What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.374.38 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I do not agree with you that the em is better than SDK5.
See this post, where I have 5 dB loss, which is very noticable in my big house.

I am planning to go back to _270.26b which worked superb here when it comes to coverage.

5dB, that is a lot and not to be expected.
Did you do a "reset to defaults" after the firmware flash and manually enter your settings?
Did you used a fixed WiFi Control Channel with your tests?

374.38_2 builds are being uploaded to Mediafire. I was waiting hoping to get newer GPL code that might contain additional fixes, but looks like Asus won't be uploading it before the weekend, so I'm releasing whatever fixes I already had in the pipeline, plus a webui optimization that was initially planned for a future release.

Code:
3.0.0.4.374.38_2 (17-Jan-2014):
   - CHANGED: Improved webui responsiveness by instructing the browser 
              to cache images.
   - CHANGED: Reverted minidlna to 374.37 code.  While the latest code 
              brings some fixes, it seems to also break functionality 
              for a small number of users.  Too many low-level changes 
              from the minidlna author to make it easy to debug.
   - FIXED: Syntax error in DHCPv6 client config (Asus bug)
   - FIXED: Domain field wasn't clearly identified on the webui 
            when DDNS set to Namecheap (Saintdev)
   - FIXED: Missing carriage return in dnsmasq.conf when PPTP VPN
            is enabled, causing LAN name resolution issues.
            (Asus bug)
   - FIXED: A few unescaped quotes in the French dict would break
            some webui pages (such as the Wireless page).
            (Asus bug)
   - FIXED: OpenVPN server export would always export the first 
            server instance configuration.
   - FIXED: Bogus "Config file is missing" error logged by pptpd when 
            it was starting (Asus bug)
   - FIXED: "Advertise DNS" wasn't visible if the page was loaded and 
            "Respond to DNS" was already enabled.

This will probably be the final release in the 374.38 series. Next we'll have to wait for newer GPL code to get the finalized USB hub support amongst other things.

miniDLNA is working much better again!

strange that apparently you reverted it 37 where I had with it problems

cheers

QOS and USB3 Share Transfers

Hi

installed last firmware from ASUS - Automatic mode from Routeur - version 339,

and then Now Merlin version : 3.0.0.4.374.38_1 (better),

but with the 2 version a have an issue , i activated QOS (Default setup) and setup my bandwith
connection 16Mb UP and 1MB DL.

But , when i try to transfer file from USB3 disk to a local PC , the transfer is limited to 100KB/s,

if i deactivate QOS : 29 MB/s

Is it normal that Lan trasfer to / From USB share disk are limited by QOS ?

Or it should only be the case when Up/DL by the internet ?

Or i am wrong with the setup of bandwith, i now Put 1000Mbs , to be able my Internet queries are QOS'ed - That works fine but not sure the setup

see my topic on :

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=14735&highlight=share

Thanks

Does one need to do a full reset when going from an '-em' version to a regular version and vice-versa when the version numbers are the same?

Thanks

DrT

miniDLNA is working much better again!

strange that apparently you reverted it 37 where I had with it problems

cheers

minidlna in 374.37 is the same as in 374.36 Beta 1. It only got changed with 374.38.

but with the 2 version a have an issue , i activated QOS (Default setup) and setup my bandwith
connection 16Mb UP and 1MB DL.

But , when i try to transfer file from USB3 disk to a local PC , the transfer is limited to 100KB/s,

if i deactivate QOS : 29 MB/s

Is it normal that Lan trasfer to / From USB share disk are limited by QOS ?

Known issue, however I have never been able to debug it since I'm not that familiar with Linux's traffic classification. This will probably have to be sorted out by Asus, or any other user willing to spend a few hours digging through it.

minidlna in 374.37 is the same as in 374.36 Beta 1. It only got changed with 374.38.

I remember now, that I actually didn't test it in 37 after all, only in 36 beta as you said, so that makes sense

Last edited:
Does one need to do a full reset when going from an '-em' version to a regular version and vice-versa when the version numbers are the same?

Thanks

DrT

Shouldn't be necessary. At the firmware level, the -em build does make a few changes to wireless-related settings, so I would say it might only be recommended (but not mandatory) when going back from an -em build to the regular one if someone wanted to fully revert any change brought by the -em build.

No problem, go to the downloads on Mediafire.
Click on the "RT-N66U_All_models" and go to the "Experimental" folder.
Here you can find the .38_2-em firmware.

Let us know the results.
Thanks but the current firmware I am using now works fine. I don't care about advance features like storage, DLNA etc. As long as my wired and wireless signals stable that is all that matters.

no, been fine for me.

Great! It will be my first time with the SDK6 drivers.
Are there any issues with changing the locale to GB with this driver?

Thanks

DrT

Try asking in the thread dedicated to LAG in this sub-forum, KAD might be able to help you since this isn't a feature of the firmware itself.
I Believe I have seen one where You and KAD were working on Link Aggregation

If I remember correctly there was something about it being included Link Aggregation in Future releases

I will try to find it again en post my problem there

I Just think its pretty said for such an expensive to not have such futures build in while its wireless capacity is able to exceed that of a single LAN Port
(And it's also Said they Included a CAT5E Cable instead of CAT6)

If I remember correctly there was something about it being included Link Aggregation in Future releases

I will try to find it again en post my problem there

I Just think its pretty said for such an expensive to not have such futures build in while its wireless capacity is able to exceed that of a single LAN Port

thread is here
http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=12735&highlight=LinkAgg

regardless of if RMerlin includes that script in firmware, I'd still recommend LinkAgg questions to go in that thread

and yes, my initial understanding was that the script would eventually be included

although, I really don't care if it's ever included, it's such a small subset of users
they can download the script if needed
since last version of LinkAgg script was released maybe 70 downloads total

so it's a VERY small subset of the user base

thread is here
http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=12735&highlight=LinkAgg

regardless of if RMerlin includes that script in firmware, I'd still recommend LinkAgg questions to go in that thread

and yes, my initial understanding was that the script would eventually be included

although, I really don't care if it's ever included, it's such a small subset of users
they can download the script if needed
since last version of LinkAgg script was released maybe 70 downloads total

so it's a VERY small subset of the user base

Well that may be so ...
But then think about this:
What benefit could anyone have from a Wireless link that exceeds the 1 Gbps
if the ports on the unit only support 1 Gbps or lower Connection speed

And with the popularity of NAS units growing And most of them having Dual Lan ports
I do not see any reason for Any Router manufacture to not include support for this
Especially AC 1750/1900/2300 Routers Should have this Ability

What good is a Link of 1.3 or 1.7 Gbps if it gets pushed back to 1 Gbps anyway ...

It's all KAD's work. I was considering integrating his script, but seeing how much support requests that feature involves due to compatibility issues, I decided to leave it as an external script for advanced users to tinker with.

I suspect they decided not to for the same reasons as me - getting it to work reliably with other manufacturers is a major pain.

Nothing wrong with that. Cat 5e is the minimum required for Gigabit Ethernet. Since this is a fairly short cable meant to connect the modem, you don't need Cat 6 for that.

Well that may be so ...
But then think about this:
What benefit could anyone have from a Wireless link that exceeds the 1 Gbps
if the ports on the unit only support 1 Gbps or lower Connection speed

You won't get over 1 Gbps out of 802.11ac 3x3. Max is closer to 400-600 Mbps.

New guy here and I just first want to thank RMerlin for all his work. Donation will be posted shortly. :)

I just rolled back to 35_4 since it seems that 38_2 breaks IPv6 for me. Have not tried 38_1 yet. Tried resetting and messing around in the IPv6 section with little success.

Are you seeing anything related to IPv6 in your system log?

Are you seeing anything related to IPv6 in your system log?

I can confirm that in 38_2 ipv6 is still broken if you have custom DNS servers for ipv6. for "Connect to DNS Server automatically" on ipv6, if you choose "Enable", (which turns off the custom DNS servers) ipv6 seems to work fine.

In 38_1, there was an obvious ipv6 error in the logs for this case, but this time nothing obvious in the log related to ipv6.

Merlin, don't know if you can test with ipv6, but if you can, set "Connect to DNS Server automatically" to "Disable" on the ipv6 page, and try using some public ipv6 DNS servers, like the OpenDNS ones:

http://www.opendns.com/about/innovations/ipv6/

I can confirm that in 38_2 ipv6 is still broken if you have custom DNS servers for ipv6. for "Connect to DNS Server automatically" on ipv6, if you choose "Enable", (which turns off the custom DNS servers) ipv6 seems to work fine.

In 38_1, there was an obvious ipv6 error in the logs for this case, but this time nothing obvious in the log related to ipv6.

Merlin, don't know if you can test with ipv6, but if you can, set "Connect to DNS Server automatically" to "Disable" on the ipv6 page, and try using some public ipv6 DNS servers, like the OpenDNS ones:

This.

I prefer to use Google and OpenDNS. Not a fan of Time Warner DNS (TWC NYC if it helps).

But for me, it acts wonky even if I swap back to ISP DNS on 38_2. Then again, after swapping back, I didn't bother hard rebooting or anything like that. Just hit the Reboot button on top of the config page. It hangs when trying to get a WAN IP for IPv6 regardless of the fact that it's on ISP DNS or custom DNS settings. I can try it again with rebooting but nothing shows up in the logs that I can pick out. But to be honest, I might not be looking for the right item. Let me know if I can help narrowing down what the issue might be.

No it works now it just doesn't show still. Both ipv6 pages are blanked but I am getting ipv6 now.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!