What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.374.38 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

2x AC68R's, fw 38_2

I have officially set a new link connection record of 26Mbps!! WoooHooo!! My routers are getting slower and slower by the hour and i didnt have to do a thing. :cool:

I put the routers for sale on Craigslist today.

Attachments

• linkspeed26.png
    linkspeed26.png
    38.5 KB · Views: 618
Last edited:
With mine it just remains solid when there's no activity. Settings - Hidden SSID, WLAN name different from 2.4GHz, for the remainder everything on default.

Every x seconds the LED turns off longer than usual somewhat like more than half a second and it seems to do this in een pattern for 3 to 5 times. I'm worried that the radio is quickly turning off and on. Can this be monitored? Or is this normal behavior? I'm even not sure this LED behavior leads to real lost of functionality.

Update:
After reading part of this thread it seems to be behavior already known for these firmwares. I will read this thread more, maybe I find the answer there. I did see Marlin reacting to previous remarks.

Thanks
Vincent

With mine it just remains solid when there's no activity. Settings - Hidden SSID, WLAN name different from 2.4GHz, for the remainder everything on default.

The only difference is the hidden SSID.
RMerlin mentioned is had something to do with the closed-source part which controls the LED's. Maybe learning to live with it...

any idea?

Well RMerlin, you are right: when wan (although for a very short time) is down redirection (to routers ip) rules are applied; when wan is again already up and I can ping any host outside in internet, redirection continues to point browsers to router's ip.

This should not happen, or I am wrong? It's really annoying all this redirection thing, I think.
It´s the only thing I can point about your otherwise excellent firmware, the only usable at the moment for my asus ac66u. Do you have a donation-via-paypal-link?

The redirect_rules script will always contain these rules, as this is the script that gets applied when the router goes into redirection mode. You need to use the iptables command to view the active rules (iptables -L, iptables -t nat -L).

What kind of Internet connection are you using? Is Dual WAN disabled? I haven't had any other reports of this issue so far.

There's a Paypal link on my website (http://www.lostrealm.ca/).

When I run the nvram get dhcp_staticlist command, what do I do with the output? Do you copy to a txt file? Does the "what you noted" translate to the path and name of that txt file?

Copy what you get as a result of the get command. This is what you have to put back when using the nvram set command.

When I run the nvram get dhcp_staticlist command, what do I do with the output? Do you copy to a txt file? Does the "what you noted" translate to the path and name of that txt file?

to save:
nvram get dhcp_staticlist > filename.txt

and to restore:
nvram set dhcp_staticlist=`cat filename.txt`

(Don't forget the `)

Update: And you of course have to be in a writable directory, such as /jffs (if you enabled that).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The redirect_rules script will always contain these rules, as this is the script that gets applied when the router goes into redirection mode. You need to use the iptables command to view the active rules (iptables -L, iptables -t nat -L).

What kind of Internet connection are you using? Is Dual WAN disabled? I haven't had any other reports of this issue so far.

There's a Paypal link on my website (http://www.lostrealm.ca/).

RMerlin, as I said before, everything related to port forwarding is disabled, router is behind another router/ISP modem in Wireless router mode (Default) bridge, and runs an openvpn client. Dual WAN is disabled, yes.

Also at least one or two other users have reported this issue on this same frorum.

best regards

Last edited:
2x AC68R's, fw 38_2

I have officially set a new link connection record of 26Mbps!! WoooHooo!! My routers are getting slower and slower by the hour and i didnt have to do a thing. :cool:
The Tx/Rx rate in the wireless log is dynamic, so whatever you see there is not the true link speed but you seems to be pissed about the router so its good for you, now that you are getting rid of them.:eek:I hope you find a greener pasture on the other side of the fence.:)

Last edited:
The Tx/Rx rate in the wireless log is dynamic, so whatever you see there is not the true link speed but you seems to be pissed about the router so its good for you, now that you are getting rid of them.:eek:I hope you find a greener pasture on the other side of the fence.:)

Could be, but i have not observed this phenomenon in past firmwares. So what ever Broadcom and Asus are doing, is no longer worth my time.

Could be, but i have not observed this phenomenon in past firmwares. So what ever Broadcom and Asus are doing, is no longer worth my time.

It is, it represents the link speed at the time you refresh the page. I've seen link speeds very low in the windows log but it does not equal when I test the throughput. Since then I've learned to ignore what I see there except for the IP's. Nothing much I can do, just trying to add some thoughts. Good luck on finding a better solution.;)

I wish the Asus/Merlin firmware included the link speed in the active clients list or somewhere. DD-WRT displays this information under the Status section. You can set/disable the auto refresh interval too.

I wish the Asus/Merlin firmware included the link speed in the active clients list or somewhere. DD-WRT displays this information under the Status section. You can set/disable the auto refresh interval too.

It's under System Logs -> Wireless Log.

2x AC68R's, fw 38_2

KGB7-

If you're using windows, right click on the wireless icon in the systray--> open network and sharing center-->change adapter settings-->right click on your wireless adapter-->check "status." I'm not using my ipad at the moment, and my router's wireless log shows that its Tx rate is a whopping 1 mbps. However, that changes once in use.

Last edited:
2x AC68R's, fw 38_2

Howdy,
If using windows??? start task manager and bring up the network tab, watch you link speed at the bottom with your wifi adapter

KGB7-

If you're using windows, right click on the wireless icon in the systray--> open network and sharing center-->change adapter settings-->right click on your wireless adapter-->check "status." I'm not using my ipad at the moment, and my router's wireless log shows that its Tx rate is a whopping 1 mbps. However, that changes once in use.

I wonder if Window's Wifi power savings could be a factor. Might be worth bumping the wireless adapter's power saving mode to Maximum Performance for both AC + Battery in the current power profile. (Windows restart may be required if the client's Wifi driver is temperamental.)

KGB87 is looking at the link between two bridged routers however, not between a router and a client.

The proper way to test the link is to transfer a file between devices on either side of the bridge.

IPV6 broken with 38_2

Asus n66u
Total flash and update to the latest seems to have broken ipv6 with comcast which works with the pre 38 version.

I have working prefix delegation on comcast, but the router itself no longer gets a ipv6 address like pre .38 versions. So local LAN clients get ipv6 connectivity but the router itself doesnt have a ipv6 address assigned to the wan interface anymore. Odd.

The issue is between AC68 Router and a second AC68 set up as Media Bridge. It has nothing to do with WiFi clients. I have a hard wired PC connected in to AC68 Media Bridge, this PC is what i mainly use and thats where i experience issues.

At this time, for testing purposes, i have AC68 Router running fw38_2 and AC68 Media Bridge running fw371. And internet surfing is sluggish, there is a 3-5sec delay before any webpage loads. At times, some webpages simply time out.

So what ever driver Asus gave to Merlin to use for fw38_2, is whats causing issues.

When both routers were running fw 371 or fw 501, i have not experienced any of these issues.

Another thing that i have noticed, is when i set up main router AC68 as AP, the link speed goes UP, way UP. I know what you going to say, that link speed doesnt mean anything. But, if link speed changes, then there are settings with in the router change as well when it becomes as a AP. Yet i cant reproduce same settings when the router is in Router mode.
I have read same exact phenomenon in another thread in regards to AC66 routers. So there is defiantly something weird going on with these AC66/AC68 routers. If nothing changes when switching from Router Mode to AP Mode, then we should NOT see Link Speed Change. When the router is in AP Mode, i still have access to all Wireless options and they stay the same, yet something changes that we cant see in GUI/WEBUI.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!