What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 374.40 Beta 2 is available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Howdy folks,

Release 374.40 Beta 1 has been uploaded to Mediafire. I'm releasing this build as a beta because there's been a lot of changes from Asus in the recent GPL code, plus the RT-AC68U is still unstable for some users.

UPDATE
374.40 Beta 2 has been uploaded to Mediafire, resolving a couple of issues, including multiple long-standing issues in the networkmap service.

• This release is based on Asus's 374_4561 GPL, which includes various security-related fixes, and IPv6/USB tweaks.
  • The RT-N16 build has been fixed, now that Asus has released an up-to-date GPL release for that model (and I received the replacement RT-N16 I ordered, since my previous development router kept randomly crashing while flashing it)
  • The RT-AC68U is currently unstable for some users (but not everyone, which makes it even harder to track down). I tried isolating the issue and couldn't locate the cause (I only got it to crash a single time in over 10 days of testing here, so that makes it hard to troubleshoot). Asus are aware of the issue (which was introduced in 374_4422) and are looking into it. If you are amongst those suffering from stability issues with this release, I recommend reverting to 374.40 Alpha4, which includes the security fixes but does not suffer from the random reboots of newer builds.
  • Numerous fixes and enhancements were made to DNSFilter, including the ability to specify your own custom DNS. You can use this to force your media devices to use a region-unlocking DNS filter for instance. New built-in services were also added, and IPv6-enabled connections should no longer bypass filtering.
  • Various additional IPv6-related enhancement and fixes were contributed by various users (credits are in the Changelog)
  • The RT-N66U is now compiled with EM mode by default, as it provides the best wireless coverage overall.

A few other things were fixed/changed, as usual the details can be found in the complete Changelog.

As you will also notice, version numbering has also been simplified. From now on, I will only number versions based on the last two digits, i.e. 374.40. Last time Asus changed the FS version (from 3.0.0.3 to 3.0.0.4), they still kept sequentially incrementing the build number, so this should not create any future confusion.

Aside for the RT-AC68U, this beta build is the recommended build for all other router models at this time. I strongly recommend updating, especially because of the AiCloud-related security fixes.

Feedback-wise, what I'm mostly interested in:

• Feedback on the DNSFilter enhancements
  • If someone can manage to find a reproducible way to cause the RT-AC68U to reboot, I'm interested (and so are Asus I suspect)
  • Ipv6 - see if issues you had with 374.39 are now resolved. Make sure to report what ISP you're on, what type of IPv6 service they provide and what prefix they are delegating

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Flashed my AC66R to 374.40 Beta 1. Really like the new Parental Control hourly selection scheme, drag style selection is back! Also the DNS filtering per device drop down menu is very nice. Thank you Merlin! Will report back if I see any issues over time.

Mine is working great to (AC66U)

the only issue i have is the security warning

The FTP permission was at risk and has been automatically changed to "Share with account" which allows administrator login only. You can use router login name and password to login. If you want to change permission setting, Click here to go to the setup page..

Except i have FTP off.

Thanks for all of the hard work Merlin.

Up on my RT-AC68R.

Have not experienced any random reboots since running this router for a week.
Tried Alpha7, Alpha8, Alpha9, and official 4561.

2.4GHz disabled.

5GHz Channel 44, Bandwith 80MHz
3 Wireless clients (2 Apple Devices)

1 LAN client

No USB devices

Bootloader 1.0.1.6

Overclocked to 1000,666 (Not using Turbo mode)

Mine is working great to (AC66U)

the only issue i have is the security warning

The FTP permission was at risk and has been automatically changed to "Share with account" which allows administrator login only. You can use router login name and password to login. If you want to change permission setting, Click here to go to the setup page..

Except i have FTP off.

Thanks for all of the hard work Merlin.

Refer to this: http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showpost.php?p=107248&postcount=6

Regulation mode ---setting to 11d "does not stick" on 2.4g

Route stil does not reboot/boot properly after wifi changes..
power on/off still needed .. (it works with ...39)

(maybe has something to do with ne EU channels) maybe reboot are related to them to... as I'm from EU... ??? )

Schedule Disk Scan (does not stick too) it get unset every time)... not working in 39 and 40..

ac68

Last edited:
When activated, AiCloud - Smart Sync, process inotify 80-90%
This was not there before. Router freezes hard.
Switched back to 374.39_0, all is well

Attachments

• screen.jpg
    screen.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 836
Last edited:
I'm on 374.39_0-em everything running good but i will update right now to test. thanks

Regulation mode ---setting to 11d "does not stick" on 2.4g

Route stil does not reboot/boot properly after wifi changes..
power on/off still needed .. (it works with ...39)

(maybe has something to do with ne EU channels) maybe reboot are related to them to... as I'm from EU... ??? )

Schedule Disk Scan (does not stick too) it get unset every time)... not working in 39 and 40..

When activated, AiCloud - Smart Sync, process inotify 80-90%
This was not there before. Router freezes hard.
Switched back to 374.39_0, all is well

I'm on 374.39_0-em everything running good but i will update right now to test. thanks

WHICH router?

Please gents, it's useless if you don't let know.

@All, put your router into your signature.
Go to "User CP" -> "Edit signature". (On top of the page.)

Thx. :)

Last edited:
IPTraffic

rt-ac66u, since last official merlin 39, my global traffic counter goes haywire. After flashing this beta, I tried to reset by menu without success. Even after deleting both traffic files from ssh, old history still showing up in traffic monitor.

.40beta1

Running AC66U

Seems to be Another greate update RMerlin.

I got one issue. the radio strengh is very bad in .40beta1 compared to .39.
i'm running the same channel as Before updating and i lose about 20dbm in signal strengh. Is it a fw problem or somthing else? I have not changed anyting else here at my end and there has not been any new wifi nets in my surrounding. i'm thinking of going back to .39 if the signal strengh remains this bad in .40.

As far as MiniDLNA goes it seems the same as previous SDK6 releases for stuttering on the N66U it doesn't seem to matter if the MiniDLNA is the internal version or an external version on debian entware.

EDIT: Despite that I think I'm going to stick with this firmware and perhaps buy a Raspberry Pi to play off samba instead.

Last edited:
Got my ac68 this morning and proceeded to put this firmware on it, so far I have to reboot the laptop to reconnect to it after a change, beamforming on is shocking with the intel ac7260.

Going to give .39 a bash to see if that is any better!

SMB fix

Hi MerlinR,

I saw that you fix the typo in the smb.conf (FIXED: typo in SMB config ("use spne go") (Asus bug))

Looks likes I still have issue with my android phone running "ASTRO File Manager" ...

System.log: Mar 1 09:20:22 smbd[1280]: reply_sesssetup_and_X: Rejecting attempt at SPNEGO session setup when it was not negoitiated.

I fixed the issue with this config:
<---
use spnego = yes
client use spnego = no
--->

Also,

Using those socket options gives better speed on my usb drive (I removed the SEND/RECEIVE buffers... And I add IPTOS_LOWDELAY)

socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_KEEPALIVE IPTOS_LOWDELAY

Thanks for the great firmware :)

well signal strength droppd and transfer rate has gone down , way down , 3-4 MBPS down , what took 60 seconds now takes 3 minutes
going back to 40 alpha 4 , that had great connection and transfer rates

well signal strength droppd and transfer rate has gone down , way down , 3-4 MBPS down , what took 60 seconds now takes 3 minutes
going back to 40 alpha 4 , that had great connection and transfer rates

One which Asus router model are you seeing these drops?

Sorry forgot , AC 66 ,

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!