What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 378.50 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Would you be willing to provide torrent links to the downloads on your website? I for one would seed them. Something to think about maybe :)

Torrent is an horrible way of distributing something as security-sensitive as a router firmware IMHO. Way too easy for people to end up with fake/modded versions through some random torrent they got "somewhere" (and the vast majority of users have no idea what SHA256 is, so they wouldn't have the know-how to validate their torrented version).

Having the official downloads available from one single, specific location, makes things safer IMHO.

I know Softpedia has started carrying my firmwares a few months ago. I don't really like the idea, but I won't stop them from doing so. That's one way people could go as an alternative download source, however I would make sure to validate any download's SHA256 signature first. I have no idea where Softpedia downloads it in the first place, and no way to guarantee that the file is not modified in any way, which is why I don't officially point users as them as a valid download site.

Perfect, so if you want the Analyzer use the beta that is the only difference than, THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR WORK.

CC

You can also flash the build from the Experimental folder if you want to make things "official" and get rid of the beta label. Might also avoid some confusion a few months from now when no one remembers for sure if beta3b had the same code as the final release or not.

Have you tried Google drive? It's free and you can use as much traffic as you like... You get 25 gigs storage for free and with 1.99 a month you get 125 gigs of storage if you need(and higher is available)

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Last time I shared a beta build with two users over Google Drive, they were bitching at how slow their download were. So regardless of where I host the files, someone, somewhere, will complain.

No, Mediafire is the only official download site for now, and I have no plan on moving any time soon. Maintaining additional mirror sites is also an added pain in the butt at release time. My release procedure is already complicated enough as it is with 6 firmwares + 1 README to upload all into separate folders, have two separate websites to update including a lengthy announce post to write, a Twitter feed to announce to, and Mediafire to update.

The current release procedure takes nearly two hours to complete.

Last edited:
I'm talking about the RT-N66U. Is there any change in wifi performance?

Shouldn't be, there has been no change in the RT-N66U wireless drivers for months (and I don't expect Asus to make any change to it any time soon).

Torrent is an horrible way of distributing something as security-sensitive as a router firmware IMHO. Way too easy for people to end up with fake/modded versions through some random torrent they got "somewhere" (and the vast majority of users have no idea what SHA256 is, so they wouldn't have the know-how to validate their torrented version).

Having the official downloads available from one single, specific location, makes things safer IMHO.

I know Softpedia has started carrying my firmwares a few months ago. I don't really like the idea, but I won't stop them from doing so. That's one way people could go as an alternative download source, however I would make sure to validate any download's SHA256 signature first. I have no idea where Softpedia downloads it in the first place, and no way to guarantee that the file is not modified in any way, which is why I don't officially point users as them as a valid download site.

If you have those kinds of concerns about rogue modded firmware-- and I too share that same concern---why don't you ask Softpedia to stop offering downloads that purport to be of your firmware, but which are of questionable provenance? I don't trust Softpedia, and besides they have so many confusing links, some of which are designed to trick ordinary consumers into downloading malware, that I never use that site...ever. If I were you, I would not want my work associated with such a site

And besides, how difficult is it for someone to find your site? Not at all. Just Google "Asus firmware" and other than the official Asus sites, your's is the only other firmware on the first page of such a search.

BTW I really like Mediafire. Great service.

So if I upgrade from 376.49_5 to one of the 50 betas, then upgrade to the final release, I don't need to perform a factory default reset?

RT-N66U

The same rule applies when going from 376.49_5 to one of the 50 betas: a factory default reset is needed the minute to come from a 376.xxx release into a 378.xxx release. It doesn't matter if that final release is 378.50 beta, 378.50 final, or the future 378.51. The jump accross 376_xxx to 378_xxx requires a factory default reset.

I have had the 378_50_ta running since Merlin released it. It's been running great. The only issue I found is that this afternoon the httpd process was gone and I could not go into the UI. I have been reviewing the traffic analyzer. Walked away from the computer for about a hour came back and it was gone. I rebooted the router and everything was ok again.

In hindsight I should have gone into syslog to see if there was a message but I didn't and the active log didn't service the reboot using the "reboot" command when I connected via telnet.

Has anyone else seen the httpd die on their routers running the ta version?

I've also had the httpd daemon die on me during development. It only happened once or twice, and I have never been able to reproduce it again, so I have no idea what might be happening.

Hi,

I updated my two routers (see footer) to the current version today. So far so good: Everything seems to work as needed. And yes, I did a reset of the settings to factory default! :eek:

But now I have the (regular) log entries on my AC68U device:
Strating with kernel: * Make sure sizeof(struct sw_struct)=160 is consistent, then come some messages from IDPfw: TrendMicro, dnsmasq exiting on receipt of SIGTERM and firewall restarts.

Any ideas what this means? Do I need to do something here? Or, how can I get rid of the issue? :rolleyes:

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

PS.: Can't post the log as it's blocked by CloudFlare...

Just normal debug output from the DPI engine.

378.50, is not successfully upgrading for me. Currently running 376.49_5, on an RT-AC68U. SHA-256 hash checks okay. Here's the response I receive...

FWFail.JPG

Thanks,

- ExITpro -

Boot the router with no USB disk plugged in, then try again flashing. Your router was most likely too low on free memory to apply the firmware upgrade.

@RMerlin

Update on latest version FW 3.0.0.4.378.50_0, on RT-AC87R
Don't see much difference in performance vs 49 versions.

Lost my IPv6 connectivity. Did not modify any settings after upgrade - any suggestions? It used to work fine on previous version, my ISP Comcast.

Thx

Comcast. <shrug>

For one specific firmware version, I can have one Comcast user who has flawless IPv6 connectivity, another who has trouble getting an IP, and another who will never be able to get one. All with the same ISP, all with the same firmware version.

IPv6 is one giant experiment at this point IMHO.

This is a qoute unqoute excerpt from a post Merlin made awhile back to someone asking about higher power levels

"Personally I don't waste my time with output power adjustment. This will be useless if your client at the other end is still unable to reach your router back with its own signal. It's like yelling louder, but the person answering you is still mumbling.

The only way to really improve range is by using better antennas."

I would start with scanning the air for networks on the same channel and trying to advert away along with disabling BG protection (personal choice)

Oh dear - didn't mean to go down this rabbit hole.

Many of us are using the fork because it seems to give better WiFi performance on the N66 routers (if you search here you will find many discussions on this and how the fork is closer to the original Asus WiFi performance for the N66).

I am on an acre - when I scan there are no other networks. I am not adjusting the power levels.

Again all I am asking is to see if anyone using an N66 had seen a difference on WiFi performance with 378.50 vs earlier versions.

Edit - just seen Merlin said there is no change in the N66U WiFi drivers so I will stick with the fork and will monitor www.eero.com going forward :D

Last edited:
Edit - just seen Merlin said there is no change in the N66U WiFi drivers so I will stick with the fork and will monitor www.eero.com going forward :D

Their own website seem to indicate that to cover a single apartment you will need two of their devices. So if your intention is to improve your range/coverage, that product is probably going to have a coverage that's inferior to any of the mid/high end products from Asus or Netgear. Pretty sure two RT-N66U would have better coverage than two Eero's.

Hello Merlin

I have USB modem Huawei E3276 and ASUS RT-68U (firmware 349_50). The modem works only RAS-mode and speed limit 20mbit/s. It's problem in many users. For example on forum: http://www.sweclockers.com/forum/146-asus/1262163-asus-rt-ac66u-huawei-e3276/
"cdc_ncm drivaren finns bara för kärnor 2.6.38 eller över.
ASUS är på kärna 2.6.36 och då är det kört med höghastighetsstöd!"

I understood that in new release of firmware Asus added to support cdc_ncm и RNDIS but I was wrong...

But in 349_50 has menu item "Enable JFFS custom scripts and configs". Is it possible run script for modem in NDIS-mode?

Sorry fo bad English...

EDIT: I have now switch back to 378_50 build and all kernel complain are gone.
resolv.dnsmasq still contain 4 rows

I have found interssting issue between my two 68U regarding, kernel: Dead loop on virtual device vlan10, fix it urgently!

If I look at "resolv.dnsmasq" in 378_50_ta build i get:

cat /tmp/resolv.dnsmasq
server=/myprovider.com/my.dns.98.2 <<== already in resolv.conf
server=/local/my.dns.98.2
server=/myprovider.com/my.dns.101.3 <<== already in resolv.conf
server=/local/my.dns.101.3

cat /tmp/resolv.conf
nameserver my.dns.98.2
nameserver my.dns.101.3

There I have no kernel message.
and in 378_50 build:

cat /tmp/resolv.dnsmasq
server=/local/my.dns.199.12
server=/local/my.dns.199.13

cat /tmp/resolv.conf
nameserver my.dns.199.12
nameserver my.dns.199.13

Hi Merlin,
thanks for the firmware, it's my first time on your release and already feels great.

There is however a security issue present in the AC87U_378.50 firmware. I've reported it to ASUS already few months ago but still they did not resolve it. Could you please look into it?

The unwanted WPS at 5GHz bug description:

To reproduce the bug:
1) make sure WPS is disabled in the web panel
2) reboot router
3) after reboot web panel states that WPS is off. On the contrary third party network analyzers (e.g. Wifi analyzer for Android or even pure Windows 8.1) show and confirm that 5GHz has still WPS operational.

hi

updated from 374.43, so far so good I think.

I had a few problems getting my cannon printer to connect via wps but the second time it seemed to connect.

One thing I would like to ask is when I was setting my n66u up after the firmware update on one of the screens it mentioned something about system time will not be synced with some server?

Not quite sure if I need to do something?

anyway thanks:)

*power cycle/reboot and full reset was performed

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!