What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 3004.388.4 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I'm using the same SSIDs at home for many years through few system upgrades and in few locations. My business places also have the same SSIDs because I'm moving equipment from site to site often. I'm always using a new (never before used) power outlet though. ;)

You are kidding me to not be aware of it?? I know it myself for a pretty long time.
And I found it like in 2 seconds using search hereand hereand...
Thank you for the links, that was the context I was missing (and why it didn't come up in my search). I thought it was being suggested that a factory reset was needed if you were changing your SSID!

I have no issues. And again Merlin has said nothing about a factory reset being needed. And certainly changing SSID's is NO valid reason to factory reset that's simply false.
Sorry I meant him as @breathless, not you... 😅
And I wrote "Or if still issues, even reset/reconfigure" ;) I did not say it was mandatory.

So someone needs it, others can get away without it, but if you want to be on the safe side or already have issues, it is recommended (also by RMerlin and many others, and not just here), for me also common knowledge.
And if everything should be repeated an endless number of times in every single new thread, that would be ridiculous; thus why the search exist... :)
Thank you for the link, that was the context I was missing. I thought it was being suggested that a factory reset was needed if you were changing your SSID!
Noooooo! 🤣
That's why the blank space/new row 😁
I'm using the same SSIDs at home for many years through few system upgrades and in few locations. My business places also have the same SSIDs because I'm moving equipment from site to site often. I'm always using a new (never before used) power outlet though. ;)
Good for you, if you encountered no issue or have forgot/reconnected on client first (basically same/similar effect).
But some of my customers did, and a bunch here also... ;)

Last edited:
If you come to my home or business with ideas to reset my equipment or change the SSIDs I'll show you the door right away.

If you come to my home or business with ideas to reset my equipment or change the SSIDs I'll show you the door right away.
No ideas here, plain necessity; and as I said sometimes. You were lucky, that's all!
Have been doing this for 25+ years (not just networks, but mainly heavy industry programing and engineering, etc.), hope I learned a thew things... ;)

Have been doing this for 25+ years

Means little.

One of my first jobs, the eternally great Mr Ezell told me

"Practice does not make perfect. Perfect practise makes perfect."

Means little.

One of my first jobs, the eternally great Mr Ezell told me

"Practice does not make perfect. Perfect practise makes perfect."
I have encountered it and solved it with this, RMerlin noticed it too, many others did also; soooo... 😊

At the end of the day, to each its own right to think/do otherwise; not my or anyone's problem 😉
Mr Ezell?? You mean Vince Lombardi?

Last edited:
No ideas here

Reboot, reset and/or reconfigure comes exactly from no ideas what is happening. Please, don't join that team. In very rare cases I needed to re-connect a client. It's a client issue and you don't need to do anything with the AP to fix it. I only recommend reset, reconfigure, use defaults and don't touch when the user has no enough knowledge to troubleshoot. Don't offer it as universal solution to every problem. It's often a waste of time solution.

Reboot, reset and/or reconfigure comes exactly from no ideas what is happening. Please, don't join that team. In very rare cases I needed to re-connect a client. It's a client issue and you don't need to do anything with the AP to fix it. I only recommend reset, reconfigure, use defaults and don't touch when the user has no enough knowledge to troubleshoot. Don't offer it as universal solution to every problem. It's often a waste of time solution.
You haven't read what I said carefully, my recommendation was to forget the Network on the Client (or new SSID if multiple clients have issues), and only at the end reset.

And mainly for the reason you just mentioned - who knows what else the user changed, and thus it is quicker (I have no time to play inspectors often).

Never presented it as universal solution, just was answering One person here... 😉

P.S.
You are missing "plain necessity" in the quoting, otherwise it's out of context. 😁

Last edited:
Dirty upgrade from 388.2_2 , after 1 week i can finally say my FlexQoS seems to be fixed (i was experiencing strange bufferbloats) and overhall my AX86U-Pro has better stability on WLAN connections. Thank you!

thankyou merlin👏388.4 is finally stable for me on 2x asus rtx86u,i’ve been mostly on 386 for months but id always try the beta,i still had lots of cast mcast errors on the last beta 388.2 so wasn’t expecting much ,been running it about a week now and not a single error in my logs or any issues thx

Dirty upgrade a week ago on my 3 Routers and all seems to be working good. Thank you Merlin!

I see, there's however no such option on the client side. Besides that there seems to be no way to transfer VPN config/settings, not just certificates.
It is not enough to just copy the "/jffs/openvpn" folder.

At the beginning of 2021, I wrote a small shell script for a relative of mine so he could more easily & quickly back up & restore a specific subset of NVRAM variables related to his OpenVPN Server configuration (separately from his backing up the contents of the "/jffs/openvpn" folder). This was done at a time when he was having some issues with the router & needed to reset to factory defaults frequently while troubleshooting the problem.

Later on, I made more changes to add NVRAM variables for his OpenVPN client configurations. Eventually, I rewrote the script to be able to back up & restore any subset of NVRAM vars using an input file that lists the specific NVRAM variable key names targeted for backup. I recently updated the script to add a user-friendly menu (based on the code I wrote for YazDHCP).

If you're interested in trying this script, you can download it from PasteBin (www.pastebin.com)
Here are the instructions:

1) Open an SSH terminal window & type the following commands:
Bash:
mkdir -m 755 -p /jffs/scripts
curl -kLSs --retry 3 --retry-delay 5 --retry-connrefused pastebin.com/raw/eUEtWtEc | tr -d '\r' > /jffs/scripts/SaveRestoreNVRAMvars.sh
chmod 755 /jffs/scripts/*.sh
NOTE: You can choose to save the script file in any other location that you prefer.

2) To run the shell script and get some brief help messages, simply go to the directory where it was saved and type:
Bash:
./SaveRestoreNVRAMvars.sh

3) I recommend running the script first in "Menu Mode" to set your preferences for the backup directory & input file path.
Bash:
./SaveRestoreNVRAMvars.sh -menu

4) Attached is an example of the required input file (NVRAM_VarList_SAMPLE.txt)

The input file must be saved in the same directory where the shell script is located.
Rename the file to "NVRAM_VarList.txt" & modify it as necessary for your own purposes.

HTH

Attachments

• NVRAM_VarList_SAMPLE.txt
    453 bytes · Views: 40
At the beginning of 2021, I wrote a small shell script for a relative of mine so he could more easily & quickly back up & restore a specific subset of NVRAM variables related to his OpenVPN Server configuration (separately from his backing up the contents of the "/jffs/openvpn" folder). This was done at a time when he was having some issues with the router & needed to reset to factory defaults frequently while troubleshooting the problem.

Later on, I made more changes to add NVRAM variables for his OpenVPN client configurations. Eventually, I rewrote the script to be able to back up & restore any subset of NVRAM vars using an input file that lists the specific NVRAM variable key names targeted for backup. I recently updated the script to add a user-friendly menu (based on the code I wrote for YazDHCP).

If you're interested in trying this script, you can download it from PasteBin (www.pastebin.com)

Bash:
curl -kLSs --retry 3 --retry-delay 5 --retry-connrefused pastebin.com/raw/eUEtWtEc | tr -d '\r' > /jffs/scripts/SaveRestoreNVRAMvars.sh
NOTE: You can choose to save the script file in any other location that you prefer.

2) To run the shell script and get some brief help messages, simply go to the directory where it was saved and type:
Bash:

3) I recommend running the script first in "Menu Mode" to set your preferences for the backup directory & input file path.
Bash:

The input file must be saved in the same directory where the shell script is located.
Rename the file to "NVRAM_VarList.txt" & modify it as necessary for your own purposes.

HTH
I am archiving this. Thanks for being around. This will definitely help me at some point! :)

Bash:

Bash:

Bash:

HTH
I'll have a look at it, thank you!
Getting this error:

kees@GT-AX6000:/jffs/scripts# ./SaveRestoreNVRAMvars.sh -menu

**ERROR**: Backup directory [/opt/var/NVRAM_VarsBackup] NOT FOUND.

Last edited:
I'll have a look at it, thank you!
Getting this error:

kees@GT-AX6000:/jffs/scripts# ./SaveRestoreNVRAMvars.sh -menu

**ERROR**: Backup directory [/opt/var/NVRAM_VarsBackup] NOT FOUND.
Is that all the output you're getting?
There should be more, which you'll need to provide for context.
Also, a few details about the router might be helpful (i.e. model, F/W version, any USB-attached drives, Entware?). Again, for context.

EDIT:
I'd suggest moving this conversation to a new thread because it's not related to this specific thread's title.

Last edited:
what is the output, when you type ls -la /opt/var into the SSH command-line?
ASUSWRT-Merlin GT-AX6000 3004.388.4_0 Mon Aug 21 19:34:19 UTC 2023
kees@GT-AX6000:/tmp/home/root# ls -la /opt/var
ls: /opt/var: No such file or directory
kees@GT-AX6000:/tmp/home/root#

Off topic.... for now i'll rest my case and dive into this later. Thanks anyway

After more than a year with 386.8 firmware solid as a rock, I took the plunge this morning (AX88U)
I updated to 3004.388.4, followed immediately by a WPS reset and manual reconfiguration of all options.

No problems to report: WAN / LAN / WIFI / VPN are working perfectly so far !

# Like others in this thread, I just lost the "Protected Management Frames" option with WPA2, but I saw that it was normal, Wifi still works fine without it :cool:

# I've just seen a new extra option in the wifi "Roaming Wizard" which is enabled by default. I'll leave it like that, I think it's normal.

Firmware default 386.8 :
1693557570604.png

Firmware default 3004.388.4
1693554644427.png

Thanks to Merlin and the developers for all your hard work ;)

Last edited:
See this release went live whilst I was on holiday. Came back and immediately did the deed on AX86U and as usual, no dramas, all working, and I think the interface seems a little snappier.... unless it was just the reboot :)

Great work Merlin as usual