What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 376.48 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Jim, maybe I should try John's fork, then? Can you give me a quick rundown on what's different about John's fork than mainline RMerlin?

I've turned off CTF in the interim to see if that helps with 48_1. Who knows?

Hey Jim, maybe I should try John's fork, then? Can you give me a quick rundown on what's different about John's fork than mainline RMerlin?

I've turned off CTF in the interim to see if that helps with 48_1. Who knows?

Hey Roger. John's fork is a updated version of Merlin's 374.43_2 firmware that has always been a solid performer. John has taken this build and added the security fixes of the new 376 builds and a few features of his own. I have used the fork on my N66U and my AC68U and it works well on both routers. You can read more about it at the link below.

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=18914

EDIT: I dont see a version for the 68P on John's download page i am not sure if it would be the same as the 68U or not. Maybe John or Merlin can confirm or deny this.

EDIT 2: After a quick search it seems it does use the same firmware as the AC68U (R).
http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showpost.php?p=146912&postcount=12

Last edited:
Consensus is my fork should work on the 68P loading the 68U version, but nobody has jumped in yet to confirm they have done it.

Edit: Crossing posts....somebody just jumped in :)

Last edited:
Okay, got the new fork firmware going here *smile*, IPv6 is working. According to everything I've read, the RT-AC68P is supposed to use the same firmware as the RT-AC68U. And this has been my experience so far.

Hoping for the best with the new firmware.

Okay, got the new fork firmware going here *smile*, IPv6 is working. According to everything I've read, the RT-AC68P is supposed to use the same firmware as the RT-AC68U. And this has been my experience so far.

Excellent good luck with it. It always worked well for me. According to John's post above your the first to post using the Fork with the 68P.. :)

You may or may not be interested in this thread using a 374.43 firmware..

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=19262

Last edited:

Keep us posted. I'll give it a try over the weekend.

Update, it has less then 24 hours and the router has lost its IPv6 address for no apparent reason. IPv6 is definitely borked in 376.48_1 as stated by others. Back to John's fork 374.43_2 ver 6.

Some 5GHz Wifi Problems .. Maybe related to this release ?

My RT-AC68U router is running on "RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_376.48_1".

I have 2 Android devices (Nexus 7 (2013) + Nexus 10)
Both devices do have 5GHz problems.
They just don´t see the 5GHz signal/ssid.

iPhone6 and MacBookAir devices are working fine, either "d+h" or "d" only !
Only the 2 Android devices do have this problem.
I did factory reset .. etc.

Only this helps :

nvram set wl1_reg_mode=d
nvram commit && reboot

After reboot the 2 Androids connect directly - stable and fast.
Both devices are running on Android L. (stock google 5.0)

I was coming from stock Asus firmware (3.0.0.4.376.3626), due to the fixed minidlna (inotify) I moved to Merlin.
On stock Asus I did not change the reg_mode value at all and all devices were running fine on 5GHz.

Is this problem related to 376.48_1 ?

Update, it has less then 24 hours and the router has lost its IPv6 address for no apparent reason. IPv6 is definitely borked in 376.48_1 as stated by others. Back to John's fork 374.43_2 ver 6.

24 hours here, and still have IPv6 on John's fork. So far, better than mainline RMerlin.

I do notice that I've lost the "system status" with CPU load factor and memory usage in the large subwindow on the right hand side of the Network Map page. But no problem with that, I get the same information in a way more to my tastes on the "Tools" page, anyways *smile*.

So I'm staying with this firmware for my reliability testing...

24 hours here, and still have IPv6 on John's fork. So far, better than mainline RMerlin.

I do notice that I've lost the "system status" with CPU load factor and memory usage in the large subwindow on the right hand side of the Network Map page. But no problem with that, I get the same information in a way more to my tastes on the "Tools" page, anyways *smile*.

So I'm staying with this firmware for my reliability testing...

I am also back on the fork. As far as the CPU usage that was introduced starting with the 376 builds, nice feature but i can live with out it.

I never had any problems with IPV6 and merlin firmwares since 1 year on Rt-n66u and 68u.Simple question: are you all with Comcast or what? Lots of problems a see here with IPv6 and Comcast is always mentionned . :confused:

The only problems i got is when my Pc mac adress was clone in router.When i found that,i left a blank space( no mac adress clone) and the problems gone,no more ipv6 adress lost,no more reboot.. etc.

Running 48_1 (uptime 3 weeks) without issues :rolleyes: and IpV6 rock solid

Well i am glad its working for you,and yes i am using comcast. Ipv6 is not stable for me and others on this build have no idea why. Switching back to John's fork fixes the problem and also works great. I dont care about icons and cpu meters its all eye candy. I want a firmware that works and the fork works. :rolleyes:

Just as a heads-up for those not familiar with the code: a large portion of the IPv6 stack is being replaced in the near future. Asus implemented new code that does not rely on radvd+rdnssd and other obsolete tools. They finally turned the new code on in the recent RT-AC87U beta release.

Most likely I will issue an *alpha* release in the near future with that same code enabled for people to experiment with it. The new code is far simpler and cleaner, so it's probably less likely to display quirks with various ISPs. Keep in mind however that this new code is still quite, well, new, so it might have other issues at this time.

Bottom line is, fighting with the current radvd-based implementation is just beating a dead horse. That code is going away in the coming weeks/months.

Interesting news, but I wonder if the new code will allow customization, for example I use the radvd.postconf currently to insert my own private ULA prefix as of RFC4193.

After 376.48_3 update flashed, Guest Network cannot disable MAC address filter.

I have the exact same problem with either 376.48_1 or 376.48_3. I've also tried various combinations of setting it manually at the command prompt:

nvram set wl1.1_macmode="disabled"
nvram commit

Nothing can turn off the Guest MAC filter once the main MAC filter is enabled.

I've turned off both 2.4/5 main MAC filters for now.

Just as a heads-up for those not familiar with the code: a large portion of the IPv6 stack is being replaced in the near future. Asus implemented new code that does not rely on radvd+rdnssd and other obsolete tools. They finally turned the new code on in the recent RT-AC87U beta release.

Most likely I will issue an *alpha* release in the near future with that same code enabled for people to experiment with it. The new code is far simpler and cleaner, so it's probably less likely to display quirks with various ISPs. Keep in mind however that this new code is still quite, well, new, so it might have other issues at this time.

Bottom line is, fighting with the current radvd-based implementation is just beating a dead horse. That code is going away in the coming weeks/months.

Can you confirm if they are using dnsmasq for these tasks in the new code? I dug around on my Linux system, adding a ULA prefix is just a matter of adding an address using that prefix to the br0 interface of the router, unless of course ASUS chose to use weird scripting instead so I will have to resort to sed trickery to modify the dnsmasq.conf.

@Merlin I have an issue with 376.48 and my rtac87u I don't know if it your firmware but when I foward the ports 5001 and 9001 to acess my dvr outside my home I can't acess ir from my network after a couple of minutes, just outside my network, but if I disable and enable the port fowarding it come back working, and after some minutes I have to do it again

Do you know what it can be?

Thanks

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

Can you confirm if they are using dnsmasq for these tasks in the new code? I dug around on my Linux system, adding a ULA prefix is just a matter of adding an address using that prefix to the br0 interface of the router, unless of course ASUS chose to use weird scripting instead so I will have to resort to sed trickery to modify the dnsmasq.conf.

it uses dnsmasq + odhcp6c.

@Merlin I have an issue with 376.48 and my rtac87u I don't know if it your firmware but when I foward the ports 5001 and 9001 to acess my dvr outside my home I can't acess ir from my network after a couple of minutes, just outside my network, but if I disable and enable the port fowarding it come back working, and after some minutes I have to do it again

Do you know what it can be?

No idea, port forwarding and NAT loopback are working fine for me. Try disabling either NAT acceleration or Adaptive QoS.

Just as a heads-up for those not familiar with the code: a large portion of the IPv6 stack is being replaced in the near future. Asus implemented new code that does not rely on radvd+rdnssd and other obsolete tools. ....

Good news indeed, glad they seem to be making it a priority\focus for the near term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!