What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 376.44 Beta 1 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have a rt-ac66 on 374.42
and also my garden and I have a big house and garden.

your definition of big is small, my house is big, but there is much bigger houses, and rt-ac66u does not cover my house. my house is about 5000-6000 sqft if u include attic crawlspace and garage

i was actually thinking about this the other day, everyones definition for a big house is different, here my definition of a big house would be something most people refer to as mansions.

my house is 3000-3500 sq ft legal with about 2000-3000sq ft that doesnt count towards the square footage

yes maybe i can get signal in most places of my house with rt-ac66u

but i wouldnt say anywhere below -75dBm is really acceptable for me

many spots go below -75dBm or have no coverage at all

rt-ac66u is not big enough to cover my whole house properly. as far as 2.4GHz i could deal with just 2 AP's, but for 5GHz to cover my house properly i need atleast 3 AP's

and i plan on getting 3X3 AC AP's

No way, no placebo!
If you say that, you didn't test for yourself.
I agree with you 100%. The EM drivers has range and throughput comparable to the SDK5 in my own tests. One thing I noticed with 376.44 Beta1, even if the wireless driver comes with the same dates and build as the previous EM driver, it looks like the EM mode isn't enabled. The wireless with this beta1 is shorter in range and higher dbm. If there is a placebo driver, this is the one.;)

No idea, I haven't used my AC66U for anything but development for a long time. Any change there would have been done by Asus.

Thanks for the reply, looks like it was removed unfortunately.

I'm still using a wireless driver from October 2013 on the RT-AC66U because people were complaining about the range/performance of newer Asus releases.

Is it possible to put in the latest driver available for AC66U users to see if anything has changed in that regard? I appreciate the time, thank you!

What router model?

The firmware does not enforce any particular country code, that code is entirely untouched and unmodified from Asus's own code.

Ac68u. Setting country code worked previously but not on this firmware, each reboot puts it back on US.

Ac68u. Setting country code worked previously but not on this firmware, each reboot puts it back on US.

Howdy,
This is known as a quirk.
Factory reset your router.
setup the entire router again and check your country code.

Here is my report. I only use the router as an AP

I have an RT-N66U.

5GHz was no change in signal strength.

2.4GHz went from -34db to -40db and signal strength dropped
to zero every minute or so. Not enough to drop connections that
I have noticed.

I am back on 374.43 which seem to work fine for me. But I do like
the new look and features of this beta.

Using inSSIDer for signal strength.

I getting Please wait,20% applying settings when changing setting on the GUI and CPU Core 1 100% on first page on RT-N66W. Wireless is about same as before both 2.4GHZ and 5GHZ.

Update: after factory resetting router CPU starts at 100% and 10 minutes later it at 1%-30%, still no change with wireless range.

RT-N66W

Last edited:
your definition of big is small, my house is big, but there is much bigger houses, and rt-ac66u does not cover my house. my house is about 5000-6000 sqft if u include attic crawlspace and garage

i was actually thinking about this the other day, everyones definition for a big house is different, here my definition of a big house would be something most people refer to as mansions.

my house is 3000-3500 sq ft legal with about 2000-3000sq ft that doesnt count towards the square footage

yes maybe i can get signal in most places of my house with rt-ac66u

but i wouldnt say anywhere below -75dBm is really acceptable for me

many spots go below -75dBm or have no coverage at all

rt-ac66u is not big enough to cover my whole house properly. as far as 2.4GHz i could deal with just 2 AP's, but for 5GHz to cover my house properly i need atleast 3 AP's

and i plan on getting 3X3 AC AP's

My premises is about 10.000 sq ft and my house covers about 3350 sq ft of that. The AC66 is free standing in the center and about 5 feet from the floor. On 5Ghz throughput will not go below 100Mbs. This goes for my laptops with Intel 7260ac clients with the latest driver. It took Intel a very long time to get that driver working decently but now it is almost perfect. There is zero interference on 5ghz(except for the weather radar on some channels). I use 2.4 Ghz only for printers and non-critical data logging equipment.

static ipv6 with /64 prefix, and multicast works ok. for now.

Hi,

for those who feedback on the country_code, can you check what is in your CFE?

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=17793

I found this in my AC66U CFE (opened with Wordpad)

pci/1/1/ccode=US
pci/2/1/ccode=US
regulation_domain=US
regulation_domain_5G=US

Mine is a set purchased from a Singapore retailer.

My CFE does not have those at all but does have:
0:ccode=US
1:ccode=US

Although:
nvram get 0:ccode responds with AU
Similar:
nvram get 1:ccode responds with AU

It would seem insane that Asus is going to lock all these devices to US after selling them all around the world. Why would they force 95% of the worlds population in to breaking their local law so that 5% can correctly follow their laws. I think Asus is about to get themselves in a world of legal trouble if they continue down this path.

RT-N16 3G Modem

Report for known issue may be,

My 3G modem can't connect to internet with this build firmware for RT-N16 and Huawei EC1261-2, the connetion icon status show DHCP Connetion failed

thanks

Tested beta 1 on AC66U,

found that with HW NAT enabled, speed never over 200Mbps, actually it is around 160Mbps and CPU is 100% during the transfer, and it is funny that even I enabled IPV6 6in4 tunnel, the HW NAT still show as Enabled (HW NAT cannot enable in previous firmware with IPV6 enabled)

with NAT disabled in switch control, speed is a bit faster around 180Mbps, but still cannot > 200Mbps and CPU is also at 100%.

now with same configuration downgrade back to previously version, speed can reach to 450+ Mbps and CPU is not 100% with HW NAT enabled.

So HW NAT is not working / enabled in this beta 1? Thanks

Hi,

for those who feedback on the country_code, can you check what is in your CFE?
From CFE:
Code:
pci/1/1/ccode=0
pci/2/1/ccode=0
regulation_domain=EU
regulation_domain_5G=EU

It seems during boot the firmware creates some new settings from this.
For example:
Code:
nvram get wl1_country_code
EU
admin@RT-N66U:/tmp/home/root#
This setting I always change from EU to NL.
That gives me the allowed 5GHz channels in my country.
However it doesn't survive a reboot with this beta1. :(

I got my router from a retailer in my own country. (NL)

Last edited:
Day 2, everything working just fine :)
RT-N66U

pirx73,

I too am on the second day (1 Day 7 hours...) and am very happy with the 376.44 B1 version on y RT-N66U too.

I will be trying this version on a customer's RT-AC68U later today and hope it is a similar positive experience (they have dual wan enabled).

Parental Controls

Hey Merlin, I'm using Opendns with AC87-R. I have opendns home set with individual ip addresses. It's not blocking sites. I've went to facebook and was able to get through as well as playboy. I didn't do any other settings except enable dns filtering, set opendns home and assign ip addresses.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!