What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 3004.388.4 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Did a fresh and clean install (Hard & Factory reset) on my RT-AX86U.
All my devices and even the printer works again good.
I use SC.
What mean SC?

@Morris - I had the same issue with the beta. The issue was that i had set fixed channel 36 for 5g band. I fixed the issue by switching to auto on 5g and it was resolved.

Maybe there is an issue with AX86U/S with the this GPL and fixed channel 36 on 5g
Thank you - I had the same problem and changing this setting resolved it for me as well. My AX86U would keep getting that error and eventually restart itself (I think a memory leak as I noticed the RAM would steadily climb over 5 days until it restarted at 100% RAM usage).

Changing this setting stopped the memory leak as shown here:
firefox_AjCjb1ce90.png

Last edited:
My RT-AX86U is still randomly rebooting with this new firmware. After suffering with it for over a year I decided to just do a factory reset and reconfigure everything, hoping that maybe a stray setting somewhere was causing it but it wasn't. Flashed this version, factory reset and manually configured SSID settings and DHCP for a few clients and it still randomly reboots and logs start writing to May 5 again. It's been happening since someone discovered that it was a kernel panic that caused the reboot here (about the time I got the router and flashed MerlinWRT) https://www.snbforums.com/threads/sporadic-gt-axe11000-reboots-due-to-kernel-panic.77173/

Any help with what I can even do now? Every 4-7 days it seems to just want to reboot itself, which is extremely troublesome when 3 of us are working from home all the time.
Strange! My AX88U runs stable until I decide to reboot (for what ever reason).
Sounds to me like a hardware issue or shortage on memory (if you would run additional stuff and USB-Sticks/Disk).

After a clean install I see that on 5Ghz by 20/40/80 mhz auto DFS channel selection is enabled.
Is this necessary?
Should I use 160 mhz also?

Last edited:
After a clean install I see that on 5Ghz by 20/40/80 mhz auto DFS channel selection is enabled.
Is this necessary?
No clear cut answer — it depends on your location and whether you actually have 160 MHz-capable devices.

I live in crowdy neighborhood in a City in the EU, Airport is out of range.
Military is also out of range, Weather radar is there not in this area.
I don't have 160 MHz devices.

I live in crowdy neighborhood in a City in the EU, Airport is out of range.
Military is also out of range, Weather radar is there not in this area.
Does anyone know how out of range is defined for purposes of DFS?

You have answered your own question.

Distance not defined. On signal detection from whatever distance APs have to switch channel and stay away for 30min, maintain a list of channels with detected radar, etc. There is false signal detection mechanism in multi-AP controller systems - more than one AP has to detect the radar to trigger action. Home routers as single AP can't do that and I'm in doubt AiMesh has that. Radar-like emissions can bump a home router off the channel more easily.

"DFS Out of range (OoR)" is defined by the formula "DFS OoR = The * Router² / √Does * Not * Sniff³ * It" - this is the exact scientific definition of DFS OoR! 🤣

Last edited:
I don't have external drives - just noticed these errors after 26 clean days of uptime
RAM creeps up to 95% usage

Sep 20 09:59:17 GW-77301F6-C kernel: jffs2: Data CRC 115af98f != calculated CRC adcefa62 for node at 02be1ca0
Sep 20 09:59:17 GW-77301F6-C kernel: jffs2: read_cache_page() returned error: -5
Sep 20 09:59:17 GW-77301F6-C kernel: jffs2: Error garbage collecting node at 02be1ca0!

Bug in CIDR Notation for Network Services Filter on RT-AX86UPro and AX88UPro.

On a fresh config, 388.4 I can filter a single IP, but cannot enter a subnet/block using CIDR notation, the webpage just refreshes with nothing changed.

Tested on my AX-86U (non-plus) aimesh node, same thing. I can filter a single IP but no-go for anything in CIDR.

I tried different chromium and mozilla browsers, and they all fail. Nothing strange appears in the console. The problem seems to be in the firmware or gui. Individual or asterisked values results in a % completion screen, refresh, and the values are in the table.

Anything CIDR just displays "Applying settings", then a pause, then a refresh but nothing has changed.

On both a completely reset RT-AX88UPro and RT-AX86UPro Merlin 388.2_2 accepts CIDR notation no problem.
Merlin 3004.388.4 does not accept CIDR notation (same issues as on the AX-86U_Pro)

I downgraded my production AX-86U_Pro to 388.2_2, and CIDR notation works fine. 3004.388.4 breaks CIDR.

Each router was fully reset between each test and flash. First thing I did after required minimum setup was test the Network Services Filter.

And once I put my production router back into service (manually, no config restore), upgrading to 388.4 breaks CIDR. Downgrading to 388.2_2 restores capability.

(reposted from https://www.snbforums.com/threads/u...-filter-table-on-rt-ax88u-pro-fw-388-3.85884/)

I previously reported that my AX68U client list would crash/freeze and I would have to reboot the router to fix it. This issue appears to be fixed now after I unplugged my router for the night because a storm was coming through. It hasn't happened again since.

Bug in CIDR Notation for Network Services Filter on RT-AX86UPro and AX88UPro.

Odd though - I have the Network Services Filter disabled
Also, the error only appeared after about 25 days of uptime
I'm using a AX68U - Anyway, not a big deal I guess the router is not locking up or rebooting.

Thanks for the reply

Stock Asus firmware took a day for the issue to come up. Merlin firmware takes about a week or more. I'll report back.
Two weeks have passed and no issues. I guess resetting the modem/ONT fixed my ISP DHCP error.

There's a bug on XT12 where the LED settings wouldn't survive a reboot. I will need to manually off the LED light on ASUSWRT again after router reboot . Low priority bug.

The bug used to exist of ASUS official firmware and ASUS fixed it.

There's a bug on XT12 where the LED settings wouldn't survive a reboot. I will need to manually off the LED light on ASUSWRT again after router reboot . Low priority bug.

The bug used to exist of ASUS official firmware and ASUS fixed it.
Yea
On the GT-AX11000_PRO the "Disable LEDs" in Administration > System does not even work. The only way I can get the LEDs off is to toggle the 5G radios on/off.

I use custom DDNS to update my domains.
Today I disconnected wan by flipping the Internet Connection-switch to off, waiting a bit and the on again. Got new ip but the GT-AX6000 didn't even try to update dns. Nothing related to ddns in the log at all and domains unresponsive. Forcing manual update worked.
This is probably a bug in this release.
The "ddns_updated=1" in nvram is not unset when you disconnect and reconnect the WAN from the GUI, so the "ddns-start" won't be called by the watchdog.
Adding something like "nvram unset ddns_updated" in the "wan-event" script can temporarily work around this issue.

On my rtax88u pro, 388.4, has anyone tried changing their password?

Twice now.

First time i changed it, then i could not log in.
This forced me to reset the router again.
Changed the password… crap.

So now i initialed the setup using the password i want from the start.

Fearful to change it now.