall, no nat. Just pure adsl modem function on.

The router gets right external ipaddress etc, no qos no any extra services being used in router. I have only opened one port for on service and setup openvpn to the router. Otherwise it is all default settings.

Is there some stupid i.e. energy saving mode on, or what might be the problem :confused: is the only option to fix this set a cronjob to ping something extrenal to avoid "sleep mode" :mad:

And also router firewall is on and ddos attack is on and I would prefer this way. Openvpn firewall automatic..

^^ I would suggest you clear your nvram and install RT-N66U_3.0.0.4.270.24 firmware for openvpn and then report back if your problem is solved.

Regards

Make sure "Idle Disconnect Time in seconds: Disconnect after time of inactivity" is set to 0. Otherwise, maybe your ISP is somehow automatically closing down your connection after a certain period of inactivity (Asuswrt has no keep-alive option unlike some other routers). Check the System Log to see if there is any additional details.

There is no power management option on the router.

^^ I would suggest you clear your nvram and install RT-N66U_3.0.0.4.270.24 firmware for openvpn and then report back if your problem is solved.

Why? 270.24 is way old. There's been a ton of fixes since that version.

Please read previous post for reasons. I also could not get openvpn to perform correctly with this firmware version. I could get no response to my problems so that is what I have done.

Regards

Make sure "Idle Disconnect Time in seconds: Disconnect after time of inactivity" is set to 0. Otherwise, maybe your ISP is somehow automatically closing down your connection after a certain period of inactivity (Asuswrt has no keep-alive option unlike some other routers). Check the System Log to see if there is any additional details.

There is no power management option on the router.

Hmm, that option seems to be available if I select PPPoE or PPTP type WAN connection. I have mine selected as automatic. In my country there is not PPPoE been used for a long time, I don't know anything about PPTP. But I know that my connection should be Bridged RFC 2684 / RFC 1483 without any authentication, which is selected on the DSL modem settings. And in the asus router the WAN connection setting is set to automatic.
I used to have previously Netgear dgnd3700 adsl modem with wifi router, which did not "idle" the connection. So it should not be any ISP type of problem. Either the DSL modem or the router.

Before asking I searched from internet and checked the logs from both modem and router and did not see anything regarding the issue. Log activity is silent when the connection is "silent". When the connection is "silent" the asus router internet led and the modems internet light is static. Which I believe means the connection is "open" but there is no WAN network activity. If I start doing some activity i.e. open pc and make some traffic, the leds start to flash showing some activity. And this is when the vpn server and another service from WAN becomes available again.

It might be problem with the dsl modem too, it's hard to say which one it is because I purchased these together. There is not too many settings in the D-link dsl-320b modem, it's a pretty straight forward modem.

We'll if I don't find a solution, crontab is always an option...

Please read previous post for reasons. I also could not get openvpn to perform correctly with this firmware version. I could get no response to my problems so that is what I have done.

No one else so far reported any similar issue, and there are quite a lot of users using the OpenVPN client. Since something as basic as stopping the client fails or erasing settings from the webui for you, I would suspect a browser issue on your side.

Hmm, that option seems to be available if I select PPPoE or PPTP type WAN connection. I have mine selected as automatic. In my country there is not PPPoE been used for a long time, I don't know anything about PPTP. But I know that my connection should be Bridged RFC 2684 / RFC 1483 without any authentication, which is selected on the DSL modem settings. And in the asus router the WAN connection setting is set to automatic.

Ok, then disregard the disconnection bit. PPPoE (and PPTP) are session-based, which is why they also carry an automatic reconnection feature.

In your particular case, I would check the Ethernet cable between the modem and the router.

It might be problem with the dsl modem too, it's hard to say which one it is because I purchased these together. There is not too many settings in the D-link dsl-320b modem, it's a pretty straight forward modem.

I never played with DLink's DSL modems, so I don't know how reliable they are in general. Having had so many bad experiences with my own customers back when we were selling DLink routers, I haven't touched their products in recent years.

For ADSL2+, we use Speedstream (those tend to die after 3-5 years however, where they start either randomly rebooting, or failing to boot altogether), Speedtouch ST516v6 and Zyxel P660-R (we recently switched to these as the Speedtouch was no longer available from our suppliers).

No one else so far reported any similar issue, and there are quite a lot of users using the OpenVPN client. Since something as basic as stopping the client fails or erasing settings from the webui for you, I would suspect a browser issue on your side.

Tried IE and chrome same result? In windows 8 64 bit. Must be issue with both bowsers? Reverted back to old firmware and browsers works again.

Regards

Ok, then disregard the disconnection bit. PPPoE (and PPTP) are session-based, which is why they also carry an automatic reconnection feature.

In your particular case, I would check the Ethernet cable between the modem and the router.

I never played with DLink's DSL modems, so I don't know how reliable they are in general. Having had so many bad experiences with my own customers back when we were selling DLink routers, I haven't touched their products in recent years.

For ADSL2+, we use Speedstream (those tend to die after 3-5 years however, where they start either randomly rebooting, or failing to boot altogether), Speedtouch ST516v6 and Zyxel P660-R (we recently switched to these as the Speedtouch was no longer available from our suppliers).

I have a linux box inside my home network allways on, so it was easy to set it ping google every half an hour with 4 packets, seems to do the "keep alive" trick :cool:
problem solved for know, thanks anyways...

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!