What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.374.34 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Only 30MB's over lan

Was working fine yesterday....but now I am only getting about 30MB's transfer speed to all my wired devices...

What is causing this? It has never done this on stock firmware.

ac66u, I load the fw as normal, but for some reason it was not stable anymore.
I went from 374.33 to 374.34, and as soon as my wan pppoe would connect it rebooted the ac66u.
After a few attempts to find anything in the log I did a factory reset. Only thing what seemed strange was the log:
pppd[425]: Remote message: duplicate address detected
pppd[425]: PAP authentication failed
pppd[425]: Connection terminated

After I re-input all settings, it was not rebooting anymore..

Except for ipv6, not working at all.
First I noticed it was set to interface "Ethernet" but I did set "PPP"
Rest is exacly same as I configured in 374.33
No ipv6 connection at all.
I checked the logs and found a lot of these:
kernel: DROP <4>DROPIN=br0 OUT=ppp0 <1>SRC="MY PC ADRRESS" DST=2001:0470:0001:0018:0000:0000:0000:0119 <1>LEN=72 TC=0 HOPLIMIT=63 FLOWLBL=0 PROTO=TCP <1>SPT=55615 DPT=80 SEQ=3940942160 ACK=0 WINDOW=8192 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0 OPT (020405A00103030201010402)
Looks like the firewall is blocking my ipv6 for some reason...

I reverted, to 374.33, ipv6 is working normal, no more logs of pppd as well...

Last edited:
Except for ipv6, not working at all.
First I noticed it was set to interface "Ethernet" but I did set "PPP"
Rest is exacly same as I configured in 374.33
No ipv6 connection at all.
I checked the logs and found a lot of these:
kernel: DROP <4>DROPIN=br0 OUT=ppp0 <1>SRC="MY PC ADRRESS" DST=2001:0470:0001:0018:0000:0000:0000:0119 <1>LEN=72 TC=0 HOPLIMIT=63 FLOWLBL=0 PROTO=TCP <1>SPT=55615 DPT=80 SEQ=3940942160 ACK=0 WINDOW=8192 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0 OPT (020405A00103030201010402)
Looks like the firewall is blocking my ipv6 for some reason...

I reverted, to 374.33, ipv6 is working normal, no more logs of pppd as well...

This probably won't help you, but my PPPoE internet connection and 6rd tunnel works great with N66U and .34 firmware.

Try Netalyzr.

http://netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/

After setting btn_led_mode to 1, nothing seems to change when the router restarts after toggling the switch. Still says 800MHz both ways and temps stay about the same.

Please take the time to read what I posted about this feature in this thread. Everything you are mentionning here was already explained, including the fact that the Sysinfo page will not report the increase clock rate.

On the lower end of the Tools > Sysinfo page, it says this:
Code:
Network
HW acceleration	Disabled - incompatible with: IPTraffic, QoS
This doesn't seem normal. :)

What doesn't seem normal to you?

Back on the temps though: do we know what temps are safe for the wireless and cpu? My wireless both hover around 52C and CPU around 80C; was curious to test if overclocking would influence those temps or not. Going to look into a solution to cool the router; if anyone has suggestions, I'd appreciate the input!

Nobody knows the limit supported by the router, but the temperature you report are the same reported by about everyone, therefore they must be perfectly safe.

Apologies, I am using the RT-N66U.

I am still making two separate releases for the RT-N66U, including the sdk5 build which uses the old 5.100 driver from FW 374.270. There hasn't been any update from Asus to the SDK6 driver yet.

something is wrong with authorization, doesnt accept password both from wan or lan. after couple of minutes authorization works well, and after that still broke. different browsers (chrome,ie) cache cleared. on 373.33 works ok.

Asus is implementing brute force protection on the webui - this is probably what is locking you out. I guess that feature isn't working properly yet.

Was working fine yesterday....but now I am only getting about 30MB's transfer speed to all my wired devices...

What is causing this? It has never done this on stock firmware.

Wired to wired traffic has nothing to do with the firmware, since you are going through a plain switch in that scenario. Unless you played with MTU or Jumbo Frames, the firmware has no impact on wired performance.

Please take the time to read what I posted about this feature in this thread. Everything you are mentionning here was already explained, including the fact that the Sysinfo page will not report the increase clock rate.

What doesn't seem normal to you?

Nobody knows the limit supported by the router, but the temperature you report are the same reported by about everyone, therefore they must be perfectly safe.

Sorry, I must have missed some of those reading through! Thank you for answering.

Wired to wired traffic has nothing to do with the firmware, since you are going through a plain switch in that scenario. Unless you played with MTU or Jumbo Frames, the firmware has no impact on wired performance.

Nope...all i did was flash your firmware yesterday...used it for a few hours...and when i got back 12 hours or so later....all devices would only transfer files to each other at about 30MBs. I rebooted the router...and the computers...and it was back to normal...for a few hours....then back to 30MB's....flashed stock back....running fine the last few hours..did not change any settings...

I am transferring about 6tb worth of data around to my NAS system....so lots of data activity. I do this 1x every month....and the only time I have had the transfer stay capped like that is with your firmware. I have seen other people posting about experiencing it.

I don't know what else to say.

And about jumbo frames....I surmise it is better for performance to have it enabled...but i can't really tell any difference...things actuly seem smoother with them disabled....and yes...every one of my NICS have jumbo frame options for ~4000 or ~9000.

Last edited:
I am transferring about 6tb worth of data around to my NAS system....so lots of data activity. I do this 1x every month....and the only time I have had the transfer stay capped like that is with your firmware. I have seen other people posting about experiencing it.

First time I see any report of issues transferring from wired to wired with my firmware (or Asus's), beside cases where people were using poor Ethernet cables, preventing gigabit performance from working reliably. Definitely not related to the firmware - it's going through a switch.

And about jumbo frames....I surmise it is better for performance to have it enabled...but i can't really tell any difference...things actuly seem smoother with them disabled....and yes...every one of my NICS have jumbo frame options for ~4000 or ~9000.

You have to make sure that everyone is set to the same frame size, otherwise you will suffer from packet fragmentation. This is why I don't recommend using Jumbo Frames, it's too much of a hassle to get it working properly, just to gain 5-7% of LAN throughput (assuming your disks aren't already the bottleneck).

First time I see any report of issues transferring from wired to wired with my firmware (or Asus's), beside cases where people were using poor Ethernet cables, preventing gigabit performance from working reliably. Definitely not related to the firmware - it's going through a switch.

You have to make sure that everyone is set to the same frame size, otherwise you will suffer from packet fragmentation. This is why I don't recommend using Jumbo Frames, it's too much of a hassle to get it working properly, just to gain 5-7% of LAN throughput (assuming your disks aren't already the bottleneck).

I am not about to go searching for the posts...but they are there...

and firmware runs switches...i have worked with switch firmware before ...

and each is set to same size...

Back on the temps though: do we know what temps are safe for the wireless and cpu? My wireless both hover around 52C and CPU around 80C; was curious to test if overclocking would influence those temps or not. Going to look into a solution to cool the router; if anyone has suggestions, I'd appreciate the input!

Your temps are on high side. CPU comfort zone is below 70 degrees.
Does your router get sufficient airflow? Anything next to it generates heat?
Overclocking CPU or raising TX power on WiFi will increase the temperatures. You are already thinking about a fan - and that good, since a fan will definitely help (make sure it blows directly to the rear cover with ASUS logo). Mine is OCed and slightly higher TX on 2.4GHz, yet it is running at:
2.4 GHz: 46°C - 5 GHz: 47°C - CPU: 62°C

Last edited:
Your temps are on high side. CPU comfort zone is below 70 degrees.
Does your router get sufficient airflow? Anything next to it generates heat?
Overclocking CPU or raising TX power on WiFi will increase the temperatures. You are already thinking about a fan - and that good, since a fan will definitely help (make sure it blows directly to the rear cover with ASUS logo). Mine is OCed and slightly higher TX on 2.4GHz, yet it is running at:
2.4 GHz: 46°C - 5 GHz: 47°C - CPU: 62°C

The normal temperature for that CPU can hover around 75-80C. Both my Ac56 and AC68U were sitting at 77C a few days ago (before the autumn chill started setting in).

The SoC itself can safely reach close to 90-100C without any damage. Probably even higher if it's anything like other SoC from Broadcom.

Asus's support site is in a funny state this morning. The download page for the RT-AC68U returns a page not found. The download page for the RT-AC56U now shows the 374_306 GPL for that router, but the file is missing, and it shows a release date of August 15th. Plus, there isn't a 374_306 FW for the AC56U yet.

I think some webmaster forgot to take his coffee before going to work :)

Just check now, all links for RT-AC56U are down while there is a downloadable 374.306 GPL for RT-AC68U through the global link.

I'll push out a 374.34_2 release later tonight (they're currently cooking on my VM). This update will address the DNS-related issues with VPN, USB-related issues on AC56/AC68U, and Turbo Mode on the AC68U.

This release should hopefully be stable enough to let me focus on merging the 306 code, which will take a while.

I'll push out a 374.34_2 release later tonight (they're currently cooking on my VM). This update will address the DNS-related issues with VPN, USB-related issues on AC56/AC68U, and Turbo Mode on the AC68U.

This release should hopefully be stable enough to let me focus on merging the 306 code, which will take a while.

Merlin what about those of us that have ran the ddr upgrade utility tool...Is it safe to go back to your builds if were already running 306? I prefer the vpn config you have in your builds. Also the turbo mode sounds interesting.

Merlin what about those of us that have ran the ddr upgrade utility tool...Is it safe to go back to your builds if were already running 306? I prefer the vpn config you have in your builds. Also the turbo mode sounds interesting.

I'm not entirely sure what happens if you revert to my build. It should be safe enough to try, it could either a) still work at the new clock rate, b) downgrade to the old clock rate. Worst case scenario if it flat out fails to boot, you can always reflash 306 through Firmware Recovery mode, so it should be perfectly safe.

I haven't flashed the updated bootloader yet because I wanted to do some benchmarking before doing so - something I should have the time to do during the weekend.

374.34_2 has been uploaded to Mediafire, minus the SDK5 build (that I must compile separately). That one should appear in the next 30 mins or it's free.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!