What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 376.47 Beta 1 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Just a quick and dirty report for both RT-N66U and RT-AC68U which were both previously on the 374.43 v3 Fork by john9527.

On wireless, both bands seem to be back up to close to 374.43 firmware speeds. Close enough that I am staying on the this Beta 1 for now.

As for usage mode, these routers are used for basic internet, wifi and lan (RT-N66U) and the RT-AC68U is used in Dual WAN load balanced mode with again, basic internet, wifi and lan access. Each network (in different parts of the city) have about a dozen wired clients and about twice that for wireless across both bands.

Thanks again RMerlin for such a great release, even when it's just designated as a Beta.

On LAN-> IPTV Page i can't set to "Enable" two options,

Enable multicast routing (IGMP Proxy)
Enable efficient multicast forwarding (IGMP Snooping)

When i try set options to "Enable" and press "Apply" button to Save changes, page refresh with "Disable" options.

My HW: RT-N66W

Bug introduced by Asus in 376_2678, resolved with this commit.

I can verify that the VPN settings are no longer working properly, just as you described. RT-AC66U. Thanks.

Was a bad merge, the PPTP account display was attempting to access the OpenVPN account list. Fixed.

I was able to do further testing with the RT-AC68U and my Intel AC7260 equipped laptop in addition to my older N based laptop.

With a steady link of 866.7 Mbps with the Intel AC card, the indicated maximum throughput was very close to the 374.43 firmware; about 32.5 MB/s. The difference was that using FreeFileSync to compare and sync two folders took about 1/4 of the time with this Beta 1 build to do it's compare. Very impressed. Much less overhead over wireless with this build.

With my N class based laptop, I can only attain 144 Mbps connection rate, but compared to the 376.45 firmware, the throughput went from about 4 MB/s to 11.5 MB/s when paired with the AC1900 class RT-AC86U. Floored.

The compare time was quicker too with the N client, but the speed increase in the 2.4GHz band was not expected.

Again, this is a good version and I'm now back officially to the RMerlin main builds.

Just a quick and dirty report for both RT-N66U and RT-AC68U which were both previously on the 374.43 v3 Fork by john9527.

On wireless, both bands seem to be back up to close to 374.43 firmware speeds. Close enough that I am staying on the this Beta 1 for now.

As for usage mode, these routers are used for basic internet, wifi and lan (RT-N66U) and the RT-AC68U is used in Dual WAN load balanced mode with again, basic internet, wifi and lan access. Each network (in different parts of the city) have about a dozen wired clients and about twice that for wireless across both bands.

Thanks again RMerlin for such a great release, even when it's just designated as a Beta.

Just a quick question, did you do a factory reset from johns v3 firmware. Also you have not mentioned how the wireless range is compared to 374.43?

I may do a reset to factory defaults with the final 376.47 firmware, but I did not have to do it now coming from v3 of john9527's Fork.

Wireless range is comparable to 374.43 firmware in my environments, but range is not an issue in my small(er) areas.

Throughput is much more important to me (copying files back and forth).

Running since Monday, works great! I do see a few more errors with my HD in the log but that has been the case since the change in the USB drivers. Reducing USB 3.0 interference is disabled

Sep 17 13:45:29 kernel: xhci_hcd 0000:00:0b.0: WARN: Stalled endpoint

Last edited:
Running since Monday, works great! I do see a few more errors with my HD in the log but that has been the case since the change in the USB drivers. Reducing USB 3.0 interference is disabled

These are normal. It happens when you try to access your HD after it has spun down due to inactivity. The HD spins up after these warnings are logged.

Question... Is anything changing here, in terms of drivers / updates for the core system on the AC68U? Or mostly just features? I know it's a merge with the most recent Asus code, but do they typically make tweaks with every release?

Installed Beta 1.

My RT-AC68U now runs very hot. The CPU temperature is 90 degrees C which is unacceptable if the CPU is idling.

See here:
o5O8cuf.jpg

Is the firmware reducing the life of our router?

Installed Beta 1.

My RT-AC68U now runs very hot. The CPU temperature is 90 degrees C which is unacceptable if the CPU is idling.

See here:
o5O8cuf.jpg

Is the firmware reducing the life of our router?

The firmware has nothing to do with the temperature.

Question... Is anything changing here, in terms of drivers / updates for the core system on the AC68U? Or mostly just features? I know it's a merge with the most recent Asus code, but do they typically make tweaks with every release?

The RT-AC68U driver I'm currently using has been unchanged since July 25th.

The rest of the core system is shared across all other firmwares builds, so any update to the kernel, the httpd and such applies to all models.

The firmware has nothing to do with the temperature.

I currently have the RT-AC87R with the 376.47_beta1. What is a normal or "good" temperature for the CPU to run at? Mine is currently at 82 degree's Celsius. Not quite 90 like the other guy but still pretty hot.

FYI, I'm not blaming the firmware.

When I am watching Movies through my attached USB 3.0 Hard Drive it disconnects after about 30 minutes of watching, everytime... Is anyone else having DLNA or streaming issues with the RT-AC87R? I wonder if it can't handle it... I stream to my Samsung F6300 and also use Plex as another streaming service.

This problem happens with Asus firmware and Merlin's. (USB problems)

I currently have the RT-AC87R with the 376.47_beta1. What is a normal or "good" temperature for the CPU to run at? Mine is currently at 82 degree's Celsius. Not quite 90 like the other guy but still pretty hot.

Not enough reports on the RT-AC87U yet to have a good sampling range, but based on my own experience, the RT-AC87U is a few degrees cooler than the RT-AC68U, which typically runs between 80 and 90C for the vast majority of users.

So, I'd say anything under 95C should be fine.

This problem happens with Asus firmware and Merlin's. (USB problems)

Try it on the USB 2 port to see if it's more stable. If it is, see if you can replace the USB cable you are using, it might have shielding issues (some USB 3.0 drives come with pretty cheap/poorly shielded cables).

Is SNMP enabled for RT-N16?

Hi RMerl, I haved installed the beta on my RT-N16 and went over all the configuration pages looking for SNMP... but with no luck.

Here is an screenshot of the Administration page, where I belive It should be, as others user's screenshots shows.

If it is not intended for my router then sorry about the mistake.

If it is... then may be is a browser issue (this is opera developer 25). I have been looking for the .asp page also and I think it is not there (unless it does not have the word SNMP on the filename).

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• no SNMP.jpg
    no SNMP.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 585
I am willing to try that build

Do you have md5 sum for the trx files... In the ftp site you have those files directly in trx format (no zipped) so if there is some error in the download I will not know, and if I flash it... and it is wrong... I am afraid I can toast/brick my device.

I can help testing your builds, but not first hand (for the same fears described before)... If you install it first and asure that it wont brick the RT-16N I can install it too and report flaws or problems.... I can not afford loosing this router, it doesnt even exist in the country I live.

Thanks!

in first post you can find on what models build already tested.

my build is the same as merlin (forked) with some corrections and additions.

You always can use Firmware Restoration Mode.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!