What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 3004.388.6 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Running 2 days 10 hours smoothly... but was initially have issue with SSL cert and OpenVPN using surfshark. Managed to resolve:

1. SSL cert - re-apply cert with DDNS
2. OpenVPN - generate new ovpn file in surfshark and upload

No error since

GT-AX6000 and AX86U from 388.5 to 388.6 👍
Thank you.

The drop/reboot issue I got during the alpha/beta seems to have returned.
Whatever causes this happens only after a longer period of using the same configuration.
Both ethernet and Wi-Fi is affected. Uptime resets. An actual reboot.
I have already tried a wipe, twice. Second time I let it run with one change at a time, but since it only happens after several days...

Skynet+Diversion, OpenVPN+WireGuard, split SSID 2.4/5 GHz, Auto, 160 MHz, DL/UL OFDMA + MU-MIMO.
A few fixed IP, DoT, DMZ for a client, DDNS.

I don't see that far back for relevant info. But several group key handshake completed, and suddenly a "syslogd" and start up.

Jan 26 10:00:58 hostapd: eth7: STA 66:82:0f:2e:c4:7a WPA: group key handshake completed (RSN)
May 5 07:05:03 syslogd started: BusyBox v1.25.1

The drop/reboot issue I got during the alpha/beta seems to have returned.
Whatever causes this happens only after a longer period of using the same configuration.
I wonder if you're getting the "Sporadic reboot" problem addressed in this thread...
Sporadic GT-AXE11000 reboots due to kernel panic

I used to get this before 388.4, never saw it on 388.5, but have had a couple of reboots on 388.6.

Note, you won't see any clues in syslog, you only see the "Kernel panic - not syncing: BUG!" syslog entry if you run a separate syslog server. (OR maybe if you set the log level to 'All' or 'Debug')

RT-AX88U. There seems to be some mounting issue with USB 3.0 Patriot Memory (Supersonic Rage Elite) that I have. It sometimes appears "Unmounted" after restarting the router, and if it manages to mount (manually or on its own), sometimes not all addons show up in the main menu. Sometimes Diversion is missing from "LAN" menu, sometimes there is an issue with Unbound, and despite amtm showing it being installed, when opening the script, it shows as not installed. This never happened before with any previous firmware update.

Addons that I have installed: Diversion, Skynet, YazFi and Unbound. All up to date.

UPDATE: There is also an unusual delay after router restart with establishing WAN connection with the ISP. It eventually manages to connect, but this also never happened before. Also, the issue with loading addons and them functioning properly creates issues with WIREGUARD connections and DNS. Smartphones lost the connection with the internet entirely, and when trying to change/adjust "WAN DNS Settings" and "DNS Director", I managed to bring it back, but then it started leaking DNS servers of my ISP (https://mullvad.net/en/check), despite being seemingly connected to the VPN server. Reverting to 388.5 fixes everything, all addons and devices work properly behind assigned and established WIREGUARD connections, and DNS tests show either mullvad or protonvpn DNS (as I initially set up to work this way, depending on the device), instead of my own ISP DNS.

UPDATE2: Someone already reported similar issues in this thread.

@RMerlin thanks as always for all the work you do!

However first time I've had an issue in a LONG time ...

I did a dirty Upgrade from 388.5 on RT-AX86U, now my 4G USB stick which is my secondary WAN can no longer connect properly, it cycles continously on the GUI from being momentarily recognised to going "invisible" again, over and over. I enclose a OneDrive link to a log - look towards the end and you will see the cycles.

AX86U Log

Reverted to 388.5 and all is good again with the 4G USB stick and dual-WAN.

Anyone else having issues with USB 4G/5G sticks on 388.6?

Edit: Model of the 4G USB stick is Huawei E8372-320 (ex Telstra Australia)

Last edited:
On my AX86 Pro, the only hiccup I see is that when NTP has synced. The WAN connections establish after approx. 30 seconds. Furthermore everything works great!

On my AX86 Pro, the only hiccup I see is that when NTP has synced. The WAN connections establish after approx. 30 seconds. Furthermore everything works great!
Interesting that you should mention the WAN delay. I rebooted my mesh system yesterday after messing with the WIFI settings and noticed the WAN seemed to take a bit longer to connect. Checking the Internet Status page I noticed my ISP had changed the DHCP Lease Time from 15 minutes to 30 minutes. I chalked up the connection delay to Brightspeed. But now I am not sure with another report of the same delay. Will have to see what develops...
My connection 100/100 FIOS

I wonder if you're getting the "Sporadic reboot" problem addressed in this thread...
Sporadic GT-AXE11000 reboots due to kernel panic

I used to get this before 388.4, never saw it on 388.5, but have had a couple of reboots on 388.6.

Note, you won't see any clues in syslog, you only see the "Kernel panic - not syncing: BUG!" syslog entry if you run a separate syslog server. (OR maybe if you set the log level to 'All' or 'Debug')
Ah. I'll look into how to collect syslog remotely. Never done that.

New bcm wifi code is not good. I have 2 PCs with intel Wifi, ax201 and ac9260.
Both get that P before (_STMAU) for like a split second randomly. Disabled all power safe, apsd / smps still happens. Every 5-10min I get that P, RX drops to 6mpbs for like a and ping spikes to ~100ms

Both latest stock and merlin(with factory reset). Reverted to 388.5 no more ping spikes / clients entering P save (6mb rx) for a split second.
I have AX210 on my LapTop, and all works fine for me.
Have you set all the green, sleep etc. settings adequately in the driver Advanced tab section?
And have you tried to Forget the network, and then reconnect (can be needed at big driver changes).

Ah. I'll look into how to collect syslog remotely. Never done that.
As a quick fix, changing the "log messages more urgent" field to "All" on the system_log/general_log page may work.

Interesting that you should mention the WAN delay. I rebooted my mesh system yesterday after messing with the WIFI settings and noticed the WAN seemed to take a bit longer to connect. Checking the Internet Status page I noticed my ISP had changed the DHCP Lease Time from 15 minutes to 30 minutes. I chalked up the connection delay to Brightspeed. But now I am not sure with another report of the same delay. Will have to see what develops...
My connection 100/100 FIOS
I’m in double NAT. WAN with a fixed DHCP Ip. They don’t serve bridge unfortunately. I tried a direct connection with PPPOE and VLAN-6 but with the same outcome. 30+ seconds the WAN kicks in after NTP synced.. Double NAT because the VLAN kills multicast. I prefer multicast over unicast (higher bitrate). In the weekend I will reset the AC86 and setup as main. I can’t really remember in former setup if the WAN was first to create the connection and afterwards the NTP will sync. will see.

Surely with the WAN down ntp wouldn't be able to sync?

Did a dirty update from 3004.388.5 to 3004.388.6 on the main router and two nodes. That was three days ago. New firmware installed without a hitch. Router and nodes rebooted fine. All forty three network clients reconnected perfectly. System has been rock solid. The GUI even seems a bit quicker.

Surely with the WAN down ntp wouldn't be able to sync?
Sure, you’re right. Without the WAN up, NTP couldn’t sync. In my case NTP synced before WAN up. Strange. But for what I can remember last night, VPN/WG started after WAN up, so that’s oke and maybe i did something strange?

Sure, you’re right. Without the WAN up, NTP couldn’t sync. In my case NTP synced before WAN up. Strange. But for what I can remember last night, VPN/WG started after WAN up, so that’s oke and maybe i did something strange?
Not so strange really, if there's some delay between the WAN coming up and the router acknowledging it. Simple explanations are always best 😁

RT-AX88U. There seems to be some mounting issue with USB 3.0 Patriot Memory (Supersonic Rage Elite) that I have. It sometimes appears "Unmounted" after restarting the router, and if it manages to mount (manually or on its own), sometimes not all addons show up in the main menu. Sometimes Diversion is missing from "LAN" menu, sometimes there is an issue with Unbound, and despite amtm showing it being installed, when opening the script, it shows as not installed. This never happened before with any previous firmware update.

Addons that I have installed: Diversion, Skynet, YazFi and Unbound. All up to date.

UPDATE: There is also an unusual delay after router restart with establishing WAN connection with the ISP. It eventually manages to connect, but this also never happened before. Also, the issue with loading addons and them functioning properly creates issues with WIREGUARD connections and DNS. Smartphones lost the connection with the internet entirely, and when trying to change/adjust "WAN DNS Settings" and "DNS Director", I managed to bring it back, but then it started leaking DNS servers of my ISP (https://mullvad.net/en/check), despite being seemingly connected to the VPN server. Reverting to 388.5 fixes everything, all addons and devices work properly behind assigned and established WIREGUARD connections, and DNS tests show either mullvad or protonvpn DNS (as I initially set up to work this way, depending on the device), instead of my own ISP DNS.

UPDATE2: Someone already reported similar issues in this thread.
When you have USB added and install scripts, make sure disk check(dc) is installed. Is it?

I have AX210 on my LapTop, and all works fine for me.
Have you set all the green, sleep etc. settings adequately in the driver Advanced tab section?
And have you tried to Forget the network, and then reconnect (can be needed at big driver changes).

actually might be my router. I deleted the post because it needs more testing.
I was testing with a single client connected to 5ghz to compare with my old ac86u.
Edit: Having a second client connected and active, like also doing pings stops it from happening. Test up for 20min no spikes...
Single client with low amounts of traffic drops to 6mb RX occasionally and latency spikes with all power saving off in professional settings (APSD off).

Disabling wifi6 or setting client to 802.11ac drops 0.2ms. Setting 802.11n drops another 0.1ms. But spikes are the same.
802.11n even though lower latency with low traffic it's much worse with any type of traffic because it's capped at 300mbps...

Tested with 802.11ax for ax86s and 802.11ac for ac86u. Manual channel, smart connect off. No visible neighbor networks on 5ghz I live in a big property.
ax86sping.png
ac86uping.png

Last edited:
actually might be my router. I deleted the post because it needs more testing.
I was testing with a single client connected to 5ghz to compare with my old ac86u.
Having a second client connected and active, like also doing pings stops it from happening.

Disabling wifi6 or setting client to 802.11ac drops 0.2ms. Setting 802.11n drops another 0.1ms. But spikes are the same.
802.11n even though lower latency with low traffic it's much worse with any type of traffic because it's capped at 300mbps...

Tested with 802.11ax for ax86s and 802.11ac for ac86u. Manual channel, smart connect off.
Have you tested with the latest Intel drivers, they made important changes in them lately in the 23. series (latest official 23.20.0, I use 23.20.1.1)..?

Have you tested with the latest Intel drivers, they made important changes in them lately in the 23. series (latest official 23.20.0, I use 23.20.1.1)..?

I have driver 23.20.1.1. APSD disabled, packet aggregation off, mimo power saving off.
PC is using high performance power plan.

Only thing that stops it from happening seems to be having a second client on 5ghz doing light but constant traffic. If second client is idle it's the same shiit.
AC86U no spikes...

Last edited: