What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 376.47 Beta 1 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@ALL:

I'm interested about feedback concerning Asus's SNMP support. I know it basically works, browsing through the entire tree of MIB exposed various things such as router configuration, SSID, etc... Just wondering if it's of any use to anyone wanting to monitor things such as their traffic, or if Asus left it too closed down for you to use it in any useful way. Unfortunately, my knowledge of SNMP is pretty bare, so I can't fully tell if it's actually of use or not.

@ALL:

I'm interested about feedback concerning Asus's SNMP support. I know it basically works, browsing through the entire tree of MIB exposed various things such as router configuration, SSID, etc... Just wondering if it's of any use to anyone wanting to monitor things such as their traffic, or if Asus left it too closed down for you to use it in any useful way. Unfortunately, my knowledge of SNMP is pretty bare, so I can't fully tell if it's actually of use or not.
Good day RMerlin!
Thanks for your job, its great! I am very happy that you want to support snmp on-the-box.
I use snmp on RT-N66U with snmpd from entware with your firmware. My snmp applet(conky, KDE) get OIDs for monitoring uptime, sda1 disk usage, wifi module temperature. At this time i need also monitoring current upload and download speed on interfaces. If this options will be support, you will be my god :)
Sorry for my bad english.

RMerlin is it worth making the jump from 45 to 47 once the beta is solid. For the RT-AC66U and RT-N66U...Thanks!

I have uptime ~24h now and evrything working as is should.

Getting this in logg, seems one missing setting in dropbear.
Sep 15 16:52:37 dropbear[2800]: Couldn't set SO_PRIORITY (Bad file descriptor)

octopus

I have uptime ~24h now and evrything working as is should.

Getting this in logg, seems one missing setting in dropbear.
Sep 15 16:52:37 dropbear[2800]: Couldn't set SO_PRIORITY (Bad file descriptor)

octopus

Were you using WinSCP and see this when you exit?

If that's the case, I've contacted the dropbear author and it's a harmless error msg that will be corrected in the next release.

Were you using WinSCP and see this when you exit?

If that's the case, I've contacted the dropbear author and it's a harmless error msg that will be corrected in the next release.

Yes, seems so. Thanks!
Sep 15 22:50:53 dropbear[4430]: Exit (octopus): Exited normally
Sep 15 22:50:53 dropbear[4430]: Couldn't set SO_PRIORITY (Bad file descriptor)

Last edited:
Have been testing this build for a day now with no issues so far - will do some testing later today for wifi on both bands.

@ALL:

Hi Merlin, thanks for all your work!..
I just set up SMNP on the router and in a program for Mac Os X called: PeakHour.
The Program validate user (admin) and password (testtesttest) but then say: "No interfaces found". As you can see here:
attachment.php

It's a bug or I'm doing something wrong?

Thanks

Attachments

• Schermata 2014-09-16 alle 15.30.20.jpg
    Schermata 2014-09-16 alle 15.30.20.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 1,218
SNMP support

Had been testing this build with no issues - Thank you Merlin!
My main reason to move to this beta from stable release was to get SNMP - however all I can walk is sys and snmp branches - no interfaces. Are they not exposed or I have to switch to SNMPv3 and if so how do I set password for admin user.
Is there a way to install independent SNMP daemon on the box?

Cheers,
Simdim

RMerlin is it worth making the jump from 45 to 47 once the beta is solid. For the RT-AC66U and RT-N66U...Thanks!

Look at the changelog and decide for yourself. Personally I'd say yes because there are bug fixes involved in addition to the other changes.

Hi Merlin, thanks for all your work!..
I just set up SMNP on the router and in a program for Mac Os X called: PeakHour.
The Program validate user (admin) and password (testtesttest) but then say: "No interfaces found". As you can see here:
attachment.php

It's a bug or I'm doing something wrong?

Thanks

No idea. I used MIB Browser here to test it, with SNMPv1 or v2 (I forgot which).

Had been testing this build with no issues - Thank you Merlin!
My main reason to move to this beta from stable release was to get SNMP - however all I can walk is sys and snmp branches - no interfaces. Are they not exposed or I have to switch to SNMPv3 and if so how do I set password for admin user.
Is there a way to install independent SNMP daemon on the box?

Cheers,
Simdim

I'm not familiar with SNMP so I have no idea, sorry. All I know is when I used MIB Browser to walk through everything, I was able to see things such as the SSIDs, WPA keys, IP addresses, etc...

Just to help to try to solve this issue (if is an issue and not my misconfiguration)
I tried MIB Browser both with SMNP v1 e v2
MiB Browser and Router are communicating (if i ask SysDesk, SysUpTime, ecc the AC68U give back right information). When i ask for interfaces/ifNumber i get these error:

SMNP v1:
attachment.php

SMNP v2:
attachment.php

Attachments

• SMNP v1.jpg
    SMNP v1.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 1,048
  • SMNP v2.jpg
    SMNP v2.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 1,000
SNMP support

It seems I can pull a lot of info including SSID security strings etc (no interface info though) if walking private mib .1.3.6.1.4.1.2623
snmpd crashes after .1.3.6.1.4.1.2623.4.1.1.4.3.6.0

SimDim

SO FAR SO GOOD

Installed on my rt-ac66u... so far so good.

It's possible Asus uses only non-standard (or undocumented) entries.

The only reference available is the source code itself - they don't provide any mib config file that could be used by SNMP clients, just the code generated by them from these mib definitions.

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-me...router/net-snmp-5.7.2/agent/mibgroup/asus-mib

Very interesting - looks like we can get EVERY aspect of the box except for ifIndex. Too bad my 66 is fried by lightning (long story ... the take away put serge protector on cable feed before cable modem) so all I have is AC68 to play with

Hi Merlin. I seem to be having issues with VPN on my RT-AC87U.
It is not behaving as I would expect.
I do not use OpenVPN and never have.
This is what I am getting with VPN servers off.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

If I enable VPN Server I get this:
4.jpg
5.jpg

I get two instances running for some reason, never had this in past firmware.

Also under VPN Server I am unable to enter a username and password anymore.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!