What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.374.38 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Google chrome released an update today and now the drop down arrows in the GUI look a little funky, mine are black for the Ac66u

ASUS RT-N66U Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.374.2050

Asus released a new Firmware, no mention of range issue.

I am sticking with the -em version.

Thanks

hey merlin!

i've just flashed this new fw to a n66u working as a repeater and a ac66u working as router.

Wireless speed and range increased from .37 build on both devices and so far its working flawless, actually this new build improved my network dramatically ! u sure did a nice job with this one! thank you!

I will update if anything changes.

Also,
perhaps this is not the best place to ask, but...
When using the 66u on repeater mode linked to the router using 5ghz and providing 2,4ghz wifi with same ssid as the router does but with a different channel (i.e: ac66u broadcast 2,4 ssid1 on channel 11 and n66u does ssid1 on channel 6) is possible to lock the 2,4ghz channel to one i want instead of the one the repeater automatically chooses?
i tought that perhaps using a script on jffs might do the work but i don't know how.

thanks again for the help and the very good job you do!

Thx, I guess I always have that off.
When I switched it on the extra line "Advertise DNS to clients" Yes/No pops up.
Probably make me think, hey is that new?!

I leave it off for now, seems to work for me.

Edit: No it's different, I have "Respond to DNS" Yes but the line "Advertise DNS to clients" didn't show.
Then I switched "Respond to DNS" Yes to No and to Yes again without apply.
Then you see the extra line "Advertise DNS to clients" pop up.
Hmmm...

Edit2: Yes, if you hit Apply the line "Advertise DNS to clients" disappears, that doesn't look OK to me.

Ok, there might be a logic issue there regarding what options to show and when. I remember fixing one of these lately, but I might have missed another one. I'll take a look.

First, thanks RMerlin for your work on custom firmwares!

I have the same problem here, with RT-AC66U on 38_1. the 5ghz band seems to be broken when you hardreboot the router. Everything is fine when you use the reboot on the webinterface, after rebooting you can connect to both 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands.

I've tried resetting to factory defaults and fully reconfigure with no chance, but changing any settings on the 5ghz band and applying make it work again. Not a big problem if you don't have any blackouts. :)

Flashing back to 35_4 resolve the issue for now...

Can't reproduce the issue here.

Try to set a static channel if it was left on auto. It's possible that sometimes on a reboot it ends up choosing a channel that your wireless adapter doesn't support. Try setting it to 36 as as starting point, see if that helps.

Could you elaborate a little more....

Asus did make a lot of changes related to IPv6 in their recent releases. Mostly it seems they are attempting to better handle DNS server delegation from the ISP. It's possible they messed something up.

IPv6 is working just fine for me on Comcast using Native with DHCP-PD.

Might be because you are running Git code ;)

There was an issue in the latest GPL where a carriage return could be missing in the generated dhcp6c.conf. It's currently fixed on Github.

Google chrome released an update today and now the drop down arrows in the GUI look a little funky, mine are black for the Ac66u

Does look a bit odd, but it still looks better than in IE. Asus is heavily editing the INPUT fields through CSS, and this is something a lot of browsers have issues with, as they all render quite differently.

Thanks everyone for all the feedback concerning the new RT-N66U and the separate EM builds!

At this point it's clear that there is no longer any need for a separate SDK5 build, therefore this build will be discontinued. Good timing, as it happens right when building it was broken. I will leave the (unmaintained and currently broken) branch on Github for now, in case anyone wants to tinker with it.

Also while EM does improve performance a bit further, it's not guaranteed that this option will work in all future drivers. EM = Engineering Mode. I do not know the low-level details as to what this option does, whether it only has an impact on the firmware code or also on the wifi driver operations. In fact, I have no details on this mode, beside some code in the firmware init code. At the firmware level, EM has an impact on the regulatory domain used by the router. Again, I have little info, beside the domain being changed (US becomes Q2, Q2 is unchanged, EU remains EU but gets a specific revision applied).

For the next few builds, I will maintain the regular and EM builds separate, in case unforeseen impacts show up after a few weeks or months with people using the EM build. I also ahve no idea how this option might evolve over time. If it's just a switch to toggle experimental code, then it might eventually get removed, or that code might get moved to the regular build. Only time will tell.

Asus released a new Firmware, no mention of range issue.

I am sticking with the -em version.

Thanks

This version is slightly older than mine (2050 vs 2078, probably due to the 2078 MIPS-specific USB code not being ready yet), however if anyone tries it out, I'm curious how the wifi performance looks like in this build.

I have a question:

My HWA get disabled with the message of "IPTraffic"

The only thing I did. "tools" > "other settings" change "traffic hsitory location" to "custom location" and "TCP timeout established" to 1200. However, if I change everything back and reboot, it still stay with IPTraffic. I just wonder is there anyway to turn HWA back? thanks

I noticed that Hardware Acceleration also gets disabled when enabling QoS (which I use).

What drawbacks are there to have HWA disabled? :)

I've read that hardware acceleration really only comes into play when your connection speed is really fast ... like 100mbs or more.

300Mbit/300Mbit optic fiber connection, using the RT-AC56U:

HWA/CTF on:
zhbxOrV.png

HWA/CTF off:
jMMkWKb.png

nice! so with Qos on, I should be able to hit 300 with AC56U router! it is nice!

thanks for the info!

The problem with hardware acceleration off and a fast connection is CPU utilization. At around 300Mb/s the processor is pretty much pinned at 100%. It won't have much time to perform other tasks and or will slow down your throughput.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!