What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 3004.388.4 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Well I've always been very interested in your router but was too shy to ask.. So please, tell me more about your router , all the information :)
With or without photos? Never mind, you’re too shy... 😜

Has anyone else reported openvpn issues? I had the same issues after the last time I tried to upgrade past 388 beta 3. I can connect fine to openvpn server but I don't get any packets or traffic to Lan or wan from the client... As soon as I downgrade back to 388b3 my openvpn passes traffic. I'm on an ax86u if that matters.
- Solved - icmp and ssh traffic were working with existing openvpn setup on new firmware, but to get the rest of the traffic working I had to switch the openvpn server to tcp and reexport the config to the clients. problem solved.

Last edited:
As @MDM has pointed out, dnsmasq is crashing after the list of hosts is loaded. Check your hosts file you created in dnsmasq. Check for any duplicate MAC address or incorrectly formatted MAC address. I've had this happen to me. It was a MAC address on a dhcp-host line that I mistyped.
Sorry to ask a New question - how to actually check the core hosts and the YazDHCP hosts?

Is anyone successfully using DNS over TLS with the latest version? I've switched back to legacy DNS because <50% of requests were making it to my DNS provider (their logs have missing requests) and I was having to refresh web pages again and again. Everything works fine on legacy DNS. Wondering what's causing this. I notice there's a change in the config since Control-D wrote their instructions here: https://kb.controld.com/tutorials/asus - you can't tell your router not to automatically connect anymore. Any tips or hints welcome.

Is anyone successfully using DNS over TLS with the latest version? I've switched back to legacy DNS because <50% of requests were making it to my DNS provider (their logs have missing requests) and I was having to refresh web pages again and again. Everything works fine on legacy DNS. Wondering what's causing this. I notice there's a change in the config since Control-D wrote their instructions here: https://kb.controld.com/tutorials/asus - you can't tell your router not to automatically connect anymore. Any tips or hints welcome.

I've had no problems in the three weeks or so that I've been using this firmware version with DoT. Using Clouldflare, the 1.1.1.2/1.0.0.2 servers, and it's working well for me. Haven't used Control-D, but NextDNS also worked well for me.

Sorry to ask a New question - how to actually check the core hosts and the YazDHCP hosts?
For YazDHCP hosts:
https://github.com/jackyaz/YazDHCP#changes-made-to-dnsmasq-configuration
YazDHCP adds 3 lines to dnsmasq.conf.add to configure DHCP reservations:
Code:
addn-hosts=/jffs/addons/YazDHCP.d/.hostnames # YazDHCP_hostnames
dhcp-hostsfile=/jffs/addons/YazDHCP.d/.staticlist # YazDHCP_staticlist
dhcp-optsfile=/jffs/addons/YazDHCP.d/.optionslist # YazDHCP_optionslist
addn-hosts contains a list of IP address to hostname mappings, for DNS resolution of DHCP reserved clients dhcp-hostsfile contains a list of MAC address to IP address bindings, to reserve a DHCP IP address for a MAC address dhcp-optsfile contains a list of MAC address to DNS server address bindings, to provide the specified DNS server as a DHCP option for a MAC address
Using SSH or a program like WinSCP; review the following files in the /jffs/addons/YazDHCP.d/ directory to ensure there are no errors, particularly with MAC address entries. One other troubleshooting suggestion. Avoid using spaces or special characters for the Hostnames.
  • .hostnames
  • .staticlist
  • DHCP_clients
If there are errors, for example a incorrectly entered MAC address, correct it, save the changes, then reboot the router and see if the issue continues.

My RT-AX86U is still randomly rebooting with this new firmware. After suffering with it for over a year I decided to just do a factory reset and reconfigure everything, hoping that maybe a stray setting somewhere was causing it but it wasn't. Flashed this version, factory reset and manually configured SSID settings and DHCP for a few clients and it still randomly reboots and logs start writing to May 5 again. It's been happening since someone discovered that it was a kernel panic that caused the reboot here (about the time I got the router and flashed MerlinWRT) https://www.snbforums.com/threads/sporadic-gt-axe11000-reboots-due-to-kernel-panic.77173/

Any help with what I can even do now? Every 4-7 days it seems to just want to reboot itself, which is extremely troublesome when 3 of us are working from home all the time.

Last edited:
My RT-AX86U is still randomly rebooting with this new firmware. After suffering with it for over a year I decided to just do a factory reset and reconfigure everything, hoping that maybe a stray setting somewhere was causing it but it wasn't. Flashed this version, factory reset and manually configured SSID settings and DHCP for a few clients and it still randomly reboots and logs start writing to May 5 again. It's been happening since someone discovered that it was a kernel panic that caused the reboot here (about the time I got the router and flashed MerlinWRT) https://www.snbforums.com/threads/sporadic-gt-axe11000-reboots-due-to-kernel-panic.77173/

Any help with what I can even do now? Every 4-7 days it seems to just want to reboot itself, which is extremely troublesome when 3 of us are working from home all the time.
Try ASUS stock firmware? If it continues, report to ASUS from the router's GUI w/ log file.

Are you using FlexQoS addon? If yes, have a look in this thread:

On my side I removed it and now it's far better. From random reboots every few hours to none.

Are you using FlexQoS addon? If yes, have a look in this thread:

On my side I removed it and now it's far better. From random reboots every few hours to none.
I did on my old config but I have not used it after a couple weeks. I just tried to uninstall it and it says it's not installed so unfortunately it is not caused by FlexQoS ): I don't even use any form of QoS and haven't for a long while. Do addons even survive a factory reset? I tried both Cake and Flex before, but I tried running the uninstall commands for both through SSH and both say they are not installed.

Last edited:

No problems for me.

Try this without ssh

Check this thread here > Merlin on ASUS ax86U Question post 9

Got the same router

Start fresh and clean.

Thanks to L&LD

Try this without ssh

Check this thread here > Merlin on ASUS ax86U Question post 9

Got the same router

Start fresh and clean.

Thanks to L&LD
Yea I already full reset and the issue still occurs. I am now back on stock firmware and hopefully it doesn't happen anymore.

Yea I already full reset and the issue still occurs. I am now back on stock firmware and hopefully it doesn't happen anymore.

Rather than Flex and all that configuration, use CAKE QOS. Set it and forget it simple. I have the same router running merlin and stable for years.

Rather than Flex and all that configuration, use CAKE QOS. Set it and forget it simple. I have the same router running merlin and stable for years.
I don't use either of them at all and haven't for months. I have factory reset and flashed latest firmware when they are available and the issue still occurs. Both QoS are not installed, and I do not even use any QoS at all right now. Right now I'm completely stock firmware and just waiting to see if the random reboots still happen.

I don't use either of them at all and haven't for months. I have factory reset and flashed latest firmware when they are available and the issue still occurs. Both QoS are not installed, and I do not even use any QoS at all right now. Right now I'm completely stock firmware and just waiting to see if the random reboots still happen.
Do you have anything exposed to the Internet?

Rather than Flex and all that configuration, use CAKE QOS.

Up to about 300-350Mbps ISP though, incompatible with NAT acceleration.

Asuswrt-Merlin 388.4 is now available for Wifi 6 models.

Code:
3004.388.4 (21-Aug-2023)
  - NOTE: In preparation for the new 3.0.0.6 codebase, the version
          string will now start with 3004 or 3006 to match with
          upstream.

- NOTE: The RT-AX56U is no longer supported, as Asus has put it
          on End-of-Life status, and the previous Asuswrt-Merlin
          388 releases for that model were all based on untested
          code.

- NEW: Display channel utilisation for supported platforms on the
         Wireless Log page.
  - UPDATED: Merged GPL 388_23588.
  - UPDATED: curl to 8.1.2.
  - UPDATED: OpenVPN to 2.6.5.
  - UPDATED: openssl to 1.1.1u.
  - UPDATED: tor to 0.4.7.13.
  - CHANGED: FTP server will now only support strong ciphers
             in TLS mode.
  - FIXED: QOS Classification showing no Upload data on some
           WAN configurations.
  - FIXED: Radio temperature graphs weren't updating
  - FIXED: XT12 proximity pairing wasn't working (missing
           bluetooth firmware)
  - REMOVED: Ethernet port status from the Tools Sysinfo page
             (as this is redundant with Asus' own display
             now available on the networkmap page).

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.

Thanks @RMerlin. Updated my RT-AX86U. So far everything is good.

View attachment 52515
Did you perform a full reset install or a regular install? For some reason my RT-AX86U won't update, it just hangs