What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 376.44 Beta 1 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Noticing the same (high CPU for both processor) but I admitt loving the new status display on the front page.

Might be related but my speed, even over wired LAN, is taking a hit on the internet. Internet speed directly with my provider's speed test is impacted. download is around 20mb while it should be 30mb. upload is around 7mb while it should be 10mb.

I also noticed that if you ping the public IP address it responds to ping even dough I have set not to. It never responded to ping before. ANother bug?

I do not think my device was ever intended to be sold in USA and instead was always intended for Australia.
I bet the Singapore users have a similar story with a power plug that suits their country and not USA.

Has anyone seen anything other than EU and US factory set in these Asus routers?

Attachments

• IMG_20140729_083130.jpg
    IMG_20140729_083130.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 462
  • IMG_20140729_083202.jpg
    IMG_20140729_083202.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 514
I have to agree with Kel-L. The firmware from Asus is buggy from the get go, and borked in = borked out. I hope Asus doesn't think they can just shirt the bed with their firmware and rmerlin will clean it up. :)

The nifty little wireless/wired list is buggy, some wireless devices will mysteriously become wired. Unless they have another definition of wired than I do. This is an Asus problem, not an rmerlin one.

Also, let's not get our panties in a bunch over signal quality. I know everyone wants to go and check their dBm right off the bat and all, but give the router (moreso give yourself) a day or so to acclimatize before we all go bonkers about reception.

This firmware is full of bugs just like the Asus release. Back to 43_2 and all is good. I am really wondering what direction Asus is heading down. Not good... Thanks for your effort RMerlin but using the Asus code has also borked this version.

Yeah That's probably what I will be doing has well. Maybe its not the best time for me to be a beta tester espicially since I just bought this unit and trying to see how good/reliable the router is.

I updated to the beta for the AC66U. I really like the new system status. It nicely displays CPU and RAM usage. But then I saw that below these 2 charts is enough space over, so...

RMerlin, would it be possible to put in that empty space the temperature readings (CPU/WiFi radios) so you have a complete package of the system vitals in one look? For the temps, I now have to go to Tools to read them

The monitoring page is a new Asus addition. I don't want to mess with it for now in case they already have plans for additional things to be added there.

As soon as I get a chance I will load stock 1071 and see if it has the same issue.

I tested an older version (374.41) and it came up fine.

I'll have to insert more debugging code into httpd to figure out at which point of the process the -1 value vets written to nvram. A grep over the whole source code came up with nothing. Starting to wonder if it's not a bug in the nvram handling that gets the incorrect value written.

The device came in a sealed box with an Asus brand power adapter which has an Australia power plug.
How can Asus claim the device was not intended for use in Australia?

Then I have no other idea.

After the latest upgrade CPu seems to be 100% all the time. Inotify process getting around 80%
After killing this process minidlna process took over with over 99%. Killing this process CPU now normal. ANy ideas?

Try with a smaller subset of files for minidlna to scan, in case one of them is bugged and causes minidlna to crash.

About how many files are you using with minidlna?

Noticing the same (high CPU for both processor) but I admitt loving the new status display on the front page.

Might be related but my speed, even over wired LAN, is taking a hit on the internet. Internet speed directly with my provider's speed test is impacted. download is around 20mb while it should be 30mb. upload is around 7mb while it should be 10mb.

** update just wanted to say that CPU has calm down since a while so maybe it was just busy after a reboot for a longer period of time to get all its services up and running.

Services like minidlna and the iTunes server can take quite a while to scan, especially if you have a large media collection.

This firmware is full of bugs just like the Asus release. Back to 43_2 and all is good. I am really wondering what direction Asus is heading down. Not good... Thanks for your effort RMerlin but using the Asus code has also borked this version.

The goal of a beta is to get a list of bugs so they can be looked at. "full of bugs" is unfortunately not useful at all, and no one will be able to fix any bug that doesn't get reported.

I also noticed that if you ping the public IP address it responds to ping even dough I have set not to. It never responded to ping before. ANother bug?

Tested here with an RT-N66U and ping are correctly dropped.

Are you scanning from WAN side? Are you using any VPN client (which would effectively bypass the firewall)?

Pings sent to the WAN interface from the LAN side will be replied because the firewall is fronting the Internet interface, and your pings never even leave your LAN.

I have to agree with Kel-L. The firmware from Asus is buggy from the get go, and borked in = borked out. I hope Asus doesn't think they can just shirt the bed with their firmware and rmerlin will clean it up. :)

The nifty little wireless/wired list is buggy, some wireless devices will mysteriously become wired. Unless they have another definition of wired than I do. This is an Asus problem, not an rmerlin one.

Are those devices still connected? I suspect that wireless devices that go offline might end up being reported as being wired.

Asus currently forces a complete refresh of the networkmap every time you access the main router's page. I removed that forced refresh because it felt excessive - it might cause stale client data to be incorrectly reported however.

The goal of a beta is to get a list of bugs so they can be looked at. "full of bugs" is unfortunately not useful at all, and no one will be able to fix any bug that doesn't get reported.

Understood. Beta ok these bugs were there in the Asus release and just carried on to your build. :confused:

Noticed a minor bug.

I site survey you get a Asus showing up regardless of what of what you name your 2.4ghz.
It seems to be the Extension Channel rather then the Control Channel.

Its merely cosmetic and doesn't affect function in anyway.

Rt N66u

Last edited:
Services like minidlna and the iTunes server can take quite a while to scan, especially if you have a large media collection.

As a data point, my media library is 56031 photos, 2351 music files and 234 video files. After the initial scan, on my RT-AC68U, running 376.44_beta1 shows CPU Core 1 at 4% and Core 2 at 2%. They do tend to fluctuate from low single digits to 10's of percent.

Looks good to me!
jjg

Not a big deal, but, on the Wireless tab, on any of the sub-tabs, switching the pulldown between 2.4 and 5 GHZ, in Firefox, the browser window flashes entirely white before updating. A little bit startling.

That doesn't fix it on my RT-N66U.

Howdy,
Your not understanding my post. :eek:

If you update to a new firmware and things are not totally working correctly, sometimes you need to re-flash the firmware. Also if by chance you have other items not working, you need to get to a baseline... such as factory reset the unit. Set router back up from the ground up to see if those strange little things are fixed or not. This is to double check what you have flashed, and to see if something hanging in the nvram settings is leaving something hanging.

This applies to someone which states they have upgraded the router the last 10 firmwares without ever doing a factory reset, then ask why something then doesn't work right. They do a factory reset, and then the router might all be working correctly.

proper way to track down issues. ;)

New to this forum. I'm not running this beta firmware yet (currently running Asus 376_1663 on an AC68U), but does anyone know if the following issue is fixed in this release if indeed the problem is a bug? Not sure if anyone determined the cause, but I'm seeing this in the logs:

WAN(0) Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly.

I have dual WAN mode turned on. I'm using a CAT5e cable on the WAN(0) connection, but believe the primary WAN interface on the cable modem is fast ethernet while the secondary WAN interface on the other modem is gig-e. Wonder if this is some sort of auto-sensing issue. Anyone know how to see the speed/duplex status on the AC68U?

Did not observe the "2.4 radio disabled" issue with Asus stock 1071.

I've been bombarding my N66U with test builds all day long and monitoring it over serial. The actual issue seems to occur in rc:restart_wireless(), at which point the router will write "-1" to the nband variable.

I'm still in the process of doing additional carpet bombing of that part of the code with debug printf() calls to narrow down the exact location where nband gets changed.

It's possible that the issue got introduced between 1071 and 1779.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!