What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.374.35 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Great as always thanks Merlin.

Surprisingly I found RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_374.35_4 quite buggy, minidlna would not work and sit in idle no matter how many reboots, 5Ghz WiFi would drop intermittently and require a reboot, and internet connection would also take a long time to reconnect. I downgraded back to RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_374.35_2 and everything seems to work well again, except in OpenVPN Client, when adding certificates in Content modification of Keys & Certificates does not seem to save no matter what. Anyone else have the same issue?

There has been zero changes outside of OpenVPN and one DualWan loadbalancing firewall change between 35_2 and 35_4.

Surprisingly I found RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_374.35_4 quite buggy, minidlna would not work and sit in idle no matter how many reboots, 5Ghz WiFi would drop intermittently and require a reboot...

I had the 5Ghz radio drop on my new RT-AC68U occasionally too. When I turned off beamforming (implicit and explicit) the problem went away. I may just be too close to the router (~4 ft).

Merlin is there anyway you can fix the PS4 packet fragmentation error when QoS is enabled?

Sent from my SCH-R530C using Tapatalk

Merlin is there anyway you can fix the PS4 packet fragmentation error when QoS is enabled?

Sent from my SCH-R530C using Tapatalk

No, as it's not really in my field of expertise, and I have no simple way to test anything there.

No, as it's not really in my field of expertise, and I have no simple way to test anything there.

No problem. I actually just tested it on my new AC68R. Seems as if it's an isolated issue with the AC66U/R.

The AC68R doesn't suffer from this issue!

:)

If you're using the RT-N66U router, be sure to flash to the "SDK5" version of the same firmware. These are in the "Experimental" sub-folder under "RT-N66U - all models". The "SDK6" versions, the ones at the top level of "RT-N66U -all models" are known to not work as well with the wireless.

I installed build 3.0.0.4.374.35_4-sdk5 tonight and the signal strength is better than the SDK6 version, both left at the default 80 mW TX power, and my various devices seem to connect to the wireless networks more quickly when I wake them up.

Initial tests on the Xbox One (5 GHz) and PS4 (2.4 GHz) showed less throughput than SDK6, but browsing on my laptop and Galaxy Nexus is noticeably faster on SDK5.

If you're using the RT-N66U router, be sure to flash to the "SDK5" version of the same firmware. These are in the "Experimental" sub-folder under "RT-N66U - all models". The "SDK6" versions, the ones at the top level of "RT-N66U -all models" are known to not work as well with the wireless.

Wanted to add the SDK5 firmwares are really the best for the N66U at least thats my experience.

Last edited:
Hardware Acceleration 3.0.0.4.374.35_4

Hardware Acceleration seems to be broke, or is not being reported correctly.

"Wanted to add the SDK5 firmwares are really the best for the N66U at least thats my experience."

Mine too. The last one that works the best for me is the .32 one that is sdk5 based.

Firmware:3.0.0.4.374.32

I'm on the stock 339 FW for AC56U with the abysmal 2.4GHz performance

does anyone know if the latest merlin build fixes this?

Hardware Acceleration seems to be broke, or is not being reported correctly.

You don't specify which router you are talking about, what type of WAN connection, or what makes you think it's broken. Makes it hard to do anything with so little info I'm afraid...

I'm on the stock 339 FW for AC56U with the abysmal 2.4GHz performance

does anyone know if the latest merlin build fixes this?

It probably won't change anything, it's the exact same wireless driver as build 339 has.

Asus has been working with a new SDK that addresses the 2.4 GHz performance issues. They haven't finalized it yet however, so the source code for it isn't available yet.

Last edited:
No problem. I actually just tested it on my new AC68R. Seems as if it's an isolated issue with the AC66U/R.

The AC68R doesn't suffer from this issue!

:)

Must be a kernel issue then, as the AC68 runs a newer kernel.

It probably won't change anything, it's the exact same wireless driver as build 339 has.

Asus has been working with a new SDK that addresses the 2.4 GHz performance issues. They haven't finalized it yet however, so the source code for it isn't available yet.
SDK 6.1 or 7? Let's hope it does make some difference on 2.4GHz performance.

If I'm running the SKD5 version of .374.32 and wanted to go to the SDK5 version of .374.35, would it make sense to do the factory reset before and after upgrading or just for the SDK6 version?

If you're talking about the 3.0.0.4.374.454 with the new SDK that was released then got pulled, it didn't fix the 2.4GHz for me...at least not for my Galaxy Nexus. I'll have to try it out with more clients but I'm not hopeful :(

Hi All,

Sorry but this firmware has been pulled from the site due to compatibility issues with some client drivers. Based on positive feedback, this firmware will still be an overall improvement for many people so I am making it available here:

RT-AC68R 3.0.0.4.374.454: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5k0elm85qzz2fon/FW_RT_AC68R_3004374454.trx

RT-AC68U 3.0.0.4.374.454: https://www.dropbox.com/s/m9ithbv2650ozo0/RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_374_454-g6ed564d.trx

For RT-AC56U owners:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/t7d24x6r6iwfnv5/RT-AC56U_3.0.0.4_374_454-g6ed564d.trx

Development is continuing to work on the firmware so please keep an eye out for the official update.

SDK 6.1 or 7? Let's hope it does make some difference on 2.4GHz performance.

If I'm running the SKD5 version of .374.32 and wanted to go to the SDK5 version of .374.35, would it make sense to do the factory reset before and after upgrading or just for the SDK6 version?

My reply was specific to the RT-AC56/RT-AC68, not the RT-N66U.

You probably won't need to do a factory default reset if going from an SDK5-based build to another SDK5-based one.

If you're talking about the 3.0.0.4.374.454 with the new SDK that was released then got pulled, it didn't fix the 2.4GHz for me...at least not for my Galaxy Nexus. I'll have to try it out with more clients but I'm not hopeful :(

If you have multiple different clients with the same issues then there's a chance your problem might be config/environment-specific and not the same issue Asus is resolving with this update. The 2.4 GHz issues only affected certain clients, not all of them. My Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 for instance are working fine here on the 2.4 GHz band.

Strange occurrence on 5ghz on version 35.2 for AC56U. If I set the Wireless Mode to N + AC and Channel Bandwidth to 80mhz, when I go to the wireless log, it shows 5ghz bandwidth as only 20mhz. Inssider confirms this. Changing the Channel Bandwdth to 40mhz shows 40mhz in the wireless log. This only seems to affect the 80mhz setting.

Strange occurrence on 5ghz on version 35.2 for AC56U. If I set the Wireless Mode to N + AC and Channel Bandwidth to 80mhz, when I go to the wireless log, it shows 5ghz bandwidth as only 20mhz. Inssider confirms this. Changing the Channel Bandwdth to 40mhz shows 40mhz in the wireless log. This only seems to affect the 80mhz setting.

I think InSSIDer doesn't support AC yet, so it doesn't understand the concept of more than 40mhz channel width. But if the wireless log shows it too then it's probably a legitimate issue.

Optware seems to be automatically disabled when Download Master is removed on ac56u, Firmware:3.0.0.4.374.35_4.
If I plug in ext2-formated usb-stick, install DM, remove DM, reboot router, login to it via ssh - ipkg command does not work. Tried two sticks already. Router also refuses to mount usb stick after reboot (from the web interface), claiming it was not unmounted properly, even though I did not touch it. Pressing the button "safely remove" before reboot also does not help :(. "USB Application" menu hangs at " Checking the disk". This also prevents daemons installed from repository to start at boot :(.
So I have to check the stick on the laptop after each reboot of the router to get it back to work. Maybe there is some trick to fix this or at least workaround, because.

here is the log from disc check by router:
Code:
usbdrv was not cleanly unmounted, check forced.

3964 inodes used (0.80%, out of 494832)
          86 non-contiguous files (2.2%)
           2 non-contiguous directories (0.1%)
             # of inodes with ind/dind/tind blocks: 86/0/0
       44551 blocks used (2.25%, out of 1976242)
           0 bad blocks
           1 large file

2658 regular files
         206 directories
           0 character device files
           0 block device files
           0 fifos
           0 links
        1091 symbolic links (1091 fast symbolic links)
           0 sockets
------------
        3955 files

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!