What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 3004.388.4 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hello @RMerlin ,

Thank for your amazing work, I have little issue since multiple versions.

I disable all LED On my two routers AX86U but when the weekly reboot happens, LED is on (but off on GUI admin) I need to on off on GUI for avoid this issue. I don't have this issue with official firmware.

Thank for your help ;)

Just in case you didn't know, there's a button on the router to turn off or turn on the LED's. The button's on the right side near the bottom, looking from the front of the router. So you don't need to bring up the GUI to deal with the LED's. I find the button to be a good option, since our RT-AX86U is in the bedroom *smile*.

Just in case you didn't know, there's a button on the router to turn off or turn on the LED's. The button's on the right side near the bottom, looking from the front of the router. So you don't need to bring up the GUI to deal with the LED's. I find the button to be a good option, since our RT-AX86U is in the bedroom *smile*.
That is true however I’m managing a site remotely for someone not so tech savvy and who i don’t really want to be pushing buttons so that’s a little difficult in my particular case :). The thing is (in my view) if the App or WebGui says LED off it’s not unreasonable for it to be … and stay … off.

Why are you introducing issues yourself (with the weekly reboot)? Or, are you trying to obscure some other error(s)?

Why are you introducing issues yourself (with the weekly reboot)? Or, are you trying to obscure some other error(s)?
I cannot speak for that fellow, but in my case (to keep this simple) there is no such scheduled reboot; it just happens on the Node, which has no scripts or scheduled events.

I cannot speak for that fellow, but in my case (to keep this simple) there is no such scheduled reboot; it just happens on the Node, which has no scripts or scheduled events.
I have a similar setup in terms of equipment - RT-AX86S with 2 nodes (RT-AX3000 and RT-AX58U) and I am not getting any random/scheduled reboots on either of my nodes.

Haven't read all the post/comments but have you done a factory reset on the node and re-added to the main router?

@jksmurf, you need to track this down and solve it.

I make a schedule weekly reboot. I like this option for restart automaticaly router.

But LED is on after reboot ;
-GUI said Off , i need to set ON and OFF again for led physically Off

@jksmurf, you need to track this down and solve it.
I don’t disagree, but apart from the comment from the other fellow who says it doesn’t happen with stock (hence possibly related to Merlin), as noted in my thread linked above, there are a number of threads on it and I have yet to see it resolved so it’s not for lack of trying to track it down and resolve it.

example thread here https://www.snbforums.com/threads/leds-keep-coming-back-on.83489/ where one fellow says “By studying the logs it seems the LEDs get reactivated when something changes on the LAN or wifi - not disconnects but more like when the WiFi group key refreshes, or the lease renews, or a channel change. It can also be triggered by making serious changes to the lan or wifi settings.”

this one too; https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ax68u_386-5_2-led-lights-up-automatically-after-power-up.79124/

@jata yes a factory reset is how I always add my AIMESH nodes.

I will keep trying to find a solution.

k.

Last edited:
I've done a bit too much and ended up with some problems with this upgrade. Any tips welcome. Background is I tried the upgrade, it failed and reset the router. I upgraded, then loaded an old config file to bring it all back. I installed YazDHCP, and roughly the same time I switched to using ControlD DNS service with DNS over TLS. I've got an RT-AX88U, an RT-AC56U and two mini wifi units in an AI Mesh. I also had to upgrade the RT-AC56U because that went properly bonkers and was accepting clients and then blocking them! But it works now.

Two issues happening:
a) All my Eufy CCTVs which have their own 2.4GHz network have gone mad.
b) I'm losing some DNS requests/responses somewhere. I just get a hostname not found page. Refresh and it works

Any tips/suggestions that don't involve a factory reset (bit of a last option)

I make a schedule weekly reboot. I like this option for restart automaticaly router.

But LED is on after reboot ;
-GUI said Off , i need to set ON and OFF again for led physically Off

What is the reason for the weekly reboot? You're introducing the (known) issue yourself.

Disable the scheduled reboot and enjoy your router/network.

I don’t disagree, but apart from the comment from the other fellow who says it doesn’t happen with stock (hence possibly related to Merlin), as noted in my thread linked above, there are a number of threads on it and I have yet to see it resolved so it’s not for lack of trying to track it down and resolve it.

example thread here https://www.snbforums.com/threads/leds-keep-coming-back-on.83489/ where one fellow says “By studying the logs it seems the LEDs get reactivated when something changes on the LAN or wifi - not disconnects but more like when the WiFi group key refreshes, or the lease renews, or a channel change. It can also be triggered by making serious changes to the lan or wifi settings.”

this one too; https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ax68u_386-5_2-led-lights-up-automatically-after-power-up.79124/

@jata yes a factory reset is how I always add my AIMESH nodes.

I will keep trying to find a solution.

k.

@jksmurf, my apologies. I wanted to direct that to violetenergy, not yourself. I got mixed up with too many embedded quotes!

Anyone experiencing some kind of memory leak on the AX86U? I updated my router and it has rebooted twice on its own in a week. I have node_exporter and Grafana and can see the memory increase slowly over time, but haven't had time to diagnose the exact issue (I updated and left on a trip after).

I am a bit desperate since I changed my axe11000 for the axe16000, I updated merlin on the new one and when I had problems with some configuration I restored it to the factory and programmed again, after that it was going well, but I had problems with mesh with my ac88u, but I changed them to the asus firmware and something solved I thought it was fine and I'm working remotely from home, but the problem got worse and now the internet connection comes and goes I'm very distressed what can I do help!!!

I will describe my problems again for your information.

My configuration:
AiMesh / RT-AX86u <--- 2.5Gbps ethernet ---> RT-AX86u (WiFi 5GHz / 160MHz) / FW 3004.388.4
Tested various configuration variants in the 5GHz/160MHz band.

I have top phones Samsung S21U and S22U (latest FW updates). There are still problems with the connection to the WiFi network (breaking, disconnecting, slowing down) that I can't solve.

Latest firmware 386.5.2 - everything works perfectly!
The problems started with firmware 386.7.0 and continue until now.

A few days ago I tested the cheap Huawei AX3 WS7200 router, everything worked great (5Ghz/160MHz).

Unfortunately, I'm back to FW 386.5.2 again.

I'm thinking about replacing the AX86U with newer ASUS / WiFi 6e/7 routers, but I'm afraid of the same problems and high costs!

My configuration:
AiMesh / RT-AX86u <--- 2.5Gbps ethernet ---> RT-AX86u (WiFi 5GHz / 160MHz) / FW 3004.388.4

I have top phones Samsung S21U and S22U (latest FW updates). There are still problems with the connection to the WiFi network (breaking, disconnecting, slowing down) that I can't solve.

A few days ago I tested the cheap Huawei AX3 WS7200 router, everything worked great (5Ghz/160MHz).

I'm thinking about replacing the AX86U with newer ASUS / WiFi 6e/7 routers, but I'm afraid of the same problems and high costs!
Personally would totally forget about 160MHz, never worked for me other than a couple hours and only in very close distance to the the router, weather radar, airport... not worth it... all my clients are mostly on 80MHz (5GHz) and always stable.

I use custom DDNS to update my domains.
Today I disconnected wan by flipping the Internet Connection-switch to off, waiting a bit and the on again. Got new ip but the GT-AX6000 didn't even try to update dns. Nothing related to ddns in the log at all and domains unresponsive. Forcing manual update worked.

My configuration:

I'm successfully using 5 GHz/160 MHz on my GT-AX6000 router — this has worked will all Merlin versions for the last year and a half (and, prior to that, with a RT-AX86U). In the US, there is only one channel that currently supports 160 MHz, which is 36.

I only have two (2) devices that currently utilize 5 GHz/160 MHz, and they both connect at more than 2 Gbps:
  1. RT-AX86U wireless AiMesh node; and
  2. Samsung Galaxy Z Flip5.
160 MHz.png

What is the reason for the weekly reboot? You're introducing the (known) issue yourself.

Disable the scheduled reboot and enjoy your router/network.
===== "Disable a design feature for avoid searching root cause" :)

Yes I can do that , but I want to have this feature enabled without side effect like native firmware.

I tried following cmd (thx @jksmurf for the thread link) ;
nvram set led_disable=0
nvram commit

We will see next sunday if issue is gone with that.

I'm available if Dev need log , testing , anything...

===== "Disable a design feature for avoid searching root cause" :)

Yes I can do that , but I want to have this feature enabled without side effect like native firmware.

I tried following cmd (thx @jksmurf for the thread link) ;
nvram set led_disable=0
nvram commit

We will see next sunday if issue is gone with that.

I'm available if Dev need log , testing , anything...
You're running Merlin's firmware. Why not use the led control in amtm?

I can try that yes.