What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 376.44 Beta 1 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I'm scratching it because it hasn't been working for at least one, if not two versions already.

It's been fine for me up to .43 or maybe I wasn't paying attention. ;) It's only with this beta that I notice the EM driver(or was it not) got a shortened range. My 5 GHz connection is now fluctuating from full 5 bars to 4. :eek: while before it's always in full strength.

Last edited:
I think you mean system log > wireless log

I can confirm it says "2.4 GHz radio is disabled" when disabling 5GHz channel.

As for signal it is a bit better to my TV but still not as good as sdk5.

sdk5 was -45 to -50

44 beta1 is -53 to -55 which a little bit better than the latest stock or 44alpha4.

I will stay with this for a bit and see if connection issues occur.

I can't reproduce it on my N66. Can you guys go back to the Professional page and make sure you didn't disable it on the 2.4 GHz band by accident? Also try clearing your browser cache first.

If you bought a device outside of the US and it has a US country code in the CFE, then the reseller is the problem, not the manufacturer. If that's the case, I would shout at your reseller first, as it seems they are obtaining their inventory through the grey market rather than through official channels, probably because it's less expensive.

You are quite correct of course.

<rant> The situation for Europe is much worse. For no legal reason, all of Europe is lumped together as 'EU' with only 4 x 5GHz channels when most countries have many more. This EU setting has no legal basis. I am quite happy to have a properly localised and locked GB unit as that is where I am. It is not acceptable for me to be sold a deliberately crippled unit and not be allowed to correct it. </rant>.

Rant over, sorry people.

With this beta version, No matter what channel I set the 5GHz it says channel 36 and 20MHz in the log:

RSSI: 0 dBm SNR: 0 dB noise: -92 dBm Channel: 36
BSSID: Capability: ESS ShortPre
Supported Rates: [ 6(b) 9 12(b) 18 24(b) 36 48 54 ]
HT Capable:
Chanspec: 5GHz channel 36 20MHz (0xd024)
Primary channel: 36
HT Capabilities:
Supported MCS : [ 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ]

Mode : AP Only

With 374.43, all is normal:
RSSI: 0 dBm SNR: 0 dB noise: -89 dBm Channel: 153/80
BSSID: 08:60:6E:BE:06:B4 Capability: ESS ShortPre
Supported Rates: [ 6(b) 9 12(b) 18 24(b) 36 48 54 ]
VHT Capable:
Chanspec: 5GHz channel 155 80MHz (0xe19b)
Primary channel: 153
HT Capabilities:
Supported MCS : [ 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ]
VHT Capabilities:
Supported VHT (tx) Rates:
NSS: 1 MCS: 0-9
NSS: 2 MCS: 0-9
NSS: 3 MCS: 0-9
Supported VHT (rx) Rates:
NSS: 1 MCS: 0-9
NSS: 2 MCS: 0-9
NSS: 3 MCS: 0-9

Last edited:
You are quite correct of course.

<rant> The situation for Europe is much worse. For no legal reason, all of Europe is lumped together as 'EU' with only 4 x 5GHz channels when most countries have many more. This EU setting has no legal basis. I am quite happy to have a properly localised and locked GB unit as that is where I am. It is not acceptable for me to be sold a deliberately crippled unit and not be allowed to correct it. </rant>.

Rant over, sorry people.

True.

With all respect, it's not fair to point to resellers.
The locked localised thing is for 100% Asus to blame.

I sure hope Asus will fix the mess they created themselves.

I can't reproduce it on my N66. Can you guys go back to the Professional page and make sure you didn't disable it on the 2.4 GHz band by accident? Also try clearing your browser cache first.

I can reproduce it once I change 5GHz setting.

If leaving everything on default in 5GHz only entering ssid and key it says 5GHz radio is disabled but if I change setting to the following it says 2.4 radio disabled.

Wireless mode:N only
Channel bandwidth:40MHz
Channel:36

Have not tested which one once changed is doing it but I suspect Wireless mode or channel bandwidth.

Attachments

• disabled.JPG
    disabled.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 566
True.

With all respect, it's not fair to point to resellers.
The locked localised thing is for 100% Asus to blame.

I sure hope Asus will fix the mess they created themselves.

People are mixing up a lot of completely different issues here.

1) Devices sold outside of US with the CFE country set to US: this is the reseller's fault for selling devices NOT meant for their local market. Asus cannot control where resellers buy their inventory.

2) Devices in EU all sharing a common EU region instead of more specific regions. This one is either Asus or Broadcom's fault

3) Future inability to force routers to use a different region: this one is the FCC's fault, as they are making it a requirement now for manufacturers to ensure that end users cannot modify their routers to operate in a different region than which the router was intended to.

I can reproduce it once I change 5GHz setting.

If leaving everything on default in 5GHz only entering ssid and key it says 5GHz radio is disabled but if I change setting to the following it says 2.4 radio disabled.

Wireless mode:N only
Channel bandwidth:40MHz
Channel:36

Have not tested which one once changed is doing it but I suspect Wireless mode or channel bandwidth.

I can reproduce it with these specific steps.

This is really odd, because the Wireless Log page does display the 2.4 GHz section correctly - seems like it's just displaying the wrong message in the second section.

No mixing up here.
I agree with the above.

And for sure I don't want to see the FCC play with my router abilities.
FCC has nothing to do with my country.

No mixing up here.
I agree with the above.

And for sure I don't want to see the FCC play with my router abilities.
FCC has nothing to do with my country.
May I assume that you would not mind a locked, but properly NL-localised router? I would not mind a locked GB-localised one, well not that much anyway;). I am attaching a copy of the latest Wi-Fi frequency allocations that another user of this forum kindly gave me for information. Hopefully people will see how much they are losing out because of this.

Attachments

• Supported Country Codes.pdf
    238.3 KB · Views: 702
OpenDNS is getting my current WAN IP. However I left 8.8.8.8 that is showing under Custom (user-defined) DNS 1. I use DNS-o-matic to update my ip.

With this beta version, No matter what channel I set the 5GHz it says channel 36 and 20MHz in the log:

set the wireless mode to auto not AC + N
People are mixing up a lot of completely different issues here.

1) Devices sold outside of US with the CFE country set to US: this is the reseller's fault for selling devices NOT meant for their local market. Asus cannot control where resellers buy their inventory.

2) Devices in EU all sharing a common EU region instead of more specific regions. This one is either Asus or Broadcom's fault

3) Future inability to force routers to use a different region: this one is the FCC's fault, as they are making it a requirement now for manufacturers to ensure that end users cannot modify their routers to operate in a different region than which the router was intended to.

Obviously ASUS as we used to be able to change it, so this is s simple software issue. Oh well, time to hop back to wrt if this is the case as it is a deal breaker.

I can reproduce it with these specific steps.

This is really odd, because the Wireless Log page does display the 2.4 GHz section correctly - seems like it's just displaying the wrong message in the second section.

Something is setting wl1_nband to "-1", which is not a valid value. That causes the httpd daemon from incorrectly identifying unit 1 as being a 5 GHz band rather than 2.4 GHz.

I can't find any instance in the code that sets the nband value, so I'm not sure where it obtains that -1 value.

Last edited:
I updated to the beta for the AC66U. I really like the new system status. It nicely displays CPU and RAM usage. But then I saw that below these 2 charts is enough space over, so...

RMerlin, would it be possible to put in that empty space the temperature readings (CPU/WiFi radios) so you have a complete package of the system vitals in one look? For the temps, I now have to go to Tools to read them

I'm guessing -1 is the default for wl1_nband until something is supposed to change it when initializing or configuring the interface somewhere. Could this also explain beamforming apparently disappearing for some users?

Something is setting wl1_nband to "-1", which is not a valid value. That causes the httpd daemon from incorrectly identifying unit 1 as being a 5 GHz band rather than 2.4 GHz.

I can't find any instance in the code that sets the nband value, so I'm not sure where it obtains that -1 value.

As soon as I get a chance I will load stock 1071 and see if it has the same issue.

If you bought a device outside of the US and it has a US country code in the CFE, then the reseller is the problem, not the manufacturer. If that's the case, I would shout at your reseller first, as it seems they are obtaining their inventory through the grey market rather than through official channels, probably because it's less expensive.

The device came in a sealed box with an Asus brand power adapter which has an Australia power plug.
How can Asus claim the device was not intended for use in Australia?

Last edited:
CPU 100%

After the latest upgrade CPu seems to be 100% all the time. Inotify process getting around 80%
After killing this process minidlna process took over with over 99%. Killing this process CPU now normal. ANy ideas?

Last edited:
After the latest upgrade CPu seems to be 100% all the time. Inotify process getting around 80%
After killing this process minidlna process took over with over 99%. Killing this process CPU now normal. ANy ideas?

Noticing the same (high CPU for both processor) but I admitt loving the new status display on the front page.

Might be related but my speed, even over wired LAN, is taking a hit on the internet. Internet speed directly with my provider's speed test is impacted. download is around 20mb while it should be 30mb. upload is around 7mb while it should be 10mb.

** update just wanted to say that CPU has calm down since a while so maybe it was just busy after a reboot for a longer period of time to get all its services up and running.

Last edited:
This firmware is full of bugs just like the Asus release. Back to 43_2 and all is good. I am really wondering what direction Asus is heading down. Not good... Thanks for your effort RMerlin but using the Asus code has also borked this version.

Last edited by a moderator:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!