What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 374.40 Beta 2 is available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Factory reset fixed issues I had with my AC66R Immediately after updating firmware some of my wireless devices were complaining, factory reset and everything is cruising along. Now to set all my personal settings again...

And yeah, registered just so I could let Merlin know that the reset makes things happy again. :) Worth adding myself to yet another forum just for this purpose.

Work fine too on my RT-AC68U.

thanks Merlin

Loaded 374.40 Beta 1 on my RT-N66U at 8 am on 1 March, and for 16 hours it is working without problems.

Loaded 374.40 Beta 1 on my RT-N66U at 8 am on 1 March, and for 16 hours it is working without problems.

What's the wireless signal like?

Last edited:
Other than the router hanging when transferring files using Samba to a NTFS USB drive, beta1 is still stable on my AC68R

I don't know if the hanging is to be blamed by the Firmware or NTFS, but I formatted the drive to Ext4 and we're good (except the crappy performance of the USB2.0 drive).

Installed on my RT-N66u a few hours ago, everything seems to be running perfect, thanks!

Upgraded all my devices to Beta 1 (from Alpha 4), lets see how the rebooting goes.

RT-N66U 374.40 Beta1(Cleared NVRAM)

a. 5GHz band does not show(blank) the "control channel" and "extension channel" dropdown when 40MHz bandwidth is toggled. Channel Bandwidth have to be set 20/40 to be able to apply "static" control channel.

b. 2.4GHz band's "regulation mode" defaults to off and can't be enabled.

c. There is a new feature in the wireless-general called "protected management frames" on both bands. I don't know what it is.;)

W8 64bit
IE11

Last edited:
RT-N66U 374.40 Beta1

a. 5GHz band does not show(blank) the "control channel" and "extension channel" dropdown when 40MHz bandwidth is toggled.

b. 2.4GHz band's "regulation mode" defaults to off and can't be enabled.

c. There is a new feature in the wireless-general called "protected management frames" on both bands. I don't know what it is.;)

W8 64bit
IE11

I have the same problem with drop down menu and 40 MHz bandwidth, Internet Explorer doesn't seem to display this behavior, only chrome and firefox

protected management frames is something asus is adding, may or may not be functional across the various models. at least, it wouldn't enable on my n66. eitherway, it wont be something merlin has much control over

They must have done something with the driver for AC66u, with 40MHz channel bandwidth I no longer see channels 157,161 it stops at 153. I have to set channel bandwidth to 20/40/80 MHz to have channels 157,161 available to select.

Edit: This appears to be an issue with Chrome as when I use IE all channels are available for selection with 40MHz Channel Bandwidth

I am on a mac with safari and i see the same. But my computer is connecting to channel 161. So it does seem to be a WebUI issue here.

I also want to report that the issue with pc running Windows Home Server 2011 causing the "Client Status" To fail after hitting refresh is fixed. Here is a link to issue http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showpost.php?p=105475&postcount=408

Way to go RMerlin, thank you.

This issue must be intermittent since I haven't changed a single line of code in Networkmap in months.

Keep an eye on it. If it ever happens again, what could help me in pinpointing down would be for someone to email me their dnsmasq lease file, as I suspect it's something in that file that ends up using an unexpected syntax, which breaks Networkmap as it tries to parse it. That would explain why Asus also suffers from this issue since they switched to my Networkmap code since 4422.

Same thing with RT-N66U.

Must be a regression since it was working a few release back. I'll take a look during the week to see if I can reproduce it.

Is this the same if going from 374.39_0-em to 374.40 Beta 1? Hard reset not mandatory?

Yes, especially since EM is now used in the default N66U build.

I had the same exact error on my AC-66R so I went in and created an account for FTP by using that link in the error message. It didn't go away but after I did a factory reset it went away.

This is a known issue in Asus's code. I think it was posted a couple of times already, but here is it again:

Go to the FTP page, enable sharing without an account, and switch back to sharing with an account. That will force the flag to be cleared.

Upgraded all my devices to Beta 1 (from Alpha 4), lets see how the rebooting goes.

I'd be surprised if the problem had been fixed since Beta1 uses all the latest code from Asus's 4561 which was exhibiting the issue, but still keep us informed how it turns out, just in case Hell hath frozen over. :)

Howdy
RT-N66U
374.40 beta 1
loaded fine
factory reset, reset back up as access point
all looks good so far.

from a notebook running insider... I am seeing the 2.4ghz 20mhz wide channel 1 really fluctuating from a good -33 to disappearing to coming back to -33

5ghz channel 149+153 showing a solid -48, no dropouts

Howdy
RT-N66U
374.40 beta 1
loaded fine
factory reset, reset back up as access point
all looks good so far.

from a notebook running insider... I am seeing the 2.4ghz 20mhz wide channel 1 really fluctuating from a good -33 to disappearing to coming back to -33

5ghz channel 149+153 showing a solid -48, no dropouts

Don't put too much faith in Inssider, sometimes it will do that when scanning for visible networks.

If you want to test the stability of your 2.4 GHz link, make sure you connect using that band, then try sending a long series of pings to see if it has random dropouts:

Code:
ping 192.168.1.1 -n 100

(replace IP with that of your router)

This issue must be intermittent since I haven't changed a single line of code in Networkmap in months.

Keep an eye on it. If it ever happens again, what could help me in pinpointing down would be for someone to email me their dnsmasq lease file, as I suspect it's something in that file that ends up using an unexpected syntax, which breaks Networkmap as it tries to parse it. That would explain why Asus also suffers from this issue since they switched to my Networkmap code since 4422.

I am pretty confident that its not intermittent. I have spent many hours trouble shooting this. I can guarantee you that this the only RMerlin f/w that allowed a "client status" refresh on my setup. All asus f/w up to 3.0.0.4.374.4422 would also allow a "client status refresh" but any version after and including 3.0.0.4.374.4422 would not.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!